Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!
Author Message
 Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!

I thought I was nearly finished with the newest version of my program, but I
have run into a semi-serious problem.  I have played with it many times to make
sure the iamges loaded correctly in my thumbnail viewer, but failed to notice
(until now) that it only loads the first 31 files.  Without the code, this is
basically what happens (leaving out non-relative matter like scrollbars, etc.):

There are two containers -- picThContainer (the container for picThArea) and
picThArea (the container for the thumbnails), and imgThumb, which is an array
of Image Boxes.  As the thumbnails are loaded, they are placed one on top of
another, with a small space in between.  After 31 files, it stopped resizing
the scroll bar (which was the first problem indicator).  I finally added a
MsgBox at the end to bring picThArea's height, and it says 54947.  Is this as
large as a picture box can go?

If so (God, I hope not), is there another control (not 3rd party, but in the
generic VB6 toolbox, as I have limited space on my page, and  am about 14K
short of my max) that will work as a suitable container?  Thanks alot.

~6
http://www.*-*-*.com/
"Great sex comes from experience;
Great lovemaking comes from the heart."

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!
The maximum height of a Picture Box is 2,147,483,648 twips tall (or maybe
slightly less than that due to scientific notation).  Without showing your
code, I cannot possibly tell you what is wrong.

--
Howard Henry 'Gawyn Ballpeen' Schlunder
Gawyn Developments; Core developer

Quote:
> I thought I was nearly finished with the newest version of my program, but
> have run into a semi-serious problem.  I have played with it many times to
make
> sure the iamges loaded correctly in my thumbnail viewer, but failed to
notice
> (until now) that it only loads the first 31 files.  Without the code, this
is
> basically what happens (leaving out non-relative matter like scrollbars,
etc.):

> There are two containers -- picThContainer (the container for picThArea)
and
> picThArea (the container for the thumbnails), and imgThumb, which is an
array
> of Image Boxes.  As the thumbnails are loaded, they are placed one on top
of
> another, with a small space in between.  After 31 files, it stopped
resizing
> the scroll bar (which was the first problem indicator).  I finally added a
> MsgBox at the end to bring picThArea's height, and it says 54947.  Is this
as
> large as a picture box can go?

> If so (God, I hope not), is there another control (not 3rd party, but in
the
> generic VB6 toolbox, as I have limited space on my page, and  am about 14K
> short of my max) that will work as a suitable container?  Thanks alot.

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!

Quote:
>I finally added a
> MsgBox at the end to bring picThArea's height, and it says 54947.  Is this
as
> large as a picture box can go?

I don't know what units you are using, but on my system the maximum height
or width of a Picture Box is 16383 pixels (245745 Twips). That's about 14
feet high - a lot of thumbnails! Just try:

Me.ScaleMode = vbPixels
Picture1.Height = 1000000
Print Picture1.Height

I would appreciate it if you would let me know what answer you get on your
system. As I have said, my limit is 16383 - but the actual limit may depend
on the system.

Mike

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!
I guess I'm wrong... it isn't 2147483648 twips.  Oh well, who cares?  245745
is quite a lot, isn't it?

Quote:
> The maximum height of a Picture Box is 2,147,483,648 twips tall (or maybe

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!
Hi;

    I am rusty on this, but check to see if the picThArea.AutoRedraw = True.
I think that this, the AutoRedraw buffer, limits the size of your
PictureBox, depending upon your graphics card. If the AutoRedraw is False,
your only limit should be the range for Long, the data type used to store
the size of PictureBox Height and Width.
    You probably do have the AutoRedraw property set true, because I noticed
you mentioned scrollbars. You may have to store your thumbnails in an
ImageList and redraw selected images to a virtual window defined by your
current scrollbar settings.

    This problem is similar to a drawing a large 2D tiled game map, which I
am currently working on (where large is defined as being larger than the
pixel area constraints of the video card).

Hope this helps;
Rick

Quote:

>I thought I was nearly finished with the newest version of my program, but
>have run into a semi-serious problem.  I have played with it many times to
make
>sure the iamges loaded correctly in my thumbnail viewer, but failed to
notice
>(until now) that it only loads the first 31 files.  Without the code, this
is
>basically what happens (leaving out non-relative matter like scrollbars,
etc.):

>There are two containers -- picThContainer (the container for picThArea)
and
>picThArea (the container for the thumbnails), and imgThumb, which is an
array
>of Image Boxes.  As the thumbnails are loaded, they are placed one on top
of
>another, with a small space in between.  After 31 files, it stopped
resizing
>the scroll bar (which was the first problem indicator).  I finally added a
>MsgBox at the end to bring picThArea's height, and it says 54947.  Is this
as
>large as a picture box can go?

>If so (God, I hope not), is there another control (not 3rd party, but in
the
>generic VB6 toolbox, as I have limited space on my page, and  am about 14K
>short of my max) that will work as a suitable container?  Thanks alot.

>~6
>http://members.aol.com/Privy6
>"Great sex comes from experience;
>Great lovemaking comes from the heart."

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!
    Just thought of another approach. Place each of your thumbnails into a
Image control array, where the container is a large PictureBox (AutoRedraw =
False). This way the scrollbars just change the origin of the large
PictureBox, and the Image control array controls will move accordingly.

[snip]

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!
I do appreciate all of your help very much, and you are going to hate me for
this, but I figured out what the problem was.  Apparently, the Picture Box's
size had nothing to do with it.  I was unaware that a scroll bar's maximum
value is 32767.  This means that all of the thumbnails load correctly, all in
the right place, but the scroll bar cannot scroll down far enough to see it.  I
am working on a way around this, but haven't thought of anything yet.  Thanks
for the help.

~6
http://members.aol.com/Privy6
"Great sex comes from experience;
Great lovemaking comes from the heart."

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!
Scroll two pixels at a time. You will then be able to use the Scroll Bar
from 0 to 65534 pixels - which should be enough.

Mike

Quote:
> I do appreciate all of your help very much, and you are going to hate me
for
> this, but I figured out what the problem was.  Apparently, the Picture
Box's
> size had nothing to do with it.  I was unaware that a scroll bar's maximum
> value is 32767.  This means that all of the thumbnails load correctly, all
in
> the right place, but the scroll bar cannot scroll down far enough to see
it.  I
> am working on a way around this, but haven't thought of anything yet.
Thanks
> for the help.

> ~6
> http://members.aol.com/Privy6
> "Great sex comes from experience;
> Great lovemaking comes from the heart."

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

2. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

3. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

4. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

5. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

6. Sizing picture control to max. height

7. Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?

8. Need help on how to scroll a picture box control (if it can be done)

9. Max Width and Height for Form

10. Setting the Min/Max Width/Height of a form in VB6

11. Max Width and Height for Form

12. Max Control Height