updating MDI status bar from child
Author Message
 updating MDI status bar from child

Quote:

>Is there a way to update the MDI status bar with information from the
>child window.

the child forms know their parent.  therefore, in your child form:

MDIForm.Status1.Panels(1).Text = <some text>

MDIForm is the parent, Status1 is the name of the status widget.

i do it all the time, mostly due to the fact that one of the other guys here
is an mdi maniac.

Every way I know how to tells me only one copy of MDI

Quote:
>allowed.

???
Quote:
>  Thanks

Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 updating MDI status bar from child

<Is there a way to update the MDI status bar with information from the
<child window. Every way I know how to tells me only one copy of MDI
<allowed.

Let's assume your MDI form is named frmMain.  It looks like
you are trying to access the MDI form through a variable of
type frmMain  which does not  contain a valid  reference to
the MDI form.   This is most  likely  to occur  if your app
starts from a Sub Main() like this:

  Sub Main()
    Set fMainForm = New frmMain
    fMainForm.Show
  End Sub

If you try to  access a status  bar on the main form from a
child form like this:

  frmMain.MyStatusBar.SomeProperty = SomeValue

the reference to the global  _variable_  frmMain will cause
VB to  attempt to  load  another  instance  of the  _class_
frmMain.

If you need to  access the parent  form from the child, you
will need to maintain a reference to the loaded instance of
the parent.  This could  probably be done with Forms(0) but
I wouldn't trust it.  The easiest way is just to get rid of
Sub Main() and set frmMain as the  start-up object.  If you
don't want to do that, you could give each child that needs
to reference the main form a 'Parent' property.

--
Paul Marshall

Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Maximized MDI child form Covering Status bar on MDI parent

2. HElp with progress bar on MDI status bar

3. Progress bars in status bars in an MDI app

4. Progress Bar in Status Bar on MDI Form

5. HElp with progress bar on MDI status bar

6. MDI / Progress bar in the Status bar

7. Progress bar in status bar of MDI Parent Form

8. need help regarding scroll bar in mdi and mdi child form

9. MDI Child Tile bar - how change font/ also how to hide bar

10. Change Font in title bar of mdi child/Hide title bar

11. Change Font in title bar of mdi child/Hide title bar

12. Q: Form activate Fires On Non Child MDI Forms But Only Once On Child Mdi Forms