cant get Word to pass values via DDE or DDEAUTO to my VB5 program
Author Message
 cant get Word to pass values via DDE or DDEAUTO to my VB5 program

    i have a form named DDETEST with a textbox control named DDELink.  I
can get Word to link with the VB5 program and display the contents of
textbox.text with {DDE DDETEXT DDELink}.  what i want to do is use DDE
to pass a parameter to my VB5 app so it can return different values for
different fields.  for example, instead of having 3 textboxs, one each
for LAST NAME and FIRST NAME and ADDRESS, i want to be able to use DDE
in Word to ask for each of the values.  for example {DDE DDETest DDELink
"&LastName"} and then {DDE DDETest DDELink "&FirstName"} so one Textbox
control does all the work.  i know that the textbox can take commands
via the .Execute command, but whats the syntax in Word to send values?
anyone?  is there another way to do this?

Mon, 07 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cant get Word to pass values via DDE or DDEAUTO to my VB5 program
The easiest way to do this would be to investigate using the Word object
model. DDE is really an outdated way of controlling applications. OLE
automation is the way to go. (I used to like using DDE too, but quickly
found its limitations, especially when it comes to fully controlling the
server application)

John.

www.shsolutions.com

Quote:

>    i have a form named DDETEST with a textbox control named DDELink.  I
>can get Word to link with the VB5 program and display the contents of
>textbox.text with {DDE DDETEXT DDELink}.  what i want to do is use DDE
>to pass a parameter to my VB5 app so it can return different values for
>different fields.  for example, instead of having 3 textboxs, one each
>for LAST NAME and FIRST NAME and ADDRESS, i want to be able to use DDE
>in Word to ask for each of the values.  for example {DDE DDETest DDELink
>"&LastName"} and then {DDE DDETest DDELink "&FirstName"} so one Textbox
>control does all the work.  i know that the textbox can take commands
>via the .Execute command, but whats the syntax in Word to send values?
>anyone?  is there another way to do this?

Wed, 09 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Passing values into program via command line

2. Getting at word 97 via IE3.0 in VB5

3. Opening a Word document via DDE

4. Word Perfect data via Visual Basic DDE

5. Creating Personal Program Manager Groups via DDE

6. vb6-SQL value gets truncated in HTML text box via webclass response.write

7. Pass VBScript Variable to HTML Textbox via Value Property

8. Passing attachments to Winfax 10.0 via a VB program

9. Passing drive\dir\filename params to a DOS program via SHELL

10. Getting values of Excel cells from word VBA

11. Help Needed - Passing Value from Access 97 to Word 97 Macro

12. Export Access Queries to a Word Doc via a VB6 Program