More Crystal Reports Problems - HELP!!!
Author Message
 More Crystal Reports Problems - HELP!!!

My big problem is that I would like to be able to change the left and width
values of a field without having to go into the Report Builder program.
This way I can generate a couple of canned reports and left the users tailor
the field locations to their liking, depending upon the data they wish to
print.  As it sits I need to go into each report everytime someone wants to do
some fine-tuning.  This is something THEY should be able to do.  I could do it
in Access,  but I'm not using Access anymore. :-) and :-(

I have been using Crystal Reports for quite some time and it's a reasonable
product as long as you don't expect too much from it, or believe the sales people.
They told me I could change the left and width values even after I had spent
hours on the phone with tech support.  By the way, the tech support people have
been very nice and helpful.  If you use 4.0 or 4.5 make sure you call and ask
them about the GEORGE fix.  It solved lots of problems.  But theres still lots
of screwy things wrong with the program.  The functionality between bound reports
and non-bound reports is not the same, although this is never disclosed anywhere
in the manuals or on-line help.  There are too many designed features
(subtitle under that says BUG) that are silly.  A field can print on multiple
lines, or it can be suppressed if its value is the same as in the previous field,
but you can't directly do both.  After several hours, both hacking and on the
phone to tech support I wass given a work around but it really shouldn't work
this way.  Way too many examples of things like this for a product with the
version number 4.5.1.1 (thats the one I have).  Maybe from a 1.05 version, but
not 4.5.

My $0.02 and more.  Now to get off the soap box and back to work.

Tom Stokke
UND EERC Programming Peon

Tue, 28 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 More Crystal Reports Problems - HELP!!!

(stokke) says:

Quote:

>My big problem is that I would like to be able to change the left and width
>values of a field without having to go into the Report Builder program.

We should all gang up on them and ask why, oh why, can't .RPT files be in
ASCII format so we can write report writer writer programs (if you see what
I mean). But they'd probably see that as breaking their ricebowl. Note that
the license agreement prohibits you from using Crystal's .DLLs to write your
own report writer; you'd think that'd be sufficient protection.

You might be able to mangle positions by calling the CRPE.DLL entry points;
I can't recall seeing that option there but it may be.

Thu, 30 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Crystal reports problem - help ?

2. Crystal Reports Problems, Help

3. CRYSTAL REPORTS PROBLEM HELP!

4. Crystal Report Help Please or Tell me where to get Crystal Help

5. Printing Crystal Reports without Crystal Control ActiveX or Crystal Reports API call

6. Help: Crystal Reports section subtotal problem...

7. Help: Crystal Report 6.0 OLE / DAO problem

8. Help - Crystal Reports Problem

9. Help wanted, problem with Crystal Report 6

10. Help !!!: Problem with Crystal Report

11. Help !! : problem with Crystal Report and Null fields

12. Password problem using Crystal Reports HELP ME !!