How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4
Author Message
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

Is there a way to disable the windows shortcut keys ie: Alt+Tab or
Ctrl+ESC or F1,  I want all keystrokes out side of my application
suspended.

My program will run as a display in a public location,  I need
keyboard input from the public, but I do not want them to have access
to windows.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

Quote:
>Is there a way to disable the windows shortcut keys ie: Alt+Tab or
>Ctrl+ESC or F1,  I want all keystrokes out side of my application
>suspended.

Is this Win95 or Win3.1x?

Win3.1x:

Use the SetSysModal API on your form. Make sure you remove and set it when
another form is to be loaded.

--
VB Info: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/visual.htm
FAQ: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/faq.htm

Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

Snip

Quote:
>Is this Win95 or Win3.1x?

Sorry I forgot to mention,  Win 95 and I can not find a SetSysModal 32
API
 AHHHHH!!!!!!!!
What am I to do!!!!!!!!!!

I could just risk it, but the program will be runnning on at least 10
computers at 10 different locations.

Rob

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

Quote:
>>Is this Win95 or Win3.1x?
>Sorry I forgot to mention,  Win 95 and I can not find a SetSysModal 32
>API

No wonder, it's not implemented.

Quote:
>AHHHHH!!!!!!!! What am I to do!!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible to make your app the shell in Win95?

--
VB Info: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/visual.htm
FAQ: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/faq.htm
Knowledge Base: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/kb.htm

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

Quote:

>Sorry I forgot to mention,  Win 95 and I can not find a SetSysModal 32

That's because there isn't one. From the SDK:

The SetSysModalWindow function is not implemented in the Win32
API. The new input model does not allow for System Modal windows.

Joe

Never underestimate the power of a WAG.

http://www.citilink.com/~jgarrick

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

<<<Snip>>>

Quote:
>Is it possible to make your app the shell in Win95?

I do not know how to make it the "shell"  Please tell me more.

BTW :-   I have been able to control some keyboard functions by using
SetWindowPos  and  SetForegroundWindow  and  SetActiveWindow
but this is very unreliable.  Some applications and dialog boxes will
not cooperate.  This is fairly easy to control by not installing
problem programs on the system.   This may be my only option;  to make
the installation so limited that nothing can cause a problem.   But
Win95 well that is still an issue.

Rob

Thu, 17 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

Quote:
>>Is it possible to make your app the shell in Win95?
>I do not know how to make it the "shell"  Please tell me more.

In Windows 3.1, you had a setting in SYSTEM.INI that referred to which app
being started as the shell. The shell is equal to the functions of Program
Manager (it's the standard shell). When you modified the setting in
SYSTEM.INI, you could use your own app as the shell. Since you need Program
Manager to run other apps, you could control the entire system.

I don't know how Win95 handles this, but some poking in the registry might
be worth wile.

--
VB Info: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/visual.htm
FAQ: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/faq.htm
Knowledge Base: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/kb.htm

Programmers do it in 16 bit

Fri, 18 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

Quote:

> >>Is it possible to make your app the shell in Win95?

> >I do not know how to make it the "shell"  Please tell me more.

> In Windows 3.1, you had a setting in SYSTEM.INI that referred to which
app
> being started as the shell. The shell is equal to the functions of
Program
> Manager (it's the standard shell). When you modified the setting in
> SYSTEM.INI, you could use your own app as the shell. Since you need
Program
> Manager to run other apps, you could control the entire system.

> I don't know how Win95 handles this, but some poking in the registry
might
> be worth wile.

Win95 has the same setting for shell in Win.ini.  But after the shell
ends, you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and select shut down.  I dunno why...
 Have you ever had your system crash and all you see is the wallpaper?
Explorer is the shell for win95, and if it crashes, it ends without
stopping windows, so you have to hit c-a-d...

Pete

P.S.  Programmers do it in 16-bit?  What about 32-bit?

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

Quote:
>Win95 has the same setting for shell in Win.ini. But after the shell
>ends, you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and select shut down.  I dunno why...

Maybe because the Shell didn't send "I'm quitting, so you'd better leave
too" to Windows?

Quote:
> Have you ever had your system crash and all you see is the wallpaper?

I don't use Win95. He he.

Quote:
>Explorer is the shell for win95, and if it crashes, it ends without
>stopping windows, so you have to hit c-a-d...

That's why I have this clock of mine on screen. If Program Manager goes
down, I simply activate the clock and press F2. Voila, Exit Windows and
restart.

Quote:
>P.S.  Programmers do it in 16-bit?

Some of them, yes.

Quote:
>What about 32-bit?

Don't you think that would be too exhausting? (never tried, but maybe it
hurts?).

--
VB Info: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/visual.htm
FAQ: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/faq.htm
Knowledge Base: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/kb.htm

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Disable windows shortcut keys??? vb4

<<<SNIP>>>

Quote:
>Program Manager (it's the standard shell). When you modified the setting in
>> SYSTEM.INI, you could use your own app as the shell. Since you need
>Program  Manager to run other apps, you could control the entire system.
>Win95 has the same settings  But after the shell
>ends, you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and select shut down.  I dunno why...
> Have you ever had your system crash and all you see is the wallpaper?
>Explorer is the shell for win95, and if it crashes, it ends without
>stopping windows, so you have to hit c-a-d...

This Works!!!!!!  I now have total control over the system.  However I
did have to remove TaskMan.exe to disable the Ctrl ESC function.  and
I will have have to call an API to end windows on exit of the program,
but that is what I wanted

Thank All
--Rob

http://www.iag.net/~rhr3rd/
Orlando, FL

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Disabling Keys: CTRL, ALT, ESC, Window key

2. How to disable Word shortcut keys

3. Disabling Shortcut Keys

4. disabling shortcut keys

5. disable desktop shortcut keys

6. Disable shortcut keys in vb application

7. How to disable right mouse button and some shortcuts keys (WebBrowser)

8. Disable shortcut keys in vb application

9. Disable right mouse shortcut keys in visual basic

10. Disable shortcut keys in vb application

11. Disable win95 shortcut keys?

12. shortcut Keys vb4