Visual Basic vs Visual C++
Author Message
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

Hello,

Let me address your questions one at a time:

Quote:
> 1. Incorporate mulimedia facilities?

VB can do basic MM on its own, and it can call the Win32 (or Win16) MM API
as long as the particular call doesn't need a data type not supported in VB
or needs to use a Callback function.  (callbacks can be done with VB 5.0,
not yet available though)

Quote:
> 2. Build DLL files?

VB can build OLE Server DLL files.  These are DLLs, but they require you to
use the OLE interface when calling them from an external program.  They are
not true C/C++ DLLs.  You can't just link them in with a call to
LoadLibrary().

Quote:
> 3. Do 3D animation?

I've never done it, but I'm sure you could make calls to the Direct3D or
OpenGL APIs and do 3D animation, but the problem here would be speed.  VB
is interperated code.  C/C++ is compiled code.  If you are writing a ton of
graphic manipulation code, VB is probably not going to be fast enough for
really heavy computational code.  Of course, you could always build a C/C++
DLL to do the drawing and simply call it from your VB app.  Up to you.

Quote:
> 4. Incorporate assembly code into its programs like in C or Pascal?

No.  Since VB is interperated code, not compiled code, you can't inline
assembly or any other compiled language.  Again, like above, you could call
a C DLL that had an inline assembly routine from VB, but you can't natively
inline non VB code.

Quote:
> 5. Use for system programming?

No again.  VB applications all run at Ring 3.  Any system extensions,
drivers and such would become extensions to the OS and might attempt to run
at other privilege levels (mini-drivers and VxDs run at Ring 0 I believe).

From the degree of no's to yes's in the above questioning, I'd say that
Visual C++ might be a better place for you to point.  VB is really for
developing quick and dirty (RAD - Rapid Application Development)
applications geared toward business data front ending and business
solutions.  It is not really geared for high-end game or graphics
development.

Now, on Visual C++.  MFC applications are going to inherit many of the same
limitations as VB applications when it comes to doing things like system
programming.  But, you should be able to inline assembly and do fast
multimedia processing outside of the class library.  And, of course, Visual
C++ can create native windows DLLs using whatever calling interfaces you
wish.

I hope I've helped,

Larry Tubbs, MCPS, MCSD
Silverleaf Vacation Club

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~enigma/

Quote:
> I'm at present considering the prospects of learning Visual Basic or
> Visual C++. I will like someone to give me proper advice....

> Can Visual Basic do the following?
> 1. Incorporate mulimedia facilities?
> 2. Build DLL files?
> 3. Do 3D animation?
> 4. Incorporate assembly code into its programs like in C or pascal?
> 5. Use for system programming?

> Should anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of Visual Basic and
> Visual C++, please tell me, I'm in great need for these information.

Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

I'm at present considering the prospects of learning Visual Basic or
Visual C++. I will like someone to give me proper advice....

Can Visual Basic do the following?
1. Incorporate mulimedia facilities?
2. Build DLL files?
3. Do 3D animation?
4. Incorporate assembly code into its programs like in C or pascal?
5. Use for system programming?

Should anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of Visual Basic and
Visual C++, please tell me, I'm in great need for these information.

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

I'm a VB guy - but for the stuff you're describing, if you've got to learn
from scratch, go with Visual C++.

I've goofed around with C. It's harder to learn - but ultimately more
powerful and better suited for these tasks.

Neal

Quote:
> Can Visual Basic do the following?
> 1. Incorporate mulimedia facilities?
> 2. Build DLL files?
> 3. Do 3D animation?
> 4. Incorporate assembly code into its programs like in C or pascal?
> 5. Use for system programming?

> Should anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of Visual Basic and
> Visual C++, please tell me, I'm in great need for these information.

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

Quote:

>I'm a VB guy - but for the stuff you're describing, if you've got to learn
>from scratch, go with Visual C++.

>I've goofed around with C. It's harder to learn - but ultimately more
>powerful and better suited for these tasks.

I'm for VB myself...  I know C and C++, used Borland C++ w/ OWL and VC++ w/
MFC, and I found both of them "ok".  I like VB for the simple reason that you
can do most tasks quickly and easily, making experimenting with new ideas fun.

Thanks,

<URL:http://www.mindspring.com/~dethstar/>

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

Quote:
> I'm at present considering the prospects of learning Visual Basic or
> Visual C++. I will like someone to give me proper advice....

> Can Visual Basic do the following?
> 1. Incorporate mulimedia facilities?

Yes, no problem

Quote:
> 2. Build DLL files?

Right now only as OLE servers, not true libraries, but this will change in
March with the release of VB5.0

Quote:
> 3. Do 3D animation?

Yes

Quote:
> 4. Incorporate assembly code into its programs like in C or pascal?

Yes if the assembly code is written correctly

Quote:
> 5. Use for system programming?

Sure but C++ usually does a better job

Quote:

> Should anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of Visual Basic and
> Visual C++, please tell me, I'm in great need for these information.

VB generally has a much shorter learning curve, and has a much shorter
development cycle.

-Charlie

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

Quote:
>Can Visual Basic do the following?
>1. Incorporate mulimedia facilities?
>2. Build DLL files?
>3. Do 3D animation?
>4. Incorporate assembly code into its programs like in C or pascal?
>5. Use for system programming?

1. Yes
2. OLE but not true DLL's
3. Yes
4. You can create a DLL file with assembly functions in it then call
them from VB.  No assembly instructions in the VB code though.
5. Er... guess it depends on what kind of "system".

If you have a knowledge of C/C++ already, I would go for Visual C++.
Excluding support of real Object Orientation (Inheritance, virtual
functions, etc), VB can do many of the things that VC is capable
of.... just slower.   :)

Shane

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

  >I'm at present considering the prospects of learning Visual Basic or
  >Visual C++. I will like someone to give me proper advice....
  >
  >Can Visual Basic do the following?
  >1. Incorporate mulimedia facilities?
Yes
  >2. Build DLL files?
VB4 has limited DLL, VB5 will have full DLL
  >3. Do 3D animation?
Slowly
  >4. Incorporate assembly code into its programs like in C or pascal?
No
  >5. Use for system programming?
No

  >Should anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of Visual Basic and
  >Visual C++, please tell me, I'm in great need for these information.

Use VB for your user interface and VC++ for the stuff that has to be real fast!

Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. why not
5. why not, but If your going to program a system.  You'd better learn how
to program first.

I would disagree with Charlie and make a statement that I feel VB always
has a shorter developement cycle.

Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs Visual C++

Quote:

> I'm at present considering the prospects of learning Visual Basic or
> Visual C++. I will like someone to give me proper advice....

> Can Visual Basic do the following?
> 1. Incorporate mulimedia facilities?

Yes, in many ways.  The easiest is probably to simply add the MCI.OCX or MCI.VBX control to
your project, and basically set a few properties to get it going.  If you need more
functionality, you can still access the entire Windows MCI library without much trouble.

Quote:
> 2. Build DLL files?

No.  Full-stop.

Quote:
> 3. Do 3D animation?

You can access the OpenGL or WinG libraries, but this is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.  There are also
several 3D animation controls, but it will never give you performance like Visual C++ can.

Quote:
> 4. Incorporate assembly code into its programs like in C or pascal?

I'm not entirely sure.  I think it IS possible, with access to the API.  But if you really
need/want to do this, you should be using Visual C++.

Quote:
> 5. Use for system programming?

Not sure what you mean.  It can be used without too much trouble to make programs which act as
DDE servers, OLE servers, Internet/Intranet servers.  If you mean system programming as in
modifying the way Windows works, then no.  It can't create virtual device drivers or anything
like that.

Quote:
> Should anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of Visual Basic and
> Visual C++, please tell me, I'm in great need for these information.

If you really need to do all these things, you'd be MUCH better off with Visual C++ (or
Borland C++, but I've never tried that).  Though Visual C++ is MUCH more difficult to learn
(even if you know C++), it is also much more flexible.  As proof, here are a few apps I'm
pretty sure were written in Visual C++ (correct me if I'm wrong):

 Netscape
 The entire Microsoft Internet suite
 Visual Basic (!)
 Most of the accessories included in Win95.
 Most ActiveX Controls, VBXs and OCXs (extensions to Visual Basic)
 Most Netscape Plugins

..and tons more.  Visual Basic was designed as a Database front end, and though you CAN do a
lot more with it, (no matter what everyone else says), it is NOTHING compared to Visual C++.

Happy Coding!  (in either language)

Tue, 20 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Basic Vs. Visual C++

2. visual basic vs visual C++ (performance)

3. Visual Basic VS Visual C++ for project

4. visual basic vs visual c++

5. Visual C++ vs Visual Basic

6. visual basic vs. visual c++ which is better

7. Visual Basic vs. Visual C++

8. Visual C++/MFC vs. Visual Basic

9. Visual Basic vs. Visual C++

10. Visual Basic vs. Visual C++