"DOS" style program in VB5
Author Message
 "DOS" style program in VB5

I need to write a VB5 program that will act like a DOS program when
called from the DOS prompt. I've figured out how to run it without
displaying anything in Windows but I would like to display text messages
on the DOS screen like an old-fashioned DOS program.

I would appreciate any advice.

Peter Gulliver

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "DOS" style program in VB5

Why?

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "DOS" style program in VB5

Write your program with QuickBasic !!!

Quote:
>I need to write a VB5 program that will act like a DOS program when
>called from the DOS prompt. I've figured out how to run it without
>displaying anything in Windows but I would like to display text messages
>on the DOS screen like an old-fashioned DOS program.

>I would appreciate any advice.

>Peter Gulliver

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "DOS" style program in VB5

Quote:
>Why?

There are leigitamate reasons to create a console app, such as...
* When ran from a batch file, they run synchronously
* They can take advantage of redirection and piping
* Many prefer command line over a GUI when doing network and file system
maintainence.

And incidently, it is possible to write a WIN32 Console app with VB5. See
the regular Black Belt Programming column in the March, 1998 issue of Visual
Basic's Programmer's Journal. It outlines in great detail (as usual) how to
write a console app in VB5.

Good Luck.

Cheers ... Michael Wilson
Application Developer
Sameday Right-O-Way Courier

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "DOS" style program in VB5

what ??!!

are you crazy ??

Quote:

> I need to write a VB5 program that will act like a DOS program when
> called from the DOS prompt. I've figured out how to run it without
> displaying anything in Windows but I would like to display text messages
> on the DOS screen like an old-fashioned DOS program.

> I would appreciate any advice.

> Peter Gulliver

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "DOS" style program in VB5

Quote:

> Why?

Just to restate my original query -

Quote:
> I need to write a VB5 program that will act like a DOS program when
> called from the DOS prompt. I've figured out how to run it without
> displaying anything in Windows but I would like to display text
messages
> on the DOS screen like an old-fashioned DOS program.

The reasons are quite involved so I would rather not spend time trying
to explain them.

If anyone has any real ideas on this subject please reply.

I would appreciate any constructive advice.

Peter Gulliver

Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "DOS" style program in VB5

On the rather dull and overcast day of Wed, 01 Jul 1998 16:42:06 +1000, Peter
Gulliver opened the window of the comp.lang.basic.visual.misc building and
yelled the following at an innocent passer-by:

Quote:

I believe the Visual Basic Programmer's Journal can be found at www.vbpj.com
though I may be wrong; I'm sure a search using Altavista couldn't hurt.

HTH,
ee
--
Alex Warren, aka Emergency Exit

icq:   4043750

http://come.to/axe            - Axe Software: freeware for DOS & Windows
http://come.to/basixfanzine  - Basix Fanzine: magazine for BASIC programmers

to the email address above)

Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "DOS" style program in VB5

Quote:

> >Why?

> There are leigitamate reasons to create a console app, such as...
> * When ran from a batch file, they run synchronously
> * They can take advantage of redirection and piping
> * Many prefer command line over a GUI when doing network and file
> system
> maintainence.

> And incidently, it is possible to write a WIN32 Console app with VB5.
> See
> the regular Black Belt Programming column in the March, 1998 issue of
> Visual
> Basic's Programmer's Journal. It outlines in great detail (as usual)
> how to
> write a console app in VB5.

> Good Luck.

> Cheers ... Michael Wilson
> Application Developer
> Sameday Right-O-Way Courier

Thnakyou to Michael and the rest of the sensible people who replied to
my query. To all the less than sensible people who didn't understand the
question let alone have any ideas I hope that you read Michael's reply
carefully.

Peter Gulliver,
Aquatec Software.

Mon, 18 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "DOS" style program in VB5

Quote:
>Thnakyou to Michael and the rest of the sensible people who replied to
>my query. To all the less than sensible people who didn't understand the
>question let alone have any ideas I hope that you read Michael's reply
>carefully.

I'm suprised you can hear me up on the {*filter*}y big horse.  Its because I was
interested enough to read your mail that I asked the question.  Thanks to
Michael for a helpfull reply - you could learn a lot...

Mon, 18 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. "97"-Style Toolbar OCX for VB5?

2. VB5 programs too "big"?

3. Style "Carousel"

4. "Property Windows"-style OCX needed

5. DB Lists Searching ("Windows Help-style")

6. VB Style "Add Project" dialog

7. "favourites" style list

8. 97/98 style coolbars..."How.."

9. QuickBASIC style "RUN" command

10. QuickBASIC style "RUN" command

11. "Property Windows"-style OCX needed

12. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*