VB 4.0 - Installing 16 and 32 bit versions on same hard disk
Author Message
 VB 4.0 - Installing 16 and 32 bit versions on same hard disk

Can I expect any difficulties/conflicts if I install
both the 16 and 32 bit versions of VB 4.0 (in different
directories) on the same hard disk?

How about the 16 and 32 bit versions of Crystal Reports 5.0?

Presently I only have the 16 bit versions installed.

Some clients are using Win 3.11 and require me to use the
16 bit versions, others are using Win 95 and require me to use
the 16 bit versions while another is using Win 95 and requires
me to use the 32 bit versions.

Hard disk space isn't a problem but could I encounter any
problems when I create the installation disks?

I know about opening/saving an Access 2.0 database in Access 7.0.
Once saved in Access 7.0, it is no longer readable by Access 2.0.
I assume the same applies for VB and Crystal Reports.

Until all clients are running Windows 95 and allow me to use the
32 bit versions of VB and Crystal, I need to have all of this installed
and do not want to have to get a second computer.

I don't think there should be a problem but, given the other problems
in VB 4.0 and Crystal 5.0, nothing surprises me anymore about this
environment.

Thanks.

Rick

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB 4.0 - Installing 16 and 32 bit versions on same hard disk

Quote:

> Can I expect any difficulties/conflicts if I install
> both the 16 and 32 bit versions of VB 4.0 (in different
> directories) on the same hard disk?

> How about the 16 and 32 bit versions of Crystal Reports 5.0?

> Presently I only have the 16 bit versions installed.

> Some clients are using Win 3.11 and require me to use the
> 16 bit versions, others are using Win 95 and require me to use
> the 16 bit versions while another is using Win 95 and requires
> me to use the 32 bit versions.

> Hard disk space isn't a problem but could I encounter any
> problems when I create the installation disks?

> I know about opening/saving an Access 2.0 database in Access 7.0.
> Once saved in Access 7.0, it is no longer readable by Access 2.0.
> I assume the same applies for VB and Crystal Reports.

> Until all clients are running Windows 95 and allow me to use the
> 32 bit versions of VB and Crystal, I need to have all of this installed
> and do not want to have to get a second computer.

> I don't think there should be a problem but, given the other problems
> in VB 4.0 and Crystal 5.0, nothing surprises me anymore about this
> environment.

> Thanks.

> Rick

When I loaded them into the same directory, I received GPFs from
DAO1625.DLL (or something similar) when accessing Oracle Databases using
ODBC and SQLNET.

I have since re-installed my hard disk and installed VB16 and VB32 in
different directories with no problem.

Greg

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB 4.0 - Installing 16 and 32 bit versions on same hard disk

Quote:

>>> Can I expect any difficulties/conflicts if I install

both the 16 and 32 bit versions of VB 4.0 (in different
directories) on the same hard disk? <<<

Not with VB itself, just install the 16-bit version first, followed
by the 32-bit version. You can install them in the same sub-directory
without any problem, although you may find it helpful to separate your
code directories between 16 and 32.

As for Crystal Reports, I don't know for sure, but it seems like it
does have some 16/32 bit conflicts. I think I remember hearing that
you can get a strange "Error Loading From File" error when the
versions are mixed.

Frank Carr

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB 4.0 (16-Bit)/Crystal Reports 3.0.1.32 (16-Bit) Print Preview Maximize Window

2. 16 bit API calls in VB 3 supported in 32 bit VB 4.0

3. Version 4 16-bit to Version 4 32-bit

4. VB 4.0 16 bit or 32 bit Escape Key

5. VB 4.0 conversion from 32 bit to 16 bit

6. VB 4.0: 16 bit vs 32 bit

7. VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)

8. CARDS.DLL 16 Bit doesn't work on VB 4.0 32 Bit

9. CARDS.DLL 16 Bit doesn't work on VB 4.0 32 Bit

10. CARDS.DLL 16 Bit doesn't work on VB 4.0 32 Bit

11. Shell and Wait 16 bit apps from 32 bit VB 4.0

12. CARDS.DLL 16 Bit doesn't work on VB 4.0 32 Bit