Opinions? 16 vs 32 bit versions of VB
Author Message
 Opinions? 16 vs 32 bit versions of VB

I need to install Visual Basic on our department network (Novell) so
that our students in the Basic course can learn VB.  I can install
either the 16-bit or 32-bit version, but which one?

Most of our machines in the lab are 486-66, 16MB ram.  The course is not
part of the core CS major, it's generally taken by students who want to
learn a little programming.  Hence, I don't need a compiler with all
the bells and whistles.  Is the older 16-bit version of VB better for
our needs (i.e. better compatible with our hardware, as "user friendly"
as verion 4.0, etc).  Any opinions are welcomed - I hope to install
one of the two versions by the end of the week.  Thanks.

--
<<<========================================================>>>
   Pierre A. von Kaenel                    Math & CS Dept.

Fri, 27 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Opinions? 16 vs 32 bit versions of VB

Quote:

> I need to install Visual Basic on our department network (Novell) so
> that our students in the Basic course can learn VB.  I can install
> either the 16-bit or 32-bit version, but which one?
> Assuming that all the machines in your lab are running Win 95/NT, I'd

install the 32-bit version of V4.  If it is just for learning programming,
and they don't need 16-bit for delivery purposes, the 2 versions are essentially
identical.  One bonus of 32-bit is it is a bit less buggy (MS didn't seem to
bang away at 16-bit quite like they did 32-bit).  Also, the enhanced suite
of ActiveX's that come with the 32-bit make for better UIs.

Quote:
> the bells and whistles.  Is the older 16-bit version of VB better for
> our needs (i.e. better compatible with our hardware, as "user friendly"
> as verion 4.0, etc).  Any opinions are welcomed - I hope to install
> one of the two versions by the end of the week.  Thanks.

If your option is between VB4 32-bit and VB3, you have to look a little harder...
VB3 has some neat "vb-isms" which have been removed from VB4 which make programming
a little easier at times (just as VB4 has some things to make it easier, too), so
its kindof a draw.  One major question -- if you'd like to introduce the idea
of objects and OO programming, VB4 at least lets you demonstrate some (but not all)
of the OO paradigms.  VB3 you are kindof out-of-luck for this...
--
Barry Haun
EDS/Intelligent & Object Systems

Mon, 30 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Opinions? 16 vs 32 bit versions of VB

Quote:
>I need to install Visual Basic on our department network (Novell) so
>that our students in the Basic course can learn VB.  I can install
>either the 16-bit or 32-bit version, but which one?

>Most of our machines in the lab are 486-66, 16MB ram.  The course is not
>part of the core CS major, it's generally taken by students who want to
>learn a little programming.  Hence, I don't need a compiler with all
>the bells and whistles.  Is the older 16-bit version of VB better for
>our needs (i.e. better compatible with our hardware, as "user friendly"
>as verion 4.0, etc).  Any opinions are welcomed - I hope to install
>one of the two versions by the end of the week.  Thanks.

It realy depends on the operating system your machines are using.  Use
VB3 if they have Windows 3.0, 3.1 or use VB4 if they have Win95 or NT.

      \\?//

/-----\(_)/-----------------------------------------------------\

| .oooO   Oooo.   Head of Software Development, Impact Software |
| (   )___(   )      1 Percy Street, Sheffield, S3 8AU, England |
\--\ ( _|_ ) /--------------------------------------------------/
    \_)   (_/

Mon, 07 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Version 4 16-bit to Version 4 32-bit

2. VB 16 bit vs 32 bit on NT machine

3. VB 4.0: 16 bit vs 32 bit

4. VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)

5. VB 4.0 (16-Bit)/Crystal Reports 3.0.1.32 (16-Bit) Print Preview Maximize Window

6. VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

7. VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

8. 16 bit vs 32 bit

9. Check for 32-bit vs. 16-bit OS

10. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver

11. 16 bit vs 32 bit

12. 16-bit vs 32-bit