Problem with VB setup kit/VER.DLL/Windows 95
Author Message
 Problem with VB setup kit/VER.DLL/Windows 95

I have a VB application which uses a standard VB setup kit type installation
program, but it won't install on my PC which is running Windows 95 (build 490).

When I run the setup program the message "Initialising setup" appears followed immediately by a
message box which says:

        Error - Could not copy file: VER.DL_ -> C:\WINDOWS\ver.dl

(Yes it does say dl not dll at the end.)

There is a VER.DLL in my C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory, but none in C:\WINDOWS.
I had no trouble installing this application before I changed to Windows 95.

Has anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Mark

Tue, 30 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem with VB setup kit/VER.DLL/Windows 95
The problem described below sounds very similar to one that I've been trying to eliminate with the
VB Setup Kit in VB Pro 3.0...

It seems that some DLL's are open that your setup program is trying to update or copy over.
These DLL's may have been opened up by Windows itself - in WFW3.11 and Win3.1 is where _I've_ seen it.
In my test case, there was no Load= or Run= parameters in WIN.INI, and there were no programs in the Startup
group.  I get an error for several DLL's that my setup disk tries to update:
"Error - Could not copy file: A:\DDEML.DL_ -> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDEML.DL_"
SETUPKT.DLL is another.

I've read in a VB FAQ somewhere that this is a problem with the Setup program included with VB.  I also called
Microsoft, and they told me that this was normal, and offered no solution.  The FAQ's recommendation was
to use a third-party setup utility, such as WISE.  I haven't gone this far with it yet.

Hope this helps.

Richard Haus

Quote:
>I have a VB application which uses a standard VB setup kit type installation
>program, but it won't install on my PC which is running Windows 95 (build 490).

>When I run the setup program the message "Initialising setup" appears followed immediately by a
>message box which says:

>    Error - Could not copy file: VER.DL_ -> C:\WINDOWS\ver.dl

>(Yes it does say dl not dll at the end.)

>There is a VER.DLL in my C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory, but none in C:\WINDOWS.
>I had no trouble installing this application before I changed to Windows 95.

>Has anybody got any suggestions?

>Thanks in advance for any help given.

>Mark

Fri, 02 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Windows 95 B, Setup Wizard Issues Setup.EXE on Windows 95 A

2. Windows 95 B, Setup Wizard Issues Setup.EXE on Windows 95 A

3. VB Pro 3 Setup Kit under Win 95

4. VB 3.0 SETUP VER.DLL problem

5. Setup Kit - V4 - Win 95

6. VB Progg won't run on Windows 95 version 1 - OLE32.DLL problem

7. HELP - Problems with Setup kit VB3.0 and VBRUN300.DLL

8. Setup Kit and setupkit.dll problem

9. VER.DLL/Setup.exe Problem

10. SETUP Wizard Problem with VER.DLL

11. Making VB 3.0 Setup Files under Windows 95

12. Problems with vb40016.dll and Windows 95