good old basic commands missing in visual basic?
Author Message
 good old basic commands missing in visual basic?

I have a little problem: programming a robot for radio purposes I've
always used gwbasic. Changing computer made me want to update
programming language as well. So I bought a copy of VB 4.0. But it seems
I cannot use it for the purpose I thought. Or can anybody tell me how I
should imitate the good old basic commands

out 888,15-x, whereas x is a variable

             and

x=inp(889)

the command don't need to be exactly the same as long as i can use the
parallel port to send or receive bytes.
Please
 please
  please
   please
    please
     please

Help.

If there is not a solution, would anybody like a cheap copy of VB4.0?

please reply to my e-mail adress:

(I prefer the first one)

Thanks,

Harold

Sat, 01 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 good old basic commands missing in visual basic?

Hi Harold,
I think I have good news for you. You do not specify which version of VB
you are using (16 or 32 bit) but I think it really does not matter. There
is a wonderful new product out there that can solve your problem. The
software's name is PortIO Hardware OCX Custom Control. It contains two
versions of the OCX with identical functionality for 16 and 32 bit version
of VB 4. This product will also work in other OLE 2.0 compliant programming
development systems i.e. MS Access and the like.

To test the functionality of the PortIO OCX and execute sample code that
you included in your message, you do not even have to buy the product.
There is a nice and fully functional PortIO Demo software that implements
Input and Output I/O commands (this is only a fraction of the commercial
version capabilities). You can download it from:

http://www.vbonline.com/vbonline/cie/download.htm

You can also read about commercial PortIO product features at the following
web page:

http://www.vbonline.com/vbonline/cie/default.htm

I hope this information allows you to solve your I/O ports access problems
once and for all. It is much much easier to code attractive virtual robot
control panels in VB than it is using GWBasic. Good luck!

Quote:
> I have a little problem: programming a robot for radio purposes I've
> always used gwbasic. Changing computer made me want to update
> programming language as well. So I bought a copy of VB 4.0. But it seems
> I cannot use it for the purpose I thought. Or can anybody tell me how I
> should imitate the good old basic commands

> out 888,15-x, whereas x is a variable

>              and

> x=inp(889)

> the command don't need to be exactly the same as long as i can use the
> parallel port to send or receive bytes.
> Please
>  please
>   please
>    please
>     please
>      please

> Help.

> If there is not a solution, would anybody like a cheap copy of VB4.0?

> please reply to my e-mail adress:

> (I prefer the first one)

> Thanks,

> Harold

Sat, 01 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 good old basic commands missing in visual basic?

Quote:

> ... So I bought a copy of VB 4.0. But it seems
> I cannot use it for the purpose I thought. Or can anybody tell me how I
> should imitate the good old basic commands
> out 888,15-x, whereas x is a variable

There's a DLL, called VBASM.DLL, which can be used. It has stuff for
I/O port Access with API calls vbInp, vbInpw, vbOut, vbOutw. Whether this'll
work for you is rather contingent on knowing more about your hardware/os.
If you're using NT, for example, forget it. You'll have to write a device
driver before you can even begin to consider using VB.

But if you're still on the lackadaisical, couldn't care less, do what you
want at your own risk DOS or 3.11 (I know _nothing_ about win95, it may be OK
there as well [but it jolly well ought'nt to be!]) then the aforementioned
dll may be just the ticket. It's available on the developer network. Naturally,
if you're doing serious stuff like this, you'll already be a member.

Unless somebody knows otherwise ...

--

Vox (0|+44)1642 216 200  }*|*{  *o|o*  }o|o{ Zetland Buildings, Exchange Square
Fax (0|+44)1642 216 201    o      o      *   Middlesbrough, Cleveland.  TS1 1DE

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. BETTER BASIC - old Basic Language Compiler

2. Old Basic and Visual Basic: compatible?

3. Old Basic and Visual Basic: compatible?

4. BETTER BASIC - old pr

5. BETTER BASIC - old product

6. old basic command question!!!!!!!!! DRAW and PLOT

7. Old Basic DATA command

8. visual basic vs. visual c++ which is better

9. Looking for older versions of Visual Basic

10. Looking for older version of Visual Basic

11. Looking for older versions of Visual Basic program

12. Old QuickBasic to Visual Basic