16 bit vs 32 bit
Author Message
 16 bit vs 32 bit

Has anyone done any studies on how quickly the world of VB users is moving
from 16 bit to 32 bit?   If you were developing an application for the
commercial market and planned for a fall '96 release, would you even fool
with a 16 bit version or go directly to the 32 bit?  Why?

Thanks for your ideas and perspectives.

Technical Director                             V317-842-7020  x4182
Master Software Corporation            Fx317-849-5280
5975 Castle Creek Pkwy. N. Dr.
Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN  46250

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 16 bit vs 32 bit

Quote:

>Has anyone done any studies on how quickly the world of VB users is moving
>from 16 bit to 32 bit?

I work in the European contract market (big business, hired guns) and
I buy product from the worldwide shrinkwrap market.

VB developers are using whichever product they need to develop for the
_platform_ they're interested in. The platform issue is the important
one.

Commercial sites in the UK are ignoring '95 en masse. There's a lot of
NT in the office, running file servers and the like, but desktops are
still using WfW. This is due to memory upgrade issues. A typical
office desktop needs a database engine and a networking stack, and
this isn't happy with '95 in 8MB. Most sites that are looking to
upgrade are waiting until they really need it, then going straight to
NT. When the new-look NT is widely available, I think there will be a
big switch overnight.

The only UK corporate '95 users I've seen have been those who have
been sold on the benefits (sic) of MS Exchange.

In the shrinkwrap market, there's more '95 about. Technonerds are
using the "latest thing" and the absolute raw beginners had it arrive
on their machines in the last 6 months. The WfW diehards are those who
don't use much beyond a wordprocessor and bought their machines a year
or two ago.

In America, you can afford RAM upgrades. Brits can't. We tend to
either stick with the machines we've got, or swap out the whole
machine because we're the sort of Techhead who can find a use for a
spare machine.

Quote:
> If you were developing an application for the
>commercial market and planned for a fall '96 release, would you even fool
>with a 16 bit version or go directly to the 32 bit?  Why?

This would depend on who I expected to buy it, and how long I expected
it to last. Chances are I'd need to support _both_ versions, to some
unpredictable degree. I'll probably need to offer some sort of 16 bit
version now if I want any market share, but I'm also going to need 32
bit support in the near future.

Can you afford to alienate your 16 bit market now ?

Can you support 16 bits at low cost (ie no differences other than API
declares) ?

Personally I write in 32 bit, with 16 supported as a compatibility
feature. This is easy enough to do in VB, unless you're going all-out
for the '95 look and you need the 32 bit common controls. 32 bit is my
core product, and where 16 is available cheaply, I'll support it. I
don't compromise my UMI design for 16 bits though.

Wed, 09 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 16 bit vs 32 bit
Ben:
        I am doing just that, and I plan to compile it in 16 bit AND 32
bit versions.  Why?  Based on the people I know and the
potential users of the program, a LOT of them will not have gone
to Win95 yet and many are resisting with great gusto.
        Can't say as I blame them.....   :->

Smiles,
John

:Has anyone done any studies on how quickly the world of VB users is moving
:from 16 bit to 32 bit?   If you were developing an application for the
:commercial market and planned for a fall '96 release, would you even fool
:with a 16 bit version or go directly to the 32 bit?  Why?

:Thanks for your ideas and perspectives.

Mesmer                          John Harrington, C.Ht.
                                Tampa, FL

Thu, 10 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB 16 bit vs 32 bit on NT machine

2. VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

3. VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

4. VB 4.0: 16 bit vs 32 bit

5. VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)

6. 16 bit vs 32 bit

7. 16-bit vs 32-bit

8. 16 Bit Vs 32 Bit

9. Check for 32-bit vs. 16-bit OS

10. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver

11. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver