vb, ftp and ibm mainframes bad medicine!
Author Message
 vb, ftp and ibm mainframes bad medicine!

I've been trying to do an ftp from an nt workstation using a VB4
program I wrote and a ftp ocx.  I have tried several vendors and all
lack some capability or do not work.  I tried crescent technologies
but they didn't have a way to quote a command to the ibm mainframe ftp
server.  I tried mabry software but they sent a PASV command to the
ibm mainframe ftp server that made it choke.  Has anyone found an
Visual Basic ocx that works with the ibm mainframe ftp?

I am currently trying the microsoft beta 2.0 internet ftp which
someone told me works sometimes.
Visit my homepage at http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~rlang

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 vb, ftp and ibm mainframes bad medicine!

Bob,

Quote:
>I tried crescent technologies
>but they didn't have a way to quote a command to the ibm mainframe ftp
>server.  I tried mabry software but they sent a PASV command to the
>ibm mainframe ftp server that made it choke.  Has anyone found an
>visual basic ocx that works with the ibm mainframe ftp?

I'm desperatly searching for someone who can set up a temporary
account on such an ibm mainframe server.  I wrote the Mabry FTP
control and as far as I know have correctly implemented RFC
recommendations for the use of the PASV and PORT commands.

Obviously something is very wrong, either my understanding of the RFC
or the IBM implementaion.  In any event I can assure you that given
access to an account demonstrating the problem that I can fix the
problem with a few hours of the time I get started.  I find it hard to
believe that none of these ibm mainframes support anonymous FTP, but
after weeks of asking people I still don't know of a server to use for
debugging the problem.

In one of the microsoft newsgroups I posted an offer for a free FTP
control with source to the first person who can point me to an ibm
server that demonstrates the problem and which I can use for testing.
I'm now prepared to up the ante by offering a free copy of Mabry's
Internet Pak (without source) to the first person who can help me out.

Zane

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 vb, ftp and ibm mainframes bad medicine!

Quote:

>I've been trying to do an ftp from an nt workstation using a VB4
>program I wrote and a ftp ocx.  I have tried several vendors and all
>lack some capability or do not work.  I tried crescent technologies
>but they didn't have a way to quote a command to the ibm mainframe ftp
>server.  I tried mabry software but they sent a PASV command to the
>ibm mainframe ftp server that made it choke.  Has anyone found an
>visual basic ocx that works with the ibm mainframe ftp?
>I am currently trying the microsoft beta 2.0 internet ftp which
>someone told me works sometimes.
>Visit my homepage at http://www2.netdoor.com/~rlang

  I did find that the Microsoft beta FTP OCX seems to work fine with
the mainframe for what I need it to do and I am using that.

Bob

Visit my homepage at http://www2.netdoor.com/~rlang

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ftp and ibm mainframe bad medicine

2. FTP Help with SITE Command for IBM Mainframe Server Using VB

3. FTP and IBM Mainframes

4. FTP to IBM Mainframe?

5. FTP Custom Control and Remote Submit to an IBM Mainframe

6. FTP to IBM MVS mainframe

7. Using Internet Transfer Control and FTP to IBM MVS Mainframe

8. Connect with an IBM Mainframe

9. CPI-C communication to IBM Mainframe

10. Using INet control to put a text file on an IBM mainframe

11. IBM Mainframe VSAM datafile

12. send commands to IBM mainframe...