PINGing internet server
Author Message
 PINGing internet server

Is there any way to PING an internet server using the ICP control pack?
I think I just need to connect to a certain port using the Wisock
control, but I'm not sure. What I'm trying to do is PING a server every
few minutes so that my ISP won't hang up on me from lack of activity.

able to find them easily in comp.lang.basic.visual.misc. Thanks.
--

My Homepage: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jano/
My Alphaworld info: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jano/aworld.html

Mon, 01 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

My Homepage: http://www.islandnet.com/~jano/
My Alphaworld info: http://www.islandnet.com/~jano/aworld.html

[...]

Quote:

> What I'm trying to do is PING a server every
> few minutes so that my ISP won't hang up on me from lack of activity.

I know some (most?) providers don't like people to do this, but there are easier ways than
writing a program to do it. Have your e-mail program check for mail every 25 minutes (if your
provider hangs up after 30 minutes like mine does). I'm sure most mail programs can check
automatically every few minutes. If your mail program doesn't do that, I know there are programs
that do what you want; search around the net for freeware/shareware sites. Maybe you could try
another mail program. I use Eudora Lite, and it's free!

http://www.eduora.com

I think...

--

Paul Gibson
Technology Service Corporation, Washington Operations

> [...]

I think I just need to connect to a certain port using the Wisock
control, but I'm not sure. What I'm trying to do is PING a server every
few minutes so that my ISP won't hang up on me from lack of activity.

able to find them easily in comp.lang.basic.visual.misc. Thanks.
--

My Homepage: http://www.islandnet.com/~jano/
My Alphaworld info: http://www.islandnet.com/~jano/aworld.html

Mon, 01 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PINGing internet server

Is there any way to PING an internet server using the ICP control pack?
I think I just need to connect to a certain port using the Wisock
control, but I'm not sure. What I'm trying to do is PING a server every
few minutes so that my ISP won't hang up on me from lack of activity.

able to find them easily in comp.lang.basic.visual.misc. Thanks.

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. PINGing internet server

2. Ping internet URL

3. Pinging the IP to detect Internet Connection, HOW ?

4. Can I ping (internet) from inside VB4 program?

5. ping internet connection

6. Internet Connection through Ado (Internet Server Error)

7. Internet Connection through Ado (Internet Server Error)

8. Ping server and see the response in ms.

9. Ping to SQL Server

10. PING, Is there an API (or other method) to call ping from VB

11. ping to check response time of servers

12. Ping writing ping component voor asp