New Visual Basic Game Design
Author Message
 New Visual Basic Game Design

Hello everyone,
        Remember ZZT? It's an old game designed by Tim Sweeney, founder
of Epic Megagames. It was a 2D, ASCII based world, where the player
could walk around, collect money, shoot monsters, and do many other
things. the
best part of it was the option of designing your own worlds, in a
simple, yet very sophisticated way. Each objest in the game could have
its own "game code" to tell it what to do in many types of events. I
though about creating a similar game using Visual Basic 3.0 for Windows.
However, I want it to be much more advanced. First of all, using bitmaps
(graphics) insted of ASCII characters for everything. I also plan to
have many more commands for the objects than ZZT had, and the ability to
draw your own graphics. If you are familiar somewhat with ZZT and this
concept, Visual Basic 3.0 for Windows, and\or graphics, game programming
knowlege, please e-mail me. I will make a mailing list out of the
interestes people, and create this new game together. Let me know if
you have any general questions.                           Thanks,
                                                   The Phantom
                                             (Mikolaj Franaszczuk)

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 New Visual Basic Game Design

Quote:

> Hello everyone,
>         Remember ZZT? It's an old game designed by Tim Sweeney, founder
> of Epic Megagames. It was a 2D, ASCII based world, where the player
> could walk around, collect money, shoot monsters, and do many other
> things. the
> best part of it was the option of designing your own worlds, in a
> simple, yet very sophisticated way. Each objest in the game could have

[SNIP]

I remember a game from Electronic Arts (I think) that I had on my
Commodore 64 (nostalgia time!) called "Adventure Construction Set"
that was similar to what you are describing. In fact, pretty much
identical in every way.  I found it interesting for a while, but
where it fell down in game play was that you had to work very hard
to design something with a goal or theme that would remain
interesting enough and challenging enough to keep playing.

Good luck!
Randy Hawley  | All opinions expressed|           John 3:16
Eli Lilly & Co| are mine, not theirs  |I'm not perfect, just Forgiven !

        Visit my home page: http://www.iquest.net/~rhawley/
                        COGITO ERGO CONFUNDO

Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 New Visual Basic Game Design

[Snippy]

Quote:
>I remember a game from Electronic Arts (I think) that I had on my
>Commodore 64 (nostalgia time!) called "Adventure Construction Set"
>that was similar to what you are describing. In fact, pretty much
>identical in every way.  I found it interesting for a while, but
>where it fell down in game play was that you had to work very hard
>to design something with a goal or theme that would remain
>interesting enough and challenging enough to keep playing.

[Snipparoo!]

Haha! I remember that game.  I loved it.  I once considered designing
something similar to it using VB but never really got around to it.

Mon, 22 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. The New Visual Basic Game Programmers Guild

2. Announce: all new Classic Basic Games web site

3. Chapter 13 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

4. Soccer game in QBasic for Visual Basic

5. Chapter 19 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is now online

6. Chapter 18 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

7. Chapter 17 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

8. Chapter 16 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

9. Visual Basic Game Programming Page

10. Visual Basic & Role Playing Games

11. Chapter 17 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

12. Chapter 18 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online