Unloading .DLLs from memory
Author Message
 Unloading .DLLs from memory

Quote:

> Does anyone know an API (or other way) to detect a .DLL that's currently
> running, then unload it?

 How many other applications are accessing that DLL when you want to
unload it?

--
Questions?  Comments?
--Patrick Bass

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Unloading .DLLs from memory

Quote:

>> Does anyone know an API (or other way) to detect a .DLL that's currently
>> running, then unload it?
> How many other applications are accessing that DLL when you want to
>unload it?

You shouldn't attempt to do this, unless you're sure that all programs
referencing this module have crashed.

But in these circumstances, I combine GetModuleHandle() with
FreeModule() in 16-bit API. Note that may crash Windows.

These exist in 32-bit API, but I'm pretty sure the functionality must be
somewhat fundamentally different. I haven't tested it, so I can't report
on the details.

HTH,
Bart.

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Unloading .DLLs from memory

says...

Quote:

>>> Does anyone know an API (or other way) to detect a .DLL that's
currently
>>> running, then unload it?

>> How many other applications are accessing that DLL when you want to
>>unload it?

>You shouldn't attempt to do this, unless you're sure that all programs
>referencing this module have crashed.

>But in these circumstances, I combine GetModuleHandle() with
>FreeModule() in 16-bit API. Note that may crash Windows.

>These exist in 32-bit API, but I'm pretty sure the functionality must
be
>somewhat fundamentally different. I haven't tested it, so I can't
report
>on the details.

>HTH,
>Bart.

Bart, many thanks for your help. I'll try it.

Cya,

M.S.

Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Unloading .DLLs from memory

Quote:

>> Does anyone know an API (or other way) to detect a .DLL that's
currently
>> running, then unload it?

> How many other applications are accessing that DLL when you want to
>unload it?

Patrick, thanx for answering me.

I need to do this during the install. Seems to be conflicts that cause
a GPF when the install is in progress, so it seemed logicial to unload
the .DLLs that are "causing it". Users will have already gotten the
standard "Please make sure all apps have been closed" msg, but we all
know how dumb users can be. So, I guess the answer to your question is,
if any other apps ARE accessing, it doesn't matter. Let's unload
anyway.

Thanks again,

M.S.

Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Unloading .DLLs from memory

2. Unload dll from memory

3. Unloading an Activex dll from Memory....

4. Unload .DLL file from memory

5. Unload COM Dll From Memory

6. Unload ActiveX-DLL from memory

7. How can I unload an DLL of memory ?

9. Unload 16bits dll from memory in 32bits system

10. Unload a DLL/Task from memory

11. Unload a DLL/Task from memory

12. VBDOS - proj FORM load/unload memory problem