Adding icons w/out program manager running
Author Message
 Adding icons w/out program manager running

We need to run various Windows setup programs such that the user is "captive";
i.e., cannot do ANYTHING except run the current setup program.  We do this by
replacing PROGMAN.EXE with A:\SETUP.EXE in the SHELL= line of SYSTEM.INI.

Unfortunately, the VB setup program appears to require progman running when
doing anything with group files.

Can we create icons without program manager, or can we configure Windows such
that the user cannot task switch to program manager?

I've seen mention of a DOS-based utility that converts group files to ascii
and back that might be useful, but cannot remember where.

Thanks in advance,
Brian Safford

| Electronic Data Systems  PHONE: (810) 492-7967              |
| NOTE: The views and opinions expressed herein are mine,     |
| and DO NOT reflect those of Electronic Data Systems Corp.   |

Sat, 01 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Adding icons w/out program manager running

Quote:
>Unfortunately, the VB setup program appears to require progman running when
>doing anything with group files.

>Can we create icons without program manager, or can we configure Windows such
>that the user cannot task switch to program manager?

You can prevent a user from switching to ProgMan by using the ShowWindow
API to hide ProgMan's window.  Call ShowWindow with the SW_SHOW command
after the setup program finishes to restore Program Manager.

As an alternative, you could also create the group files yourself.
The file format is documented in volume 4 of the Windows SDK Programmer's
Reference and in the SDK help file.

Jason
Jason Simmons                  Automate VB form creation with VBScript 1.1

Sun, 02 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. DDEML.DLL, and Adding Icons to a *Selected* group in Program Manager

2. Running a Visual Basic Excel Macro from Program Manager Icon ***Help***

3. Removing Icons and Program Groups from Program Manager

4. Deleting Program Group Icons from Program Manager

5. Registering Program Manager Icons

6. Removal of Program Manager Groups and Icons?

7. Creating Icons and Groups in the Program Manager

8. Creating Icons and Program Manager Groups?

9. Deleting Program Manager Groups and Icons?

10. Adding items in the program manager

11. Adding Group To Program Manager

12. Adding Menu to Program Manager