Upgrading comctl32.ocx => comctl.ocx
Author Message
 Upgrading comctl32.ocx => comctl.ocx

Hallo folk,

This is a problem which should have been resolved by Microsoft but, again,
does not work as documented.

I am upgrading an existing VB5sp3 application to VB6sp3. Part of this is
migrating the common controls from comctl32.ocx to the "new" mscomctl.ocx.
According to MSDN jan 2000, search "Windows common controls, upgrading", VB6
should ask to upgrade the activeX control when the checkbox "Upgrading
ActiveX controls" on project properties is checked.

This is the case, but VB6 does not perform it's trick.

Any ideas/tools on how to easily migrate these controls?

Thankz,
Charles Storm.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Upgrading comctl32.ocx => comctl.ocx
Hi Charles,

I think you misunderstood this a bit.

Of course, VB6 upgrades previoulsy existing ActiveX controls to the
new versions of the same controls.
BUT: MSCOMCTL.OCX is not a new version of an old ActiveX component,
but a completely new control. This cannot be upgraded automatically
because there was no control of this name in VB5.

So, VB6 works as designed - don't blame Microsoft on this. I've
already migrated some projects from VB4 to VB6, and VB6 upgraded
everything properly - if the component existed in the old VB version,
too. New components have new properties and methods, so migrating to
new components always needs recoding. This cannot be done by VB.

Either you use the old ActiveX (this doesn't cause any problems), or
you recode you app. It's like replacing the standard DBgrid with an
Apex or Sheridan component. VB6 will not upgrade automatically,
because this simply IS no upgrade but a change to a completely new
component.

Good luck,
Guido.

Quote:

>Hallo folk,

>This is a problem which should have been resolved by Microsoft but, again,
>does not work as documented.

>I am upgrading an existing VB5sp3 application to VB6sp3. Part of this is
>migrating the common controls from comctl32.ocx to the "new" mscomctl.ocx.
>According to MSDN jan 2000, search "Windows common controls, upgrading", VB6
>should ask to upgrade the activeX control when the checkbox "Upgrading
>ActiveX controls" on project properties is checked.

>This is the case, but VB6 does not perform it's trick.

>Any ideas/tools on how to easily migrate these controls?

>Thankz,
>Charles Storm.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Dependency Files for comctl32.ocx and comctl32.ocx

2. mscomctl.ocx and comctl.ocx

3. COMCTL.OCX or 3rd party OCX's

4. VB6 doesn't upgrade COMCTL32.OCX correctly

5. How to upgrade COMCTL32.OCX ?

6. OCX OCX OCX OCX OCX OCX

7. COMCTL32.OCX, COMDLG32.OCX, among other problems...

8. Comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx??

9. richtx32.ocx and comctl32.ocx

10. Answer to comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx registration problems

11. Problems registering comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx

12. Problems Loading Comctl32.ocx and Comdlg32.ocx