Alt+Tab from IDE to modal VB App - 5.0 works, 6.0 doesn't
Author Message
 Alt+Tab from IDE to modal VB App - 5.0 works, 6.0 doesn't

I believe this question has been asked in deja news but didn't receive a
real good answer.  I'll try again here and hope that duplication doesn't
bother too many people...

In VB5 you were able to make a project startup object be a form (versus a
sub in a BAS module) and thereby have the opportunity click the Run button
in the VB IDE, have the app start up with the main form and then Alt-Tab
from the form to the IDE and back to the form.  In VB6 it now seems that the
only way to have this functionality is to make the startup form be modeless.
If the startup form is modal, you can not Alt-Tab to it after focus have
moved to another process on the PC.  You must basically hide everything on
the desktop until some portion of the VB form is exposed and then click the
form to bring focus to it.  Has anyone found a way to allow Alt-Tab to move
focus to a running VB application that's been started from the VB IDE that's
modal and not modeless?

Mon, 29 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Alt+Tab from IDE to modal VB App - 5.0 works, 6.0 doesn't

Quote:
>In VB5 you were able to make a project startup object be a form (versus a
>sub in a BAS module) and thereby have the opportunity click the Run button
>in the VB IDE, have the app start up with the main form and then Alt-Tab
>from the form to the IDE and back to the form.  In VB6 it now seems that the
>only way to have this functionality is to make the startup form be modeless.

Hi Jeffrey,
        Sorry can't help except to confirm the behaviour. But I am
interested in what is the advantage having the first form opened
modally.
        If it is to control program flow back in the Sub Main, why not
split Main into Main and Main2 and then call Main2 from the _Unload
event procedure of the form shown?
--
Derek Hordle ; "640Kb of memory is all any one could possibly want." Bill Gates

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Disabling alt-tab, VB App that takes total control of Win '95

2. Mouse wheel doesn't work in the VB IDE

3. Mouse Wheel doesn't work in Visual Studio's IDE enviornment...HELP

4. Toolbar in VB 5.0 doesn't work

5. Program doesn't show up in Alt-Tab Group

6. Toolbar in VB 5.0 doesn't work

7. Toolbar in VB 5.0 doesn't work

8. Tabbing doesn't work on VB Documents in IE3.02

9. HELP: VB 5.0 and service pack1 doesn't work

10. Tabbing doesn't work on VB Documents in IE3.02

11. ALT Key Doesn't Work In OCX?

12. Wheel scroll doesn't work in the IDE