anyone know anything about this?
Author Message
 anyone know anything about this?

Look at the MOD function in the help file. It is the missing element of your
program.

Joseph Scally

<snip>

Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 anyone know anything about this?

Here's the math bit,
tshirt = int((7.75*.9)+1)-.01

or more generically,

OldPrice=7.75
PriceReduce=10   '%

TShirtPrice = NewPrice(7.75,10)

Function NewPrice(OldPrice As Double, PriceReduce As Double) As Double
  NewPrice=Int((OldPrice*(1-PriceReduce/100))+1)-.01
End Function

Quote:

>I posted earlier about this program I was working on. Well, here's what
I've
>come to so far. It's a programing project in a Visual Basic book I'm
>studying. The purpose of the project is to take the old price and reduce by
>10 percent, rounding up to the nearest dollar, and subtracting 1 cent.

>I figured, what I'd do is take the items and the prices and put them in a
>text file. That way, when the user input the item he was checking, it would
>go through the list and take the item and do the price conversion.

>Here's the program as I have it. I'm also including the form, the code, the
>pricelist, etc. So far it's doing fairly well, it's just getting the math
>part to work right.

>Private Sub cmdLookUp_Click()
>    Dim item As String, price As String, newPrice As String
>    Open "c:\pricelist.txt" For Input As #1
>    Do While (item <> txtItem.Text) And (Not EOF(1))
>        Input #1, item, price
>    Loop
>    Close #1
>    picOriginal.Cls
>    picSale.Cls
>    If item = txtItem.Text Then
>        picOriginal.Print item, price
>        picSale.Print item
>    End If
>        newPrice = price * 0.9
>    If Int(newPrice) = newPrice Then
>        newPrice = newPrice - 0.01
>    Else
>        newPrice = newPrice + 1 - 0.01
>    End If
>    picSale.Print newPrice
>End Sub

Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 anyone know anything about this?

I want to thank all of you for your assistance. Here's what the book had for
being a correct answer. I thought I'd post it for everyone else to see. It
sure isnt what I expected, but I thought since y'all tried to help me out
the least I could do is post this so everyone could see what the book was
looking for. :)

Here is a sample "logic" of the code:

Do While (Not EOF(1))
        Dim sale As Single, sPrice As Single, nPrice As Integer
        Input #1, saleItem, price
        Let sale = Val(price - (price * 0.1))
        Let nPrice = Int(sale + 1)
        Let nPrice = Format(nPrice, "Standard")
        Let sale = Val(nPrice - 0.01)
        Let sPrice = sale
        If sPrice <= price Then
            sPrice = sale
          Else
            sPrice = price
        End If

  ' display code goes here
    Loop

Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 anyone know anything about this?

Joseph,

While I can't see the original question, you should be aware of a problem
with Mod - it doesn't handle big numbers (say 12345678901234567890). I'm
guessing it doesn't handle anything that cannot be stored as a long.

I use the following code instead (to handle all numbers, including Decimal
data-type):

                    'varData = varData Mod intDummy     won't always work
                    varData = varData - (Fix(varData / varDummy) *
(varDummy))     seems to

Note that varDummy must be Decimal data-type (using CDec).

Matthew

PS. If there is a bug in my code please tell me

Quote:
> Look at the MOD function in the help file. It is the missing element of
your
> program.

> Joseph Scally

> <snip>

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. CGI Help...Anyone Know Anything?

2. Anyone know anything about Lotus Approach?

3. Regocx32.exe - anyone know anything about this file?

4. Does anyone know anything about TAPI.DLL??

5. Does anyone know anything about unbound fields?

6. Does anyone know anything about DirectPLay in VB?

7. Does anyone know ANYTHING about SetTimer() ???

8. Anyone know anything about Dynamix? Anyone?

9. Anyone know anything about the Parrallel port's pins ??

10. Does anyone know anything about the dice roller control from "Fast Library 2000)?

11. Does anyone know anything about "Xceed Zip Compression Library v4.1"

12. AnyOne Knows Anything about DT_EDITCONTROL? (and more...)