Mapi Messages control + Outlook Express = no attachments!
Author Message
 Mapi Messages control + Outlook Express = no attachments!

Can anyone help with this problem?

I'm using the mapi controls to automatically send order file emails from a
Visual Basic program.  The emails have text file attachments but no text in
the mail itself.  The program runs on an NT Workstation machine using
Outlook 98 to send the emails.  The emails are sent to internet addresses
through our LAN using Exchange Server 5.5.

The problem is that when an email sent by the program is received by a POP3
client, the attachment is missing.  Exchange clients, however, receive the
attachment with no problem.  If I resend the email myself from Outlook on
the same machine, the attachment is received by the POP3 clients too.  I'm
not yet sure if the problem affects all POP3 clients of just Outlook Express
since I've only been able to test it with OE so far.

By looking as the message headers of the received emails it appears the
attachment is encoded differently when the mail is sent by the mapi control.
When the mail is sent manually from Outlook 98, the header contains:-

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.97B26068

 <<S126D04022000N1.ORD>>

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.97B26068

[text contained in the attached file]

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.97B26068--

But when the email is sent from the program using the mapi controls:-

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.0869AD9E

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.0869AD9E

eJ8+[Tons of garbage which I'm assuming is the MIME encoded attachment]Yxg=

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.0869AD9E--

I'm aware of the bug in Exchange Server 5.0, but we're using 5.5 with the
latest service pack.  I've tried sending the emails as plain text and rich
text, but the problem occurs in both cases.

Does anyone know of a way to ensure that the mapi control sends the
attachments in the correct format, so they can be received in Outlook
Express?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony.

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Mapi Messages control + Outlook Express = no attachments!
i had same problem with this ......
Quote:

> Can anyone help with this problem?

> I'm using the mapi controls to automatically send order file emails from a
> Visual Basic program.  The emails have text file attachments but no text in
> the mail itself.  The program runs on an NT Workstation machine using
> Outlook 98 to send the emails.  The emails are sent to internet addresses
> through our LAN using Exchange Server 5.5.

> The problem is that when an email sent by the program is received by a POP3
> client, the attachment is missing.  Exchange clients, however, receive the
> attachment with no problem.  If I resend the email myself from Outlook on
> the same machine, the attachment is received by the POP3 clients too.  I'm
> not yet sure if the problem affects all POP3 clients of just Outlook Express
> since I've only been able to test it with OE so far.

> By looking as the message headers of the received emails it appears the
> attachment is encoded differently when the mail is sent by the mapi control.
> When the mail is sent manually from Outlook 98, the header contains:-

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.97B26068

>  <<S126D04022000N1.ORD>>

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.97B26068

> [text contained in the attached file]

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.97B26068--

> But when the email is sent from the program using the mapi controls:-

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.0869AD9E

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.0869AD9E

> eJ8+[Tons of garbage which I'm assuming is the MIME encoded attachment]Yxg=

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01BF6EF9.0869AD9E--

> I'm aware of the bug in Exchange Server 5.0, but we're using 5.5 with the
> latest service pack.  I've tried sending the emails as plain text and rich
> text, but the problem occurs in both cases.

> Does anyone know of a way to ensure that the mapi control sends the
> attachments in the correct format, so they can be received in Outlook
> Express?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

> Thanks in advance,

> Anthony.

Wed, 07 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Mapi Messages control + Outlook Express = no attachments!
I've used the MAPI control with VB5 to send to
Hotmail. The only way I could pass attachments
through Exchange 5.5 was to ignore the address
property completely but use the name property
instead. If the address property is used -

resulting in TNEF encoding. If you use the name
property and enter the SMTP address straight in -

I got the clue from MS knowledge base - Q136204.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 12 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Mapi Messages control + Outlook Express = no attachments!
FYI, it looks like the PR_SEND_RICH_INFO property of the recipient
controls the TNEF stuff -- setting it to FALSE gets you plain text and
avoids the TNEF garbage.

Quote:

> I've used the MAPI control with VB5 to send to
> Hotmail. The only way I could pass attachments
> through Exchange 5.5 was to ignore the address
> property completely but use the name property
> instead. If the address property is used -

> resulting in TNEF encoding. If you use the name
> property and enter the SMTP address straight in -

> I got the clue from MS knowledge base - Q136204.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB, MAPI, and Outlook Express: Microsoft MAPI Control 6.0

2. VB6 and Mapi Control - Outlook Express

3. Outlook Express hangs when invoked by MAPI controls

4. send mail Mapi control & outlook express

5. MAPI connection to Outlook or Outlook Express

6. Question regarding MAPI, MS Outlook 2000, and Outlook Express 6

7. MAPI OUTLOOK and OUTLOOK EXPRESS

8. MAPI Message control loses attachments details for Internet E-mail

9. Help! MAPI Message Control - Save Attachments

10. Reading Attachments in MAPI Message control

11. MAPI controls - mail message attachments

12. Accept drops of messages from Outlook and Dragging attachments from MS Outlook