Controlling the serial port
Author Message
 Controlling the serial port

Hi there,

    I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
that much control

Thanks

MrPhysics

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling the serial port

Quote:

> Hi there,

>     I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
> pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
> and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
> possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
> that much control

Start looking at http://www.lvr.com for all things serial and parallel.
There are some links to some DLLs for port control. For general serial
port use, if you have not already done so, I urge you to get Richard
Grier's "Visual Basic Programmer's Guide To Serial Communications" ---
it is a very essential text for using the MSComm object.
http://www.mabry.com (publisher's web site)

Please remove NOSPAM from address for replies

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling the serial port
Hi there,

    I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
that much control

Thanks

MrPhysics

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling the serial port

Quote:

> Hi there,

>     I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
> pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
> and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
> possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
> that much control

Start looking at http://www.lvr.com for all things serial and parallel. There
are some links to some DLLs for port control. For general serial port use, if
you have not already done so, I urge you to get Richard Grier's "Visual Basic
Programmer's Guide To
 Serial Communications" --- it is a very essential text
for using the MSComm object. http://www.mabry.com (publisher's web site)

Please remove NOSPAM from address for replies

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling the serial port
heres a site for programming the parallel port in VB, maybe it could help
(somehow)
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/vblpt.htm

trippz

Quote:
> Hi there,

>     I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
> pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
> and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
> possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
> that much control

> Thanks

> MrPhysics

Tue, 04 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling the serial port
heres a site for programming the parallel port in VB, maybe it could help
(somehow)
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/vblpt.htm

trippz

Quote:
> Hi there,

>     I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
> pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
> and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
> possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
> that much control

> Thanks

> MrPhysics

Tue, 04 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling the serial port
Use a null-modem cable that cross-connects RTS with CTS and DTR with
DSR.

To use RTS/CTS, use MSComm's RTSEnable property to control RTS and
CTSHolding to read it. For DTR/DSR, use DTREnable to control DTR and
DSRHolding to read it.

If you need another line, I suppose you could also connect TXD to CD,
using the Break property to control TXD and CDHolding to read it.

See MSComm's documentation for more details.

Jan Axelson
http://www.lvr.com

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:46:31 -0500, "MrPhysics"

Quote:

>    I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
>pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
>and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
>possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
>that much control

Wed, 05 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling the serial port
Use a null-modem cable that cross-connects RTS with CTS and DTR with DSR.

To use RTS/CTS, use MSComm's RTSEnable property to control RTS and CTSHolding
to read it. For DTR/DSR, use DTREnable to control DTR and DSRHolding to read
it.

If you need another line, I suppose you could also connect TXD to CD, using
the Break property to control TXD and CDHolding to read it.

See MSComm's documentation for more details.

Jan Axelson
http://www.lvr.com

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:46:31 -0500, "MrPhysics"

Quote:

>    I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
>pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
>and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
>possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
>that much control

Wed, 05 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling the serial port
You can use a few of the hardware handshaking lines on the serial port
as simple digital I/O lines. You can also use the MSComm control to
set and detect the states of these lines. I would recommend a good
book on doing serial communications in VB like the Visual Basic
Programmers Guide to Serial Communications by Richard Grier.

Visit www.taltech.com and look in the Free Software section of the
site and download a program called PortStat. Portstat allows you to
set and retrieve the state of serial handshaking lines using DDE from
another program. The help file for the program has a good overview of
what is possible.

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:46:30 GMT+0600,

Quote:

>Hi there,

>    I'm looking for a way to get information from the serial cabale pin by
>pin.  I want to be able to send information to a specific pin on the cable
>and read it on another computer...  Is it possible in vb (API i guess if
>possible) or i really need to get my toes wet in Assembly in order to have
>that much control

>Thanks

>MrPhysics

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to control a Serial port

2. Control of Serial Port

3. motor control through serial port

4. Send Voltage via MSCOMM Control and Serial Port

5. About Mscomm Control programming(Serial Port)

6. About Mscomm Control programming(Serial Port)

7. How to control the serial ports????

8. How to loop comm port control to read text files through serial port in VB3

9. Active X to control the serial port in VBA-Excel?

10. Active X to control the serial port in VBA-Excel?

11. I/O port, Parallel port, Serial port

12. qb45 and SERIAL strange SERIAL port protocol