Setup will not install to Program Files?
Author Message
 Setup will not install to Program Files?

I am releasing an upgrade to a program and because it includes
aditional ActiveX controls not in the previous version I am packaging
it as a full setup program.   My beta tester reports that the
Setup.exe, although prompting to install to the correct folder, will
not install.  The message received is... Setup cannot install to
c:\Program Files\my_program_name.  Please choose another.

It will install to Accessories...or most anywhere else, including a
different folder in Program Files. Just not in the same folder as the
prior version. (The prior version was uninstalled using the Control
Panel Add/Remove programs, and the folder and other program specific
files that it creates remained as expected.)

It installed properly on my development machine just fine, but that is
to be expected.   Anyone have any clues?  I'm sure I am missing
something simple.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Setup will not install to Program Files?
Hi,
Could the reason be because there is a file with the same name as your
folder should have?
I have run into the same problem once.

Regards,
Adrian Frank
EFP Soft kKB

Quote:
> I am releasing an upgrade to a program and because it includes
> aditional ActiveX controls not in the previous version I am packaging
> it as a full setup program.   My beta tester reports that the
> Setup.exe, although prompting to install to the correct folder, will
> not install.  The message received is... Setup cannot install to
> c:\Program Files\my_program_name.  Please choose another.

> It will install to Accessories...or most anywhere else, including a
> different folder in Program Files. Just not in the same folder as the
> prior version. (The prior version was uninstalled using the Control
> Panel Add/Remove programs, and the folder and other program specific
> files that it creates remained as expected.)

> It installed properly on my development machine just fine, but that is
> to be expected.   Anyone have any clues?  I'm sure I am missing
> something simple.

> Thanks in advance.
> Mark

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Setup will not install to Program Files?
I don't think so. The windows uninstaller leaves just two ascii files
in the directory. The new program version uses the same files, no
related names at all.  The program only had an internet control added
to it.

I have a second beta tester installing it now....

Mark

Quote:
> Hi,
> Could the reason be because there is a file with the same name as your
> folder should have?
> I have run into the same problem once.

> Regards,
> Adrian Frank
> EFP Soft kKB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Setup will not install to Program Files?
Second tester installed without a problem.  This make me wonder now how
isolated this will be, or will I get widespread complaints that it will
not install?  Are there "read only" locks on a directory in Win98?

What else could do it?  The questions keep piling up... Hopefully just
this one computer hiccupped.

Mark

Quote:
> I don't think so. The windows uninstaller leaves just two ascii files
> in the directory. The new program version uses the same files, no
> related names at all.  The program only had an internet control added
> to it.

> I have a second beta tester installing it now....

> Mark

> > Hi,
> > Could the reason be because there is a file with the same name as
your
> > folder should have?
> > I have run into the same problem once.

> > Regards,
> > Adrian Frank
> > EFP Soft kKB

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB Setup not installing .dll files

2. Does setup.lst need to be changed????, Cab files, Install, Setup

3. Installing fonts with the setup program

4. Install program created with Setup Wizard

5. Installing fonts using a setup program?

6. Creating Install Program Using Setup Wizard

7. Evaluation of the Install Shield Setup Program

8. Unexpected Error, installing a program created with VB 4.0 (installation with Setup Wizard)

9. Setup program shows negative space on NT install.

10. VB4 32-bit install program using Setup wizard

11. Installing Fonts in Setup Program

12. Safe for scripting: install OCX with setup program wizard (no internet download