how to stop showing up in task box?
Author Message
 how to stop showing up in task box?

I'm developing a security program, and am trying to get the program nott
to show up in the task box, how can i do it? Plus not lett the users be
able to get at the program manager? Thanks for all your help, this group
is a godsend!

thanks,

Dave

     WHEN FREEDOM IS OUTLAWED..........ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE FREEDOM

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 how to stop showing up in task box?

Quote:

>I'm developing a security program, and am trying to get the program nott
>to show up in the task box, how can i do it? Plus not lett the users be
>able to get at the program manager? Thanks for all your help, this group
>is a godsend!

It sounds like you want to write a program manager replacement.  This
is doable.

John

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 how to stop showing up in task box?

Quote:
>I'm developing a security program, and am trying to get the program nott
>to show up in the task box, how can i do it? Plus not lett the users be
>able to get at the program manager? Thanks for all your help, this group
>is a godsend!

Your "t" key is sticking... :)

You need to make a system modal window. Be careful, though, if you don't
put in a way to end the program, you're stuck, because you can't reach
VB's main window to end the program. Here's the declaration:

Declare Function SetSysModalWindow% Lib "User" (ByVal hWnd%)

The form will remain system modal until it is destroyed. (unloaded)
Robert Woodcock | Note: Your standard disclaimers apply. |

................| it can be quite a curse) - Plucky Duck |

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 how to stop showing up in task box?

Quote:
> I'm developing a security program, and am trying to get the program nott
> to show up in the task box, how can i do it? Plus not lett the users be
> able to get at the program manager? Thanks for all your help, this group
> is a godsend!

> thanks,

> Dave

If you make your program System Modal, they shouldn't be able to get at anything
(I doubt you'll get taskman then)

You could write your own task manager that didn't do anything, and set that
in your SYSTEM.INI.

What do you mean by 'get at program manager'?
a)  Use it at all - Make your app. the shell=
b)  Change things around - edit the [restrictions] in progman.ini
c)  Switch to it whilst in your p/w program - use SetSysModalWindow
d)  If your app is the first thing to load (ie p/w to get in), make it the
    shell, then make it run Progman when it is finished.

Hope this is what you want...

ps.  Making windows secure is a total nightmare - so many holes...

--
I've got more important things to do than a {*filter*}y .sig file, alright?!

Tom Wheeley

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 how to stop showing up in task box?

Quote:

>>I'm developing a security program, and am trying to get the program nott
>>to show up in the task box, how can i do it? Plus not lett the users be
>>able to get at the program manager? Thanks for all your help, this group
>>is a godsend!
>Your "t" key is sticking... :)
>You need to make a system modal window. Be careful, though, if you don't
>put in a way to end the program, you're stuck, because you can't reach
>VB's main window to end the program. Here's the declaration:
>Declare Function SetSysModalWindow% Lib "User" (ByVal hWnd%)
>The form will remain system modal until it is destroyed. (unloaded)
>--
>Robert Woodcock | Note: Your standard disclaimers apply. |

>................| it can be quite a curse) - Plucky Duck |

In addition to the modal window idea,  you can modify the system menu.
Use the following declaration in the general section of the form

Declare Function GetSystemMenu Lib "User" (ByVal hWnd, ByVal bRevert)
Declare Function ModifyMenu Lib "User" (ByVal hMenu, ByVal nPosition,
ByValwFlags, ByVal wIDNewItem, ByVal lpNewItem$)
Declare Function DeleteMenu Lib "User" (ByVal hMenu, ByVal nPosition,
ByValwFlags)

Put in Sub Form_Load ():

Const MF_BYCOMMAND = 0
Const MF_BYPOSITION = &H400
Const ICON_STOP = 16

Dim hSysMenu As Integer

hSysMenu = GetSystemMenu(hWnd, 0)

NewMenuItem$ = ""

For I = 0 to 8
        If DeleteMenu(hSysMenu, 0, MF_BYPOSITION) = 0 Then
                MsgBox "Unable to delete system menu item!", ICON_STOP
        End If
Next
End Sub

This wipes out all access to the system menu.  As stated earlier,
better allow for an END statement somewhere.

Tue, 30 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 how to stop showing up in task box?

Subject: Re: how to stop showing up in task box?

Quote:
>If you make your program System Modal, they shouldn't be able to get at anyth
>(I doubt you'll get taskman then)

     Correct, Task Man will not appear.

Quote:
>ps.  Making windows secure is a total nightmare - so many holes...

     Hehehe. Sort of like making it stable.... So many holes.

_
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates, 1981)
QWicKeSST - The ultimate database QWK reader, and NO limits. #BLYGJOMK
Special Compile: 1.008A (Alpha)

'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.013A (Alpha) - (C) PBE

Fri, 02 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 how to stop showing up in task box?

Quote:
>>If you make your program System Modal, they shouldn't be able to get at
anyth
>>(I doubt you'll get taskman then)

>     Correct, Task Man will not appear.

>>ps.  Making windows secure is a total nightmare - so many holes...

I appears that it is getting worse. At least with Win 3.1 and WFW you could
make your program a System Modal and the user couldn't really do anything
about it (at least easily).

Along come Win95. Making your program System Model does nothing to speak of.
All you have to do is press Ctrl-Alt-Del and the "taskman" shows up. Just
terminate the program and lo and behold........

Dan Champagne
All opinions I express are my own.
They don't necessarily represent anyone else.

Sat, 03 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 how to stop showing up in task box?

Quote:
> >>If you make your program System Modal, they shouldn't be able to get at
> anyth
> >>(I doubt you'll get taskman then)

> >     Correct, Task Man will not appear.

> >>ps.  Making windows secure is a total nightmare - so many holes...

> I appears that it is getting worse. At least with Win 3.1 and WFW you could
> make your program a System Modal and the user couldn't really do anything
> about it (at least easily).

> Along come Win95. Making your program System Model does nothing to speak of.
> All you have to do is press Ctrl-Alt-Del and the "taskman" shows up. Just
> terminate the program and lo and behold........

You could always register your program as a 'service' in the registry
(Don't press me on this, a guy on IRC told me when I was asking about hiding
NetDDE)

And no I don't know where in that maze you can find it...

--
I've got more important things to do than a {*filter*}y .sig file, alright?!

Tom Wheeley

Sat, 03 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. SET UPS: Please Stop... AND Lood

2. Can I stop the export box showing...

3. image box screw ups?

4. stopping tasks

5. Stopping User Task Swapping in VB3

6. Look for another task and stop it?

7. TaskList - Stop End Task

8. Instructions Dialog box radio box to not show any longer

9. Stop showing alerts when sending mail by code.

10. Stop printing Window Showing

11. REQ: Snippet showing how to set tab stops in a list control

12. DoEvent Loop Stops Slide show