Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document
Author Message
 Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

I just built my first ActiveX document using VB5.  First I had to overcome
the .VBD mime type problem (that's posted all over the place).  Now, it
downloads the .CAB file, asks me if I want to update my controls, etc., but
then hangs trying to download the .VBD file itself:

C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\cache1\ImsiViewDoc.VBD

"Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."

Any ideas?

Peter Zingg
Sr. Applications Engineer, IMSI

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

Quote:

>I just built my first ActiveX document using VB5.  First I had to overcome
>the .VBD mime type problem (that's posted all over the place).

I am running into the same problems. Can you please elaborate on the
VBD mime problem and how did you solve it? Thanx

Now, it

Quote:
>downloads the .CAB file, asks me if I want to update my controls, etc., but
>then hangs trying to download the .VBD file itself:
>C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\cache1\ImsiViewDoc.VBD
>"Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."

I get exactly  the same symptoms. I just wish Microsoft would act a
little bit more responsible in putting out tested technologies. It is
just a waste of eveybody's time when a half backed technology is
released.

I have not found any VBD samples on MS site to explain the issues we
are all experiencing.

Can a Microsoft Program Manager please speak up and explain how the
download works.

Tue, 30 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

MICROSOFT, Are you listening?   Here's how the bug got fixed:

I went back through the Application Setup Wizard and removed all the stuff
relating to MSRDO32.OCX and all of its dependencies (about 12 files, most
of which were supposed to be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com), and
VOILA!, the ActiveX document downloaded successfully (after giving me
certificate warnings on the two ActiveX controls that were left in the .CAB
file).

I guess the bug had something to do with the MRSRDO32 controls or their
dependencies...

So, Redmond, add that to your KB article Q167380...

Now onto regular old bugs...

PS.  Why do I have more than one call to UserDocument_Initialize and
UserDocument_Terminate?  Is IE 3.02 trying to instantiate more than one of
my ActiveX servers?????

Quote:
> I just built my first ActiveX document using VB5.  First I had to
overcome
> the .VBD mime type problem (that's posted all over the place).  Now, it
> downloads the .CAB file, asks me if I want to update my controls, etc.,
but
> then hangs trying to download the .VBD file itself:

> C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\cache1\ImsiViewDoc.VBD

> "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."

> Any ideas?

> Peter Zingg
> Sr. Applications Engineer, IMSI

Tue, 30 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

I have posted some of the information you requested on my web site:
www.insteptech.com. I understand Microsoft is currently working on a KB
article about this as well.

good luck!
--
Deborah Kurata
InStep Technologies

Quote:

> >I just built my first ActiveX document using VB5.  First I had to
overcome
> >the .VBD mime type problem (that's posted all over the place).

> I am running into the same problems. Can you please elaborate on the
> VBD mime problem and how did you solve it? Thanx

> Now, it
> >downloads the .CAB file, asks me if I want to update my controls, etc.,
but
> >then hangs trying to download the .VBD file itself:

> >C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\cache1\ImsiViewDoc.VBD

> >"Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."

> I get exactly  the same symptoms. I just wish Microsoft would act a
> little bit more responsible in putting out tested technologies. It is
> just a waste of eveybody's time when a half backed technology is
> released.

> I have not found any VBD samples on MS site to explain the issues we
> are all experiencing.

> Can a Microsoft Program Manager please speak up and explain how the
> download works.

Fri, 03 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

I had similar experiences but most of it seemed to relate to "binary
compatibility" and the "Conflict" directories being created under OCCACHE.
Anyway, instead of using AX document, I set up a AX control, whose download
went a whole lot easier.  I can even mount the .CAB on AOL and it works
when downloaded from there too, even when it is referenced on a web page on
yet another server.

But as far as the AX document, in all of this discussion, what was the
solution to it appearing as "garbage" on the screen.  (I have read the KB
article)

As far as your question about multiple Initialize, I suspect that you may
be looking at the AX doc several times in Explorer, and hence, there may be
multiple instances.  It seems Explorer holds the last 4 things in memory
before expunging it.

While we are on this subject, I have been using the MSWINSCK control within
my AX control for UDP.  But, when I bring it up on successive web pages, I
get evidence that several are still loaded, because I get a error "10048
Address in use".

My question is what code should I use to SHUT DOWN A UPD SOCKET (in the
hide event)?

looking forward to hearing from you.

Quote:
> MICROSOFT, Are you listening?   Here's how the bug got fixed:

> I went back through the Application Setup Wizard and removed all the
stuff
> relating to MSRDO32.OCX and all of its dependencies (about 12 files, most
> of which were supposed to be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com),
and
> VOILA!, the ActiveX document downloaded successfully (after giving me
> certificate warnings on the two ActiveX controls that were left in the
CAB
> file).

> I guess the bug had something to do with the MRSRDO32 controls or their
> dependencies...

> So, Redmond, add that to your KB article Q167380...

> Now onto regular old bugs...

> PS.  Why do I have more than one call to UserDocument_Initialize and
> UserDocument_Terminate?  Is IE 3.02 trying to instantiate more than one
of
> my ActiveX servers?????

> > I just built my first ActiveX document using VB5.  First I had to
> overcome
> > the .VBD mime type problem (that's posted all over the place).  Now, it
> > downloads the .CAB file, asks me if I want to update my controls, etc.,
> but
> > then hangs trying to download the .VBD file itself:

> > C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\cache1\ImsiViewDoc.VBD

> > "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."

> > Any ideas?

> > Peter Zingg
> > Sr. Applications Engineer, IMSI

Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

2. ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

3. ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

4. ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

5. Help Can't See ActiveX Document (.vbd) in Netscape Communicator 4.0

6. Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE

7. Help Can't See ActiveX Document (.vbd) in Netscape Communicator 4.0

8. Display a VBD file from an ActiveX Document Server DLL in a HTML Document

9. Internet Downloads of VBD's

10. Activex document .vbd missing association

11. Problem with viewing ActiveX documents (.VBD) on a client Windows station

12. VB5 ActiveX Documents (HTM vs VBD)