CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?
Author Message
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

I can't offer any first hand experience with CRW 5.0, but I have heard a
rumor (from a fairly reliable source) that a new method for creating
reports will be forthcoming -- possibly with VB5.  The gist of the rumor
was that the reporting engine in Access would be unbundled, and available
from within a VB application.

Also, I believe that Videosoft is about to (or has recently) released a new
control with enhanced reporting capabilities that may serve as a
replacement for Crystal.

I too have gotten the offers to upgrade to CRW 5.0, but not having been
overly happy with Crystal in the past, have decided to wait and see what
the upcoming VB5 release will look like before I purchase *any* new
add-ons.

Quote:
> So, can anyone please give some feedback on wether I should stick with my
> old CRW 3.0 or port to CRW 5.0.
> Since I'm using VB4.0 pro, my main concern is how VB4.0 and CRW 5.0 works
> (or NOT works) together.

Sat, 01 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

Hello fellow programmers...
I've read and heard so much negative things about Crystal Reports 5.0, but
can it really be all that bad..?
I'm now trying to convince myself that I really need to port my CRW 3.0
that ships with VB4.0 to this brand new CRW 5.0, but as I am a professional
programmer, I'm not willing to sacrifice my current projects for the
benefits of a new reporting tool.
So, can anyone please give some feedback on wether I should stick with my
old CRW 3.0 or port to CRW 5.0.
Since I'm using VB4.0 pro, my main concern is how VB4.0 and CRW 5.0 works
(or NOT works) together.
Any feedback would be very much appreaciated...

Bj?rn

Sat, 01 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

We have recently upgraded our Crystal Report Pro to version 5 Pro and all
our report templates written in version 4 stop working ( shocking !!! our
customers are screaming !!!!!! ). What happened is that if we load our old
templates directly into version 5. The reports went into infinite loop

template from scratch, it's OK. So what we have to do now is to re-create
all our templates ( we have over 50 of them !!!!).

David

Quote:
> Hello fellow programmers...
> I've read and heard so much negative things about Crystal Reports 5.0,
but
> can it really be all that bad..?
> I'm now trying to convince myself that I really need to port my CRW 3.0
> that ships with VB4.0 to this brand new CRW 5.0, but as I am a
professional
> programmer, I'm not willing to sacrifice my current projects for the
> benefits of a new reporting tool.
> So, can anyone please give some feedback on wether I should stick with my
> old CRW 3.0 or port to CRW 5.0.
> Since I'm using VB4.0 pro, my main concern is how VB4.0 and CRW 5.0 works
> (or NOT works) together.
> Any feedback would be very much appreaciated...

> Bj?rn

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

Avoid Crystal Reports 5.0 for now.  The selection criteria does not get
correctly translated into the SQL query used by the report engine and the
preview window GPFs if you press buttons in the "wrong" order.  Both
problems were acknowledged by Crystal tech support but are low on the
priority list for correction.  That suggests that some other really
horrible problems are ahead of these problems on the priority list. Both
problems are intolerable and suggest minimal testing and QA on the part
of Seagate/Crystal.  We were forced to revert back to Crystal 4.5.

says...

Quote:

>Hello fellow programmers...
>I've read and heard so much negative things about Crystal Reports 5.0, but
>can it really be all that bad..?
>I'm now trying to convince myself that I really need to port my CRW 3.0
>that ships with VB4.0 to this brand new CRW 5.0, but as I am a professional
>programmer, I'm not willing to sacrifice my current projects for the
>benefits of a new reporting tool.
>So, can anyone please give some feedback on wether I should stick with my
>old CRW 3.0 or port to CRW 5.0.
>Since I'm using VB4.0 pro, my main concern is how VB4.0 and CRW 5.0 works
>(or NOT works) together.
>Any feedback would be very much appreaciated...

>Bj?rn

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

I have not used Crystal 5.0 that much, but there are definitely a lot of
problems.  However, I am sticking with 5.0 since it has some features
(sub-reports, multiple sections, conditional formatting) which I really
have to have.  So, for me putting up with the many bugs was the best
option.  If you don't specifically need any of the new features in 5.0 I
would hold off for now.  They are talking about a bug-fix release around
the end of the year, but I would not hold your breath.

Quote:
> Hello fellow programmers...
> I've read and heard so much negative things about Crystal Reports 5.0,
but
> can it really be all that bad..?
> I'm now trying to convince myself that I really need to port my CRW 3.0
> that ships with VB4.0 to this brand new CRW 5.0, but as I am a
professional
> programmer, I'm not willing to sacrifice my current projects for the
> benefits of a new reporting tool.
> So, can anyone please give some feedback on wether I should stick with my
> old CRW 3.0 or port to CRW 5.0.
> Since I'm using VB4.0 pro, my main concern is how VB4.0 and CRW 5.0 works
> (or NOT works) together.
> Any feedback would be very much appreaciated...

> Bj?rn

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

I am in complete agreement!  Although there are some very nice features
that CRW 5.0 offers, they are sill immature and buggy!  It's sad to be
introduced to some advanced capabilities that have the potential for
greatness, only to have to struggle with un-necessary programming flaws!

Let it reach adolesence before making a date for conversion!

Thu, 06 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

I've been using Crystal Reports 5.0 with VB4.0a and haven't seen any
problems with the selection criteria or
experienced more than the usual number of GPFs.
This is not to say that Crystal Repoorts 5.0 does not have its share of
problems.
One problem is that the report time and date don't get refreshed, they
display the last time the report was modified.
One complaint is that you can't populate a report with an RDO resultset,
and Crystal still hasn't figured out how to export their reports into
MsWord or Excel.

Chuck Dennis

Sun, 09 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

Quote:

> We have recently upgraded our Crystal Report Pro to version 5 Pro and all
> our report templates written in version 4 stop working ( shocking !!! our
> customers are screaming !!!!!! ). What happened is that if we load our old
> templates directly into version 5. The reports went into infinite loop

> template from scratch, it's OK. So what we have to do now is to re-create
> all our templates ( we have over 50 of them !!!!).

> David

> > Hello fellow programmers...
> > I've read and heard so much negative things about Crystal Reports 5.0,
> but
> > can it really be all that bad..?
> > I'm now trying to convince myself that I really need to port my CRW 3.0
> > that ships with VB4.0 to this brand new CRW 5.0, but as I am a
> professional
> > programmer, I'm not willing to sacrifice my current projects for the
> > benefits of a new reporting tool.
> > So, can anyone please give some feedback on wether I should stick with my
> > old CRW 3.0 or port to CRW 5.0.
> > Since I'm using VB4.0 pro, my main concern is how VB4.0 and CRW 5.0 works
> > (or NOT works) together.
> > Any feedback would be very much appreaciated...

> > Bj?rn

Hi David,

I found this as well recently.  In my case the problem was related to the
file PDBJET.DLL.  The version of this file from 5.0 caused the report to
go into an infinite loop.
There are two fixes for this.  Convert the report to use PDBDAO.DLL or
you can get an updated PDBJET.DLL from Crystal's Web Site at <A
HREF="http://www.img.seagatesoftware.com"> www.img.seagatesoftware.com
</A>

There is a file called CRW4516.ZIP with the PDBJET.DLL.  The rest of the
files in here are for fixes to the 16 bit Crystal 4.5.  The only one you
should replace is the PDBJET.DLL.

Brian Dong

Sun, 09 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

Hi all,

Just a couple of questions regarding CRW 5.0 runtime. Our apps use the
CRW runtime API from VB3.

The report print preview window under CRW 5.0 does not have a "Cancel"
button (it is referred to in documentation!). Does anyone else have this
problem?

Also, when previewing a relatively large report, the window blanks out
and appears to be doing nothing while it loads the data. In CRW 4.X,
there was a record counter that at least showed the user that something
was happening while the report loads data.

Has anyone experienced theses problems?

We are currently still trying to decide if we are going to upgrade our
applications to CRW version 5.0 - there seems to be many problems.

Thanks,
Dave

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

Yes,  I have noticed the lack of any counter or indicator of processing.
It is my assumption that this is intentional to improve performance, but I
would prefer to have the counter even if it meant a slight performance hit.
 Although there is no cancel button, I have found the square box ("Stop")
will do about the same thing after the first page has been processed.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> Just a couple of questions regarding CRW 5.0 runtime. Our apps use the
> CRW runtime API from VB3.

> The report print preview window under CRW 5.0 does not have a "Cancel"
> button (it is referred to in documentation!). Does anyone else have this
> problem?

> Also, when previewing a relatively large report, the window blanks out
> and appears to be doing nothing while it loads the data. In CRW 4.X,
> there was a record counter that at least showed the user that something
> was happening while the report loads data.

> Has anyone experienced theses problems?

> We are currently still trying to decide if we are going to upgrade our
> applications to CRW version 5.0 - there seems to be many problems.

> Thanks,
> Dave

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

Quote:

> > Yes,  I have noticed the lack of any counter or indicator of processing.
> > It is my assumption that this is intentional to improve performance, but I
> > would prefer to have the counter even if it meant a slight performance hit.
> >  Although there is no cancel button, I have found the square box ("Stop")
> > will do about the same thing after the first page has been processed.

> Actually I should have said "Close" button. There was a "Close" button
> in CRW 4.0.

> RE The record counter - I can just imagine my users getting confused
> already!

> Anyway, I'm asking Seagate these questions so if they come up with
> anything useful I'll post their response.

> Dave.

Hi Dave,

The Close button was removed in favor of the System controls to close the
window.  This made it easier when printing to an MDI window.  The Close
button is still under review to be added back in.
Several requests have been sent in for this because of the reson you
stated.

Sincerely,
Brian Dong

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

Quote:

--
[Microsoft Mail]
WG=0

Sun, 16 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CRW 5.0 or not CRW 5.0 ?

Quote:

> Yes,  I have noticed the lack of any counter or indicator of processing.
> It is my assumption that this is intentional to improve performance, but I
> would prefer to have the counter even if it meant a slight performance hit.
>  Although there is no cancel button, I have found the square box ("Stop")
> will do about the same thing after the first page has been processed.

Actually I should have said "Close" button. There was a "Close" button
in CRW 4.0.

RE The record counter - I can just imagine my users getting confused
already!

Anyway, I'm asking Seagate these questions so if they come up with
anything useful I'll post their response.

Dave.

Sun, 16 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. CRW 5.0 with VB 5.0

2. System Crash when editing subreport in CRW 5.0 (32 bit only)

3. CRW 5.0 And VB 4 Pro SETUP

4. Setup a CRW 5.0 Upgrade

5. CRW 5.0 dependencies or whither Crpaig32.dll

6. Gray Screen with CRW 5.0

7. Update CRW 5.0 from 5.0.6.91 to 5.0.6.96

8. Any DateAdd Function in CRW 5.0?

9. VB / CRW 5.0 GPFs with dao2516.dll

10. Using CRW 4.6 /VB 5.0 to report Oracle 8.0 object table data

11. Subreports with CRW 5.0 OCX

12. Memory full error i crw 5.0