HELP - program setup failure when compiled under winME
Author Message
 HELP - program setup failure when compiled under winME

Hi,

This may seem really strange, and maybe the problem lies somewhere else, but
I hope someone here may have experienced something similar and can help me
out.

I used to run Windows 98 and created and distributed a couple of programs.
they worked fine and no one had problems with them.  I then upgraded to
Windows ME.  after doing the upgrade I made a couple of modifications to
these programs I wrote.  The modifications were cosmetic as I did not add
any new control, infact they use only the standard control set.

When I recompiled them, some people who could run the old program can no
longer run the new one.

They get a message saying thier system has outdated files and their system
will update them and they must restart their system and rerun the setup.
when they do this, the setup1.exe file says it is corrupt.  now this happens
only to a few people who are running Windows 98.

is there some backward compatibility problem when compiling in Windows ME?
can anyone help me out on what info I need to provide to get help in fixing
it.  This has really become a nightmare, and it is with more than one
program I wrote.

Please help
Doug

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:22:08 GMT
[...]

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:29:03 GMT
[...]

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:16:44 GMT
 HELP - program setup failure when compiled under winME
Windows ME doesn't work! It is as simple as that! I have heard really
horrible stories about people who have bought Notebooks and other computers
with Windows ME installed and it simply refused to work with their modem,
for example. The modem manufacturers have stated that they cannot get full
details from Microsoft of the Windows ME operating system and so they cannot
fix the problems. One person I know paid over a thousand pounds for a
Notebook that just would not let her connect to the Internet. She bought it
because the Internet connection on her existing system was a bit slow!
{*filter*}! Now its as slow as it can get! She can't get on at all!

Windows ME is a piece of shit!

Mike

Quote:
> Hi,

> This may seem really strange, and maybe the problem lies somewhere else,
but
> I hope someone here may have experienced something similar and can help me
> out.

> I used to run Windows 98 and created and distributed a couple of programs.
> they worked fine and no one had problems with them.  I then upgraded to
> Windows ME.  after doing the upgrade I made a couple of modifications to
> these programs I wrote.  The modifications were cosmetic as I did not add
> any new control, infact they use only the standard control set.

> When I recompiled them, some people who could run the old program can no
> longer run the new one.

> They get a message saying thier system has outdated files and their system
> will update them and they must restart their system and rerun the setup.
> when they do this, the setup1.exe file says it is corrupt.  now this
happens
> only to a few people who are running Windows 98.

> is there some backward compatibility problem when compiling in Windows ME?
> can anyone help me out on what info I need to provide to get help in
fixing
> it.  This has really become a nightmare, and it is with more than one
> program I wrote.

> Please help
> Doug

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:00:29 GMT
 HELP - program setup failure when compiled under winME
Hiya Folks,

I'm not sure its related but there was a BUG in VB6 upto SP4 where the 2nd
phase of setup didn't work if the first phase copied a system file (.dll or
.ocx) where the file name had more than 8 characters.  the setup programme
couldnt copy a filename to the temp directory and thus didn't create the
startup script to copy updated files to the system directory brfore Windows
restarted.  This caused me months of heartache until I found it.  I
understand MS have posted it on the Web now SP4 has been released (SP4 of
course contains the fix)

Quote:
> Hi,

> This may seem really strange, and maybe the problem lies somewhere else,
but
> I hope someone here may have experienced something similar and can help me
> out.

> I used to run Windows 98 and created and distributed a couple of programs.
> they worked fine and no one had problems with them.  I then upgraded to
> Windows ME.  after doing the upgrade I made a couple of modifications to
> these programs I wrote.  The modifications were cosmetic as I did not add
> any new control, infact they use only the standard control set.

> When I recompiled them, some people who could run the old program can no
> longer run the new one.

> They get a message saying thier system has outdated files and their system
> will update them and they must restart their system and rerun the setup.
> when they do this, the setup1.exe file says it is corrupt.  now this
happens
> only to a few people who are running Windows 98.

> is there some backward compatibility problem when compiling in Windows ME?
> can anyone help me out on what info I need to provide to get help in
fixing
> it.  This has really become a nightmare, and it is with more than one
> program I wrote.

> Please help
> Doug

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 08:40:41 GMT
 HELP - program setup failure when compiled under winME
Why is there so many replies to messages that are posted a new messages???

Quote:
> Hiya Folks,

> I'm not sure its related but there was a BUG in VB6 upto SP4 where the 2nd
> phase of setup didn't work if the first phase copied a system file (.dll
or
> .ocx) where the file name had more than 8 characters.  the setup programme
> couldnt copy a filename to the temp directory and thus didn't create the
> startup script to copy updated files to the system directory brfore
Windows
> restarted.  This caused me months of heartache until I found it.  I
> understand MS have posted it on the Web now SP4 has been released (SP4 of
> course contains the fix)

> > Hi,

> > This may seem really strange, and maybe the problem lies somewhere else,
> but
> > I hope someone here may have experienced something similar and can help
me
> > out.

> > I used to run Windows 98 and created and distributed a couple of
programs.
> > they worked fine and no one had problems with them.  I then upgraded to
> > Windows ME.  after doing the upgrade I made a couple of modifications to
> > these programs I wrote.  The modifications were cosmetic as I did not
add
> > any new control, infact they use only the standard control set.

> > When I recompiled them, some people who could run the old program can no
> > longer run the new one.

> > They get a message saying thier system has outdated files and their
system
> > will update them and they must restart their system and rerun the setup.
> > when they do this, the setup1.exe file says it is corrupt.  now this
> happens
> > only to a few people who are running Windows 98.

> > is there some backward compatibility problem when compiling in Windows
ME?
> > can anyone help me out on what info I need to provide to get help in
> fixing
> > it.  This has really become a nightmare, and it is with more than one
> > program I wrote.

> > Please help
> > Doug

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 11:51:38 GMT

1. failure of setup program to make a group

2. Setup doesn't work on WinME

3. Upgrade to winME causes vb program to fail.

4. Registry read Failure when program launched by AT scheduling program

5. VS 6.0 Setup Failure

6. Setup failure ???

7. Setup Wiz failure

8. setup.exe failure: 'insert disk 0'

9. MSINET.OCX and SHDOCVW.DLL Registration Failure in Setup

10. Help on splitting large program to compile it

11. HELP! Compiling QB45 program error

12. VB6 my setup program created with the setup wizard is SLOW