Word Perfect data via Visual Basic DDE
Author Message
 Word Perfect data via Visual Basic DDE

Hi,

I'm trying to convince my VB app to extract a system variable from
Word Perfect, but am hitting a brick wall. The idea was to use DDE
as follows:

Sub Command1_Click ()

      Text1.LinkTopic = "WPWin60_Macros|Commands"
      Text1.LinkMode = 2
      Text1.LinkItem = "?PathTemplate"
      Text1.LinkRequest
      Text1.LinkMode = 0

End Sub

This _does_ seem to make the DDE connection, but no matter what I use
as Text1.LinkItem I always get the error:

"Foreign application won't perform DDE method or operation."

I've looked everywhere for documentation but can't seem to get any
further than this. Can any VB or WP experts help me get moving again?

Even being able to, say, type "hello" into a WP document would feel
like progress....

Cheers,

    Gil

Sat, 02 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Word Perfect data via Visual Basic DDE
WordPerfect supplies a set of Developer tools for working with VB.  I
believe you will find them on the installation CD.

More information is available from Novell Developer Relations at (801)
228-9510.

  -- Robert

Quote:
>Hi,
>I'm trying to convince my VB app to extract a system variable from
>Word Perfect, but am hitting a brick wall. The idea was to use DDE
>as follows:
>Sub Command1_Click ()
>      Text1.LinkTopic = "WPWin60_Macros|Commands"
>      Text1.LinkMode = 2
>      Text1.LinkItem = "?PathTemplate"
>      Text1.LinkRequest
>      Text1.LinkMode = 0
>End Sub
>This _does_ seem to make the DDE connection, but no matter what I use
>as Text1.LinkItem I always get the error:
>"Foreign application won't perform DDE method or operation."
>I've looked everywhere for documentation but can't seem to get any
>further than this. Can any VB or WP experts help me get moving again?
>Even being able to, say, type "hello" into a WP document would feel
>like progress....
>Cheers,
>    Gil

Sat, 02 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Word Perfect data via Visual Basic DDE
Gil,

If you are using PerfectOffice, it ships with a couple of VBX's that
give you OLE Automation like control over PerfectOffice apps
including WordPerfect.  I don't know if you get VBPJ, but they did an
article in May 95 on this subject.  If you don't get it let me know
and I will try and extract it for you along with the source code that
they provided.  It is also available on Compuserve GO VBPJ.

Sat, 02 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Word Perfect data via Visual Basic DDE
Robert, Darrin,

Thanks very much for your replies. The WP VB development tools you
mention sound very useful and I'll be on the look out for them. For
now, though, I've managed to finish the task at hand so the heat is
off....

Thanks again,

   Gil

Quote:

>Gil,
>If you are using PerfectOffice, it ships with a couple of VBX's that
>give you OLE Automation like control over PerfectOffice apps
>including WordPerfect.  I don't know if you get VBPJ, but they did an
>article in May 95 on this subject.  If you don't get it let me know
>and I will try and extract it for you along with the source code that
>they provided.  It is also available on Compuserve GO VBPJ.

Mon, 04 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need to read and write Word Perfect 6.x files from Visual Basic

2. Controlling Excel 5.0 from Visual Basic 4.0 via DDE

3. Using MS-Word via Visual Basic?

4. setting location of data files in CrystalReport via Visual Basic

5. Data Acquisition via Visual Basic

6. Word vs Word Perfect's icon for file stamp

7. compatibility between Word Perfect 5.1 and Word 97

8. Connecting to Access via Visual Basic via Internet

9. Opening a Word document via DDE

10. cant get Word to pass values via DDE or DDEAUTO to my VB5 program

11. *** Sending data via DDE

12. data via dde winword -> access