Changing registry settings
Author Message
 Changing registry settings

I would appreciate any help avail.  I am not a programmer but would like to
do something simple with VB.  However, I cannot seem to find a function
that will change a registry setting.  The registry functions I found seem
to apply to new registry settings but I would just like to modify an
already existing setting.  Suggestions??
--
These comments do not necessarily reflect the views of
Landis & Staefa, Inc.

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Changing registry settings

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT play with the Registry as a way to learn programming
(you did say you're not a programmer)!!! There're **far** less dangerous
things you can do to learn VB. If you inadvertently damage the Registry,
your machine may lock up and fail to reboot. You may even have to re-install
the Operating System. If you MUST play with the Registry, ensure you make
backups of the file USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT files found in your Windows
directory under Win95, before you start playing. I'd suggest that you buy a
Tech-Yourself book and leave the more involved stuff until later.

Best Regards
--Vic--

Quote:
>I would appreciate any help avail.  I am not a programmer but would like to
>do something simple with VB.  However, I cannot seem to find a function
>that will change a registry setting.  The registry functions I found seem
>to apply to new registry settings but I would just like to modify an
>already existing setting.  Suggestions??
>--
>These comments do not necessarily reflect the views of
>Landis & Staefa, Inc.

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Changing registry settings

If your want to set up a Configuration type of information, I
recommend using data files instead. It's safer.

A simple Do it your self ini reading might look like this.

InFIle = FreeFile
Open "Drive:\Path\to\file" for input as #InFile

Do until Eof(InFile)
        line input #InFIle, InLine$
        if instr(InLine$, "Whatever" then
                'Parse line for user options then set option
        elseif instr(InLine$, "Whatever2" then
                'So on for every user option
        end if
loop

If you looking to associate file type to your app, Use WinExplorer or
File manager to manually set the associations.

Else, have a boot disk and back up of your dats. (See a previous
poster to this tread for the exact ones.) Because, You can really
{*filter*}up the system.

On 9 Feb 1998 20:18:09 GMT, "Kevin Blaisdell"

Quote:

>I would appreciate any help avail.  I am not a programmer but would like to
>do something simple with VB.  However, I cannot seem to find a function
>that will change a registry setting.  The registry functions I found seem
>to apply to new registry settings but I would just like to modify an
>already existing setting.  Suggestions??

Grey Cloak
(*)==================================================(*)
|~| Web site: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~grycloak        |~|
| | Sections: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~grycloak/towers | |
| | Tarot  -- http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~grycloak/tarot  | |
|_| Dreams -- http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~grycloak/dreams |_|
(*)==================================================(*)

Sat, 29 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Change Registry Setting? (MVP)

2. changing registry settings

3. need to dynamically change registry settings

4. Changing registry setting with vbs

5. Changing Registry Settings

6. Changing Registry Setting

7. How do I activate changed registry settings without rebooting?

8. How do I get changed registry settings to come into effect without rebooting?

9. How do I activate changed registry settings without rebooting?

10. How do I get changed registry settings to come into effect without rebooting?

11. Registry Setting to Change Save As Directory

12. Changing security settings on registry hives with vbscript