Book reviews/advice
Author Message
 Book reviews/advice

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a couple of books, and was wondering if
anyone had any information on the texts listed at the bottom of this
message, or indeed any other good VB 5 reference books.  I am really
looking for a supplement/ improvement to the MS documentation and help
files.  Also, anything good (with lots of example code) on
optimization and semi-advanced stuff would be nice.

I don't want a beginner text, but something which gives me enough
detail to be understandable without trying to hold my hand all the
time.

Also, I would like to get a book on the Win API, but I got to thinking
about the "imminent" arrival of Win98.  Does anyone know if the API
will change substantially, or will apps designed for 95 run smoothly
in Win98?   i.e., I don't want to have to recode anything!

I would just go and browse at a bookstore, but I'm living in Japan,
and there aren't too many VB books available in the bookstores here,
at least not in English.

(likely sounding books I found by searching Amazon's catalogue)

The Visual Basic 5 Programmer's Reference
by Wayne S. Freeze

Visual Basic 5 : Superbible Set
by Eric Winemiller, David Jung, Pierre Boutquin, John Harrington

1001 Visual Basic Programmer's Tips
by Kris Jamsa, Lars Klander

Thanks in advance,

Christien

Sat, 08 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Book reviews/advice

I can recommend "{*filter*} Visual Basic 2nd Ed" by Bruce
McKinney, although it is not for VB beginners (or indeed
for the faint-hearted). It does cover a lot of detail that
the manuals don't, has a lot of interesting performance
facts, and covers the essentials of using API functions. If
you have some Win32 API documentation (it comes with MSDN
or VC++) you may not need any more than this.

As far as Win98 goes, no doubt it will add a couple of API
functions into the mix, but the core Win32 API will
almost certainly stay the same. It's taken Microsoft ages to
persuade software suppliers to release Win95/WinNT versions
of their products, and it has taken these suppliers a lot of
time and effort to convert their apps. To change the core
APIs again would be crazy. So I wouldn't worry too much about
Win98.

regards,

John

Sat, 08 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Basic book reviews

2. Visual Basic Book Reviews

3. Visual Basic Book Reviews

4. Visual Basic Book Reviews

5. BOOK REVIEWS

6. Visual Basic book reviews

7. Visual Basic Book Reviews

8. VB Books are Reviewed

9. Visual Basic Book Reviews

10. Visual Basic book reviews

11. Visual Basic Book Reviews

12. The best Visual Basic books are reviewed!