VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard 
Author Message
 VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard

I am creating my first package for an application I have just completed.  My
lil application is less than 200KB but the created CAB file is 2 MB because
it adds some files it said my app depended on.

I guess I want to know if the files being included are really necessary or
would any Windows installation have them already (because I also don't want
to make anyone's PC unstable by overwriting their files with those included
by my app install).

The files in question are:
COMDLG32.OCX
MSCOMCTL.OCX
MSWINSCK.OCX
VB6STKIT.DLL



Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:01:46 GMT  
 VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard


Quote:
> I am creating my first package for an application I have just completed.
My
> lil application is less than 200KB but the created CAB file is 2 MB
because
> it adds some files it said my app depended on.

> I guess I want to know if the files being included are really necessary or
> would any Windows installation have them already (because I also don't
want
> to make anyone's PC unstable by overwriting their files with those
included
> by my app install).

> The files in question are:
> COMDLG32.OCX
> MSCOMCTL.OCX
> MSWINSCK.OCX

The three files above are controls you've used in your lil app.  Yes, most
windows systems will already have them installed, however, when
distributing, you must always plan for the unexpected.

Quote:
> VB6STKIT.DLL

This is part of the VB run-time files.  Again, it is usually already there,
but you never know ....

- Show quoted text -



Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:42:43 GMT  
 VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard
Ah OK, I feared as much, thanks!


Quote:



> > I am creating my first package for an application I have just completed.
> My
> > lil application is less than 200KB but the created CAB file is 2 MB
> because
> > it adds some files it said my app depended on.

> > I guess I want to know if the files being included are really necessary
or
> > would any Windows installation have them already (because I also don't
> want
> > to make anyone's PC unstable by overwriting their files with those
> included
> > by my app install).

> > The files in question are:
> > COMDLG32.OCX
> > MSCOMCTL.OCX
> > MSWINSCK.OCX
> The three files above are controls you've used in your lil app.  Yes, most
> windows systems will already have them installed, however, when
> distributing, you must always plan for the unexpected.

> > VB6STKIT.DLL
> This is part of the VB run-time files.  Again, it is usually already
there,
> but you never know ....



Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:32:28 GMT  
 VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard
In VB Select Project > Components from the menu
On the controls Tab of the Components Dialog box
check the box "Selected Items Only"

Every Control listed will go into the package whether
you use it or not  (I think).
Try unchecking some components.  If you didn't actually
actually use the control it your application, it will be removed
other wise an error message will display and you will not
be able to remove a component that you actually used.

If you were successful in removing some components,
try recompiling the program and generate a new package.
It should get smaller, but probably not by a significant amount
unless you had a lot of controls referenced but not used.


Quote:
> I am creating my first package for an application I have just
completed.  My
> lil application is less than 200KB but the created CAB file is 2 MB
because
> it adds some files it said my app depended on.

> I guess I want to know if the files being included are really
necessary or
> would any Windows installation have them already (because I also don't
want
> to make anyone's PC unstable by overwriting their files with those
included
> by my app install).

> The files in question are:
> COMDLG32.OCX
> MSCOMCTL.OCX
> MSWINSCK.OCX
> VB6STKIT.DLL



Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:03:05 GMT  
 VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard
Go to Project -- Properties, click on the 'Make' tab, and put a checkmark
beside 'Remove information about unused ActiveX controls' and the controls
you do not use will not be inserted into your setup, except for the obvious
VB Runtime files (these are always used in any vb project).

Be careful with this method however, especially if you reference or load
controls outside of the intrinsic controls VB provides.


Quote:
> In VB Select Project > Components from the menu
> On the controls Tab of the Components Dialog box
> check the box "Selected Items Only"

> Every Control listed will go into the package whether
> you use it or not  (I think).
> Try unchecking some components.  If you didn't actually
> actually use the control it your application, it will be removed
> other wise an error message will display and you will not
> be able to remove a component that you actually used.

> If you were successful in removing some components,
> try recompiling the program and generate a new package.
> It should get smaller, but probably not by a significant amount
> unless you had a lot of controls referenced but not used.



> > I am creating my first package for an application I have just
> completed.  My
> > lil application is less than 200KB but the created CAB file is 2 MB
> because
> > it adds some files it said my app depended on.

> > I guess I want to know if the files being included are really
> necessary or
> > would any Windows installation have them already (because I also don't
> want
> > to make anyone's PC unstable by overwriting their files with those
> included
> > by my app install).

> > The files in question are:
> > COMDLG32.OCX
> > MSCOMCTL.OCX
> > MSWINSCK.OCX
> > VB6STKIT.DLL



Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:39:45 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VB6 and Package & Deployment Wizard

2. Package & Deployment Wizard Questions (VB6)

3. Question about VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

4. VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard Question

5. VB6, Package & Deployment Wizard Help

6. VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

7. Errors from VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

8. Package&Deployment Wizard VB6

9. VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

10. Dynamic Setup using Package & Deployment Wizard - URGENT

11. Client setup using VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

12. about the Package and Deployment Wizard (VB6)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software