Doing DCC (direct client to client) tranfers with a VB program
Author Message
 Doing DCC (direct client to client) tranfers with a VB program

I am wondering on how I would go about doing a DCC transfer in a Visual
basic program for the net.. Any response would be appreciated.. This
problem has got me all jumbled up in a mind blowing mess.. I am ready to
rip my hair out!! Pls reply as soon as possible..

Tue, 09 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Doing DCC (direct client to client) tranfers with a VB program

Quote:

>I am wondering on how I would go about doing a DCC transfer in a Visual
>basic program for the net.. Any response would be appreciated.. This
>problem has got me all jumbled up in a mind blowing mess.. I am ready to
>rip my hair out!! Pls reply as soon as possible..

There are two ways that you can pursue this Gorkem:

1. Pickup a windows socket vbx or ocx such as the DSSOCK.VBX/OCX and
use it to establish the connection over a TCP/IP connection.  Course
once you start playing with this you'll realize that you can only send
strings or integer data and you need someway of breaking down all your
nifty data structures you've created... Welcome to the wonderful world
of data marshalling...  This is where you take a complex data
structure and convert it into a string on the transmit end with
characters as separators betwen your variables etc. Send the stream of
characters, then at the receiving end, you  re-convert this string
into an appropriate structure after identifying what type of structure
you've received.

2. Or the the other way that Microsoft would probably rather have you
do things is to use the OLE capability in the latest Enterprise
Edition of Visual Basic 4...  This is the only edition that has the
capability to create OLE server applications (I believe, someone
correct me if I'm wrong :-)  With this you are limited to some pretty
basic data structures such as a string or non-fixed length array of
integers.  You then create a class with set, get, and let properties
on these structures, make the class an ole object and the form an ole
server and you've got a method of sending data back and forth in an
event driven fashion across the network to your clients whom make
calls to the OLE server.  If you know someone that has a copy of the
Enterprise edition, borrow their manual entitled, "Building
Client/Server Applications with Visual Basic."

The second method is easier to do, but the previous is perhaps more
portable between platforms... although OLE is a published
architecture, I'm not an expert on it so maybe someone else can pipe
in and talk a bit about platforms other then IBM compatiables doing
OLE etc.

take care,

<H2>One Serious CBR900RR Rider
</H2>

Wed, 10 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Doing DCC (direct client to client) tranfers with a VB program

to comp.lang.basic.visual about "Doing DCC (direct client to client) tranfers
with a VB program":

>I am wondering on how I would go about doing a DCC transfer in a Visual
>basic program for the net.. Any response would be appreciated.. This
>problem has got me all jumbled up in a mind blowing mess.. I am ready to
>rip my hair out!! Pls reply as soon as possible..

I surpose You mean DDE between client and client

I'm sure Mr. Balchen from Norway will help You on this one.

Med venlig hilsen

 Bjoern Ginsborg
 Gyldenbjergvej 59
 4840  Noerre Alslev
 Denmark

Tel/Fax # : +45 5384 6643

--- OffRoad 1.9k registered to Bjoern Ginsborg

**************************************
        Sent via Inform-BBS
-Denmark's leading alternative network

**************************************

Sat, 13 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Doing DCC (direct client to client) tranfers with a VB program

Quote:
>>I am wondering on how I would go about doing a DCC transfer in a Visual
>>basic program for the net.. Any response would be appreciated.. This
>>problem has got me all jumbled up in a mind blowing mess.. I am ready to
>>rip my hair out!! Pls reply as soon as possible..
>I surpose You mean DDE between client and client
>I'm sure Mr. Balchen from Norway will help You on this one.

Thanks. But I think he really ment DCC. I've tried IRC, and there
you DCC files to eachother. If that's what he ment, I have
absolutely no clue. Unless.... No, there's no RFC about IRC or
DCC. Sorry. I have no idea.

mIRC? Maybe that'll help.

Jens
--
* Everything I said are the opinions of someone else.   *
* I just cut-and-pasted.                                *

Jens Balchen jr.       http://www.sn.no/~balchen

Sun, 14 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. fat client (MSMQ, VB Program) or thin client (ASP page then have Web server use MSMQ)

2. Internet Clients in VB - Are you doing some?

3. Vb clients slow when more than 1 client log in

4. How do I use WFAPI.dll with VB to get client name - Terminal Server client

5. How do I use WFAPI.dll with VB to get client name - Terminal Server client

6. Map drives on computer over direct cable connection (DCC)

7. how to change a VB program to Client / Server

8. Calling AS/400 CL Program using Client Access ODBC, VB, and ADO

9. Install Net 8 Client with VB program?

10. Debugging compiled VB program at client's site

11. Network Programming in VB (Client/Server)

12. Client-side Excel access: Can it be done?