VB Technical Interview Questions. 
Author Message
 VB Technical Interview Questions.

Does anyone have VB technical interview questions that they could share?

They could range from general ones like "Compare Forms, Controls, and
Classes" to specific like "When can you have a non-optional argument follow
an optional argument?" (and before you say "you can't" think again).

N. Varacalli
--
Warning: Email address mangled. Please delete appropriately.



Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.
How about:
Where is the best place in a program to put Global Variables named X?
Where in a program does one put an End Statement?
What should I call my Startup form?
What is a good way to convert a Class module into a Standard module?
How would one go about receving a Message Notification event from MSMQ?

Sub X (Optional Y as Long, Z as something ;-)  ???

I thought again and I don't believe you can.  Do you have an example
where one can have:
I can imagine where one optional parameter may require another optional
parameter if it is present, but it is not what you seem to be asking.
The four questions I pose at the top ought to be useful red-flags if
you sprinkle them about!  The last one is a keeper!

"Compare Forms, Controls, and Classes" ???
How would one answer that? They are not really all that comparable.
It is like comparing Humans, Tapeworms and Animals
Forms are Classes on Steroids, Controls are Classes, Forms and Controls
have some properties in common, blah blah blah, but so what?

Neila

Quote:

>Does anyone have VB technical interview questions that they could share?

>They could range from general ones like "Compare Forms, Controls, and
>Classes" to specific like "When can you have a non-optional argument follow
>an optional argument?" (and before you say "you can't" think again).

>N. Varacalli
>--
>Warning: Email address mangled. Please delete appropriately.



Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.
How you have used the Windows API in some of your projects?
Describe the application of SQL as it relates to a Database-related project.
Describe what happens in the following code:
    Set MyQuery  = dbCal.QueryDef(SelectByDate)
What event would you use to invoke some action when the user presses the
secondary mouse button?

The bulk of my interview questions are to help me evaluate a candidate for
fit within the organization.

Joe

Quote:

>Does anyone have VB technical interview questions that they could share?

>They could range from general ones like "Compare Forms, Controls, and
>Classes" to specific like "When can you have a non-optional argument follow
>an optional argument?" (and before you say "you can't" think again).

>N. Varacalli
>--
>Warning: Email address mangled. Please delete appropriately.



Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.
Hey - keep this up nice for those of us looking for Vb programming jobs
By the way you couldn't post answers too :-) - kidding really I'll just go
work it out
Thanks


Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.


Quote:
> Does anyone have VB technical interview questions that they could

share?

A really good book "Advanced Microsoft Visual Basic 6" 2nd edition (The
Mandelbrot Set) has an interesting chapter on interview questions &
techniques.    It also includes a sample exam which has some good
questions.  Well worth a look.

Also - how about some questions relating to prevention of DLL hell,
when developing Active X DLL & OCX components?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.



Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.
Sure, the answers to my questions are
1. You don't
2.  ditto
3. ditto
4. ditto
5.  Ooops, I gotta run.  I have another interview...
Neila
Quote:

>Hey - keep this up nice for those of us looking for Vb programming jobs
>By the way you couldn't post answers too :-) - kidding really I'll just go
>work it out
>Thanks



Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.
A ParamArray allows you to simulate forcing values after optional ones, but
it doesn't really enforce it.
Any other ideas?


Quote:
> How about:
> Where is the best place in a program to put Global Variables named X?
> Where in a program does one put an End Statement?
> What should I call my Startup form?
> What is a good way to convert a Class module into a Standard module?
> How would one go about receving a Message Notification event from MSMQ?

> Sub X (Optional Y as Long, Z as something ;-)  ???

> I thought again and I don't believe you can.  Do you have an example
> where one can have:
> I can imagine where one optional parameter may require another optional
> parameter if it is present, but it is not what you seem to be asking.
> The four questions I pose at the top ought to be useful red-flags if
> you sprinkle them about!  The last one is a keeper!

> "Compare Forms, Controls, and Classes" ???
> How would one answer that? They are not really all that comparable.
> It is like comparing Humans, Tapeworms and Animals
> Forms are Classes on Steroids, Controls are Classes, Forms and Controls
> have some properties in common, blah blah blah, but so what?

> Neila


> >Does anyone have VB technical interview questions that they could share?

> >They could range from general ones like "Compare Forms, Controls, and
> >Classes" to specific like "When can you have a non-optional argument
follow
> >an optional argument?" (and before you say "you can't" think again).

> >N. Varacalli
> >--
> >Warning: Email address mangled. Please delete appropriately.



Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.
How bout

1. Difference between early and late binding.
2. How to make a property read only
3. Explain what the Friend keyword means.
4. What kind of compatability needs to be maintained for activex dll's
5. Explain ByRef and ByVal and when to use.
6. What is normalization
7. Name some of the objects that are a part of ADO

These are just a few of the ones I have been asked in my vb interviews. Hope
this helps.

JC


Quote:
> Does anyone have VB technical interview questions that they could share?

> They could range from general ones like "Compare Forms, Controls, and
> Classes" to specific like "When can you have a non-optional argument
follow
> an optional argument?" (and before you say "you can't" think again).

> N. Varacalli
> --
> Warning: Email address mangled. Please delete appropriately.



Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.

Quote:
> How bout

> 1. Difference between early and late binding.
> 2. How to make a property read only
> 3. Explain what the Friend keyword means.
> 4. What kind of compatability needs to be maintained for activex dll's
> 5. Explain ByRef and ByVal and when to use.
> 6. What is normalization
> 7. Name some of the objects that are a part of ADO

> These are just a few of the ones I have been asked in my vb interviews.
Hope
> this helps.

Out of curiousity, what percentage of applicants who consider themselves
intermediate/advanced VB developers get most of those?  I've been dealing
with similar questions lately to people who claim to know VB and have found
a shocking (to me) percentage who are not familiar with most of these
concepts.


Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.

Quote:



>> How bout

>> 1. Difference between early and late binding.
>> 2. How to make a property read only
>> 3. Explain what the Friend keyword means.
>> 4. What kind of compatability needs to be maintained for activex dll's
>> 5. Explain ByRef and ByVal and when to use.
>> 6. What is normalization
>> 7. Name some of the objects that are a part of ADO
<SNIP>

>Out of curiousity, what percentage of applicants who consider themselves
>intermediate/advanced VB developers get most of those?  I've been dealing
>with similar questions lately to people who claim to know VB and have found
>a shocking (to me) percentage who are not familiar with most of these
>concepts.

I'll be honest, I knew them all except for #7. I haven't had the opportunity
to use ADO on a project yet, but just from my reading I'm going to say
Connection, Recordset, Record, Properties and Errors(?). I even have the VBPJ
poster of ADO 2.5 next to me, but I'm successfully resisting the temptation to
cheat although I do have a mental image of it in my head right now. Without
that, I would've probably said Connection and Recordset and covered the two
most used objects (right?).

I am smart. I swear, I really am! ;-)

Andrew J. Marshall, MCP
President
Object Vision, Inc.
5305 Berrywood Ct.
Fairfax, VA 22032
(703) 239-0022

http://www.ObjectVision.net

WARNING: Andrew has a bad habit of trying to be funny and failing. If he says
anything to offend you, it was probably a lame attempt at humor and he will
apologize on request.



Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.

Quote:
> Out of curiousity, what percentage of applicants who consider
themselves
> intermediate/advanced VB developers get most of those?  I've been
dealing
> with similar questions lately to people who claim to know VB and have
found
> a shocking (to me) percentage who are not familiar with most of these
> concepts.

I agree, just because someone has been programming VB3/4 - even 5, for
blah blah years, VB6 and COM is quite a different story and knowledge
of recent technology really makes for a better developer.  Also
important is a person who writes good, solid code - commenting, OOp'ed
(as well as you can in VB) - nothing worse than one procedure that does
a million things and takes up the length of more than a screen or 2's
height.  Simple questions like how would you ensure that when viewed in
the object browser, your procedure could show a description and
What benefits does allocating a procedure ID to your methods have?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.



Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.

Quote:
> How about:

<Good suggestions snipped>

Thank You.

Quote:
> Sub X (Optional Y as Long, Z as something ;-)  ???
> I thought again and I don't believe you can.  Do you have an example
> where one can have:

Yes.

Assume that you have the following Property Get:

Public Property Get Items(Optional ByVal Index As Long) _
                          As String
'
End Property

The companion Property Let would therefore be:

Public Property Let Items(Optional ByVal Index As Long, _
                          ByVal NewValue As String)
'
End Property

Quote:
> "Compare Forms, Controls, and Classes" ???
> How would one answer that? They are not really all that comparable.
> It is like comparing Humans, Tapeworms and Animals
> Forms are Classes on Steroids, Controls are Classes, Forms and Controls
> have some properties in common, blah blah blah, but so what?

That's the point. What do they have in common? Why are they different. From
your answer, you seem to know what they are. I have heard answers such as
"VB has classes?" (from someone with 4 years experience, up to VB6), "Forms
and Classes come from VB/Microsoft, Controls only come from 3rd party
vendors", and so on.

The point is not always to see if the candidate knows the right answer, but
how they deal with something they don't know.

N. Varacalli
--
Warning: Email address mangled. Delete appropriately.



Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.

Quote:


> > How bout

> > 1. Difference between early and late binding.
> > 2. How to make a property read only
> > 3. Explain what the Friend keyword means.
> > 4. What kind of compatability needs to be maintained for activex dll's
> > 5. Explain ByRef and ByVal and when to use.
> > 6. What is normalization
> > 7. Name some of the objects that are a part of ADO

To the original poster, thank you for the good suggestions.

Quote:
> Out of curiousity, what percentage of applicants who consider themselves
> intermediate/advanced VB developers get most of those?  I've been dealing
> with similar questions lately to people who claim to know VB and have
found
> a shocking (to me) percentage who are not familiar with most of these
> concepts.

I had to think for a few seconds to remember which way was normalization,
and which way was de-normalization. I also had to remember some ADO objects
from sample code, web pages, and magazines since I've been doing database
agnostic programming for the last little while.

I agree with you though. A shocking number or candidates who claim to be
experts cannot get the questions listed above, which (IMHO) are
beginner/intermediate questions. We're having a hard time finding good VB
programmers.

N.Varacalli
--
Warning: Email address mangled. Delete appropriately.



Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB Technical Interview Questions.
BTW, this doesn't work (VB6).  Compile time error telling you exactly what
you would expect:  Optional parameters and ParamArrays must be last in the
list of arguments.
Quote:
> Public Property Get Items(Optional ByVal Index As Long) _
>                           As String
> '
> End Property

> The companion Property Let would therefore be:

> Public Property Let Items(Optional ByVal Index As Long, _
>                           ByVal NewValue As String)
> '
> End Property



Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Technical Interview Questions

2. VB technical interview ?'s

3. FAQ: VB Interview Questions?

4. VB Interview Questions?

5. VB interview questions.

6. VB interview questions

7. Interview questions for VB

8. VB interview Questions

9. VB interview questions?? Please help

10. Job Interview Questions for VB programmers?

11. Interview questions for VB

12. Interview Questions for VB

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software