Identifying an audio CD 
Author Message
 Identifying an audio CD

I know that the artist/title information is not on a CD--so how do I
identify it; there must be SOMETHING to identify it, since the right
playlist comes up when I insert it into my CD-ROM drive.

Allen J. Bennett



Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Identifying an audio CD

Quote:

>I know that the artist/title information is not on a CD--so how do I
>identify it; there must be SOMETHING to identify it, since the right
>playlist comes up when I insert it into my CD-ROM drive.

The best I can guess is serial number.  You *can* use GetVolumeInformation()
on an Audio CD, and (occasionally) it will return the CD's serial number.
I figure the CD players store the user-entered playlist with the SN as a
key value.

Also, I've noticed a trend, as with some CD's I have, an audio CD may not
be entirely an Audio CD.  It may contain a data track...

--
Sam
--
Sam Jones             | Work  : (770) 663-8963x153 | Vote Democrat -
Clientlink, Inc.      | Home  : (770) 399-6210     | It's easier than
3025 Windward Parkway | Alt   : (770) 399-6238     | getting a job.
Alpharetta, Ga. 30005 |
----------------

Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Sec. 227,
any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is
subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

Quote:

>Allen J. Bennett



Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Identifying an audio CD

decided to enlighten us with :

Quote:

>>I know that the artist/title information is not on a CD--so how do I
>>identify it; there must be SOMETHING to identify it, since the right
>>playlist comes up when I insert it into my CD-ROM drive.

>The best I can guess is serial number.  You *can* use GetVolumeInformation()
>on an Audio CD, and (occasionally) it will return the CD's serial number.
>I figure the CD players store the user-entered playlist with the SN as a
>key value.

>Also, I've noticed a trend, as with some CD's I have, an audio CD may not
>be entirely an Audio CD.  It may contain a data track...

>--
>Sam
>--
>Sam Jones             | Work  : (770) 663-8963x153 | Vote Democrat -
>Clientlink, Inc.      | Home  : (770) 399-6210     | It's easier than
>3025 Windward Parkway | Alt   : (770) 399-6238     | getting a job.
>Alpharetta, Ga. 30005 |
>----------------

>Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Sec. 227,
>any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is
>subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
>E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

>>Allen J. Bennett

Allen,
        Look in the windows Multimedia SDK, assuming that you know
enough about C++. It contains the algorithm for determining the ID of
any audio CD (type LONG). Sometimes the actual CD serial number will
be the same as the one yielded by the algorithm in the SDK, but don't
count on it.
        If you can be patient with me, I can decode the C++ source,
and post it in a few days.

        Good day,
        Jeremiah D. Seitz
        Omega Techware
        Solutions for small businesses
        http://members.home.net/omegatechware



Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Identifying an audio CD


Quote:
>I know that the artist/title information is not on a CD--so how do I
>identify it; there must be SOMETHING to identify it, since the right
>playlist comes up when I insert it into my CD-ROM drive.

I don't know that all programs do it this way, but some take the
length of the first song x the number of tracks, and use that as
a unique ID. It ain't guaranteed to be unique, but it seems to work.


Wed, 02 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Identifying Audio CDs

2. Identifying Audio CD's

3. Help: Identifying a CD on insert and reading audio tracks

4. Win APIs to play mpg video files, mp3 audio files and audio cds

5. CD-Text from Audio CDs

6. CD-Audio Player with multiple CD-ROMS...

7. Accessing multiple Audio CDs in CD Changers?

8. Use 2nd CD-ROM drive to play CD Audio

9. Identifying CD-ROM

10. Identifying CD's

11. Identifying CD Drive letter

12. How to identify CD Drive Letter

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software