VB3 Win98 Printing Problem
Author Message
 VB3 Win98 Printing Problem

What a cop out! It seems logical to me that if your app runs fine in Win 3.1 and 95
but not in 98, its "unsuppported" status has nothing to do with the problem. Wish you
luck.
Quote:

>Added note:
>I called Microsoft "support" and spoke to
>three different people. The only definitive
>information I got was that VB 3 is obsolete
>and programs written in that language get no
>support whatsoever. Now I wonder how soon
>VB 5 will be unsupported.

>> My VB3 app runs on Win 3.1 & Win 95.
>> It runs well also on Win 98 except for certain
>> printing actions which seem to be unstable.
>> Several users have experienced length-truncated
>> printouts, completely blank page printing and sometimes
>> normal printing. The problem can occur in a
>> short or long document printed from a file
>> or from a list box (each using separate sub routines
>> for printing) Several makes of computers and printers
>> exhibit some variants of this problem.
>> Does this suggest some kind of spooling problem
>> or can anyone suggest a lead to follow?
>> Thanks.
>> Graham

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3 Win98 Printing Problem
My VB3 app runs on Win 3.1 & Win 95.
It runs well also on Win 98 except for certain
printing actions which seem to be unstable.
Several users have experienced length-truncated
printouts, completely blank page printing and sometimes
normal printing. The problem can occur in a
short or long document printed from a file
or from a list box (each using separate sub routines
for printing) Several makes of computers and printers
exhibit some variants of this problem.
Does this suggest some kind of spooling problem
or can anyone suggest a lead to follow?
Thanks.
Graham

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3 Win98 Printing Problem
Added note:
I called Microsoft "support" and spoke to
three different people. The only definitive
information I got was that VB 3 is obsolete
and programs written in that language get no
support whatsoever. Now I wonder how soon
VB 5 will be unsupported.
Quote:

> My VB3 app runs on Win 3.1 & Win 95.
> It runs well also on Win 98 except for certain
> printing actions which seem to be unstable.
> Several users have experienced length-truncated
> printouts, completely blank page printing and sometimes
> normal printing. The problem can occur in a
> short or long document printed from a file
> or from a list box (each using separate sub routines
> for printing) Several makes of computers and printers
> exhibit some variants of this problem.
> Does this suggest some kind of spooling problem
> or can anyone suggest a lead to follow?
> Thanks.
> Graham

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3 Win98 Printing Problem
Graham,

What are you doing to print (i.e. what is the code that does the
printing)? Can you print the same document twice with two different
results, or is it different every time?

If you can be a little more specific on what the problem is maybe we can
help.

Robert

Quote:

--
Robert Nitsos
Programmer/Analyst

http://www.clientaccounting.com

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3 Win98 Printing Problem
One sub reads a random access file record by record.
There are several types of records and for each the code
selects user-defined fields, formats & prints them, counts lines,
uses newpage then enddoc.
The other sub does a similar task but simply reads a listbox and prints
each line.

The results are different from run to run- sometimes OK
other times truncated (usually no error messages appear
printing just stops) or nothing but blank pages. Re-booting
works sometimes. The .exe  contains no known viruses.
Under Win 95 there are no problems. The same code is executed
perfectly on a variety of computers & printers, and no errors occur.
All of the non-printing code in the 1.1MB .exe works as designed under
Win 95 & Win 98
The two codes are long & tedious so I hesitate to post them.
Graham
=================================

Quote:

> Graham,

> What are you doing to print (i.e. what is the code that does the
> printing)? Can you print the same document twice with two different
> results, or is it different every time?

> If you can be a little more specific on what the problem is maybe we can
> help.

> Robert

> > My VB3 app runs on Win 3.1 & Win 95.
> > It runs well also on Win 98 except for certain
> > printing actions which seem to be unstable.
> > Several users have experienced length-truncated
> > printouts, completely blank page printing and sometimes
> > normal printing. The problem can occur in a
> > short or long document printed from a file
> > or from a list box (each using separate sub routines
> > for printing) Several makes of computers and printers
> > exhibit some variants of this problem.
> > Does this suggest some kind of spooling problem
> > or can anyone suggest a lead to follow?
> > Thanks.
> > Graham

> --
> Robert Nitsos
> Programmer/Analyst
> Client Accounting Systems, Inc.

> http://www.clientaccounting.com

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3 Win98 Printing Problem

Quote:

>I called Microsoft "support" and spoke to
>three different people. The only definitive
>information I got was that VB 3 is obsolete
>and programs written in that language get no
>support whatsoever. Now I wonder how soon
>VB 5 will be unsupported.

Sigh.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with VB3 itself; it's the fact that it's a
16-bit program that triggers this response.

MS wants to kill off every 16 bit program by yesterday.

But, the fact that it's THEIR product, makes this attitude quite
difficult to swallow.

        Bart.

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB3 project and Win98 Problem

2. Raw printing problem in win98

3. Win98 Client printing problem

4. Printing problem in VB3/Crystal Report- application

5. vb3 printing problem along with ms-access

6. VB3 in WIN98

7. Why are VB3 form colors incorrect under Win98 ?

8. VB3: Modal forms don't behave properly under Win98

9. Curious Printing Problem VB3

10. VB3: modal form gets hidden by main MDI form in Win98

11. Install VB3 on Win98 PC?

12. VB3 and Win98 ?