Moving from field to field
Author Message
 Moving from field to field

I am beginner in VB40 32 bit. I hav made a form and some texboxes on  it
and i can only move from field to field with Tab key and not with
Enter key (when i press it, is hear a beep).
How can I move with Enter key.?

Thanks,

---------------------
Trafela Bojan

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving from field to field

Quote:

> I am beginner in VB40 32 bit. I hav made a form and some texboxes on  it
> and i can only move from field to field with Tab key and not with
> Enter key (when i press it, is hear a beep).
> How can I move with Enter key.?

Place the following in the Text1_KeyPress Event:

'If Enter is pressed,
If KeyAscii = 13 Then
     KeyAscii = 0       ' Skip the Enter(Beep).
     SendKeys "{Tab}"   ' Send a Tab instead.
End If

Hope this helps,

William R. Gee

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving from field to field

 I am beginner in VB40 32 bit. I hav made a form and some texboxes on
it
 and i can only move from field to field with Tab key and not with
 Enter key (when i press it, is hear a beep).
 How can I move with Enter key.?

 Thanks,

 ---------------------
 Trafela Bojan

What you should do is stick with the Common User Access (CUA) standard
as implemented in Windows, and virtually every application written these
days.  This provides for movement between controls on a form to be by
means of Tab (forward) or Shift+Tab (backwards), or with the mouse.  The
Enter key is intended to activate the active command button with the
focus, if any, or the command button whose Default property is true.

If you change the behaviour of your program, you will make it
un-Windowsy and not familiar to a user who expects a normal CUA-style
interface, and who will find it less acceptable because of it.  The idea
of the standard is to make software predictable and familiar-seeming on
first use.  You should stick to the standard unless you have a very good
reason for not doing so (the only good reason I've come across is an
application which is intended to be high-speed data capture of numerics,
which makes the Tab key a long way from where the user is typing.

Sat, 08 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving from field to field

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:43:17 -0800, (a wild and crazy guy named)

Quote:

>What you should do is stick with the Common User Access (CUA) standard
>as implemented in Windows, and virtually every application written these
>days.  This provides for movement between controls on a form to be by
>means of Tab (forward) or Shift+Tab (backwards), or with the mouse.  The
>Enter key is intended to activate the active command button with the
>focus, if any, or the command button whose Default property is true.

This is the Microsoft standard.  Using the Enter and Arrow keys was a
standard for many years and people are still used to it.

Quote:
>If you change the behaviour of your program, you will make it
>un-Windowsy and not familiar to a user who expects a normal CUA-style
>interface, and who will find it less acceptable because of it.

Oh my boy, look at Microsoft Money (which is cheesey at best) they
have included enter key as an alternative to tab.

Quote:
> The idea
>of the standard is to make software predictable and familiar-seeming on
>first use.  You should stick to the standard unless you have a very good
>reason for not doing so (the only good reason I've come across is an
>application which is intended to be high-speed data capture of numerics,
>which makes the Tab key a long way from where the user is typing.

Keep in mind that users *USE* software, that is what makes or breaks
it.  Users are used to certain standards not what a Committe or
Company decides is a standard.

If you expect *ANY* data entry operators to use a mouse... Your
insane.  This will decrease their input speed in half.  This is why
many companies insist on keeping their Unix/Mainframe systems.
Windows is glamorous, glamorous is not necessarily the best.

I say you think of the job that you are trying to fit.  Design your
software for the operator in the best so that the user can use it
efficiently.

My two cents,
Tom York

Sat, 08 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving from field to field

Quote:

> How can I move with Enter key.?

Don't!  You'd be going against the Windows standard of moving around
using the Tab key.  Every other Windows app that your users make use of
will have taught them to use the Tab key, so it would be unfair to ask
them to use a different key in your application.

Tue, 11 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving from field to field

Quote:
>> How can I move with Enter key.?

>Don't!  You'd be going against the Windows standard of moving around
>using the Tab key.  Every other Windows app that your users make use of
>will have taught them to use the Tab key, so it would be unfair to ask
>them to use a different key in your application.

   Perhaps he's talking about the data entry habit of having Enter
save the info for a field and automatically move to the next field?
   If so, one might use the KeyPress event to check for the Enter key
and then SetFocus to the next field.

Tue, 11 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Enabling Tab Key to move from field to field

2. Moving from field to field

3. Using ENTER key to move from field to field

4. Moving a field on a report, based on value of another field

5. Moving field data between fields using VB 6 exe

6. Reading a field and using that field to place a number in another field

7. moving the fields

8. Moving fields

9. Auto Moving Fields

10. howto: move to field, insert OLE object?

11. Move to next field?

12. Date Fields on custom form move when using XPrint