Printing to COM serial Printer without using Printer Control
Author Message
 Printing to COM serial Printer without using Printer Control

Hi,

Excuse my lack of depth of understanding, but I do not generally
program in VB.

I have a project that requires that I write and read to a serial
printer, but without using the printer control in VB.

In my old days with Qbasic we used to code OPEN "COM1:9600 ... etc
to open the com port and then Write CHR characters and controls and
INPUT responses.

I have tried coding this in VB, but it does not seen to like OPENing
files that are Printer files and not "disk files".

Should this be possible and does anyone have an example.

Many Thanks

Jon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Printing to COM serial Printer without using Printer Control

Quote:

> Hi,

> Excuse my lack of depth of understanding, but I do not generally
> program in VB.

> I have a project that requires that I write and read to a serial
> printer, but without using the printer control in VB.

> In my old days with Qbasic we used to code OPEN "COM1:9600 ... etc
> to open the com port and then Write CHR characters and controls and
> INPUT responses.

> I have tried coding this in VB, but it does not seen to like OPENing
> files that are Printer files and not "disk files".

> Should this be possible and does anyone have an example.

Hi Jon-

In VB open your IDE and click on the following:
        Tools--->Custom Controls--->Microsoft Comm Control

And here are some resources you should investigate.

http://www.yes-tele.com/mscomm.html
http://www.mabry.com <---Dick Grier's book on Serial Communications
http://www.lvr.com <--- for all things serial, parallel, and USB

As to the printer itself, the manufacturer's data sheet as to what the
data format should be is essential for you to have. I hope you only need
to write TO the printer. It would make life a bit easier ;->

Good Luck,

Randy Barrow

Please remove NOSPAM from address for replies

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. How I can select a printer like defauld printer without using CommonDialog Control

2. printing and talking with a serial pos printer, changing the port of a printer

3. How do I print to the LPT without using the printer object

4. Printing to printer other than default printer using NT

5. Printer.Print and printer control codes?

6. problems printing on a zebra printer with printer.print

7. Problem setting the active printer of Word 97 without changing the Windows default printer

8. Getting the printer settings without initialising the printer?

9. printing text using the printer control

10. Printing a MS Chart control using the Printer Object

11. printing text using the printer control

12. Controlling Dot-matrix printer using print method