Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
Author Message
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference

I have been offered Visual Studio 6.0 for $179 and see now there is
Visual Studio.Net.  Is Visual Studio still supported?  Is VS 6.0 worth
the $179.  I am actually not familiar with Visual Studio at all and
was just thinking of getting Visual Basic 6.0.  However, a friend
tells me Visual Studio is far better.  I am wondering if Visual Studio
6.0 isn't a bit obsolete by now though?  I would appreciate any input
or comments as I am obviously a beginner at this.  Thank you for your
help.

Best,
Ed

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:07:11 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
Well, VS.Net is not actually even released yet, its still in Beta.  I will
use VS6 for a long time to come.  There are still people using VB3 and VB4
out there.  Which edition of VS6 is it?

Quote:
> I have been offered Visual Studio 6.0 for $179 and see now there is
> Visual Studio.Net.  Is Visual Studio still supported?  Is VS 6.0 worth
> the $179.  I am actually not familiar with Visual Studio at all and
> was just thinking of getting Visual Basic 6.0.  However, a friend
> tells me Visual Studio is far better.  I am wondering if Visual Studio
> 6.0 isn't a bit obsolete by now though?  I would appreciate any input
> or comments as I am obviously a beginner at this.  Thank you for your
> help.

> Best,
> Ed

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:10:13 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
If you are used to using VB6, stay with Visual Studio.  .NET's version of vb
isn't really vb at all, it is much closer to C++.  Summary, .NET won't
replace VS for a long time to come.

Houston

Quote:
> Well, VS.Net is not actually even released yet, its still in Beta.  I will
> use VS6 for a long time to come.  There are still people using VB3 and VB4
> out there.  Which edition of VS6 is it?

> > I have been offered Visual Studio 6.0 for $179 and see now there is
> > Visual Studio.Net.  Is Visual Studio still supported?  Is VS 6.0 worth
> > the $179.  I am actually not familiar with Visual Studio at all and
> > was just thinking of getting Visual Basic 6.0.  However, a friend
> > tells me Visual Studio is far better.  I am wondering if Visual Studio
> > 6.0 isn't a bit obsolete by now though?  I would appreciate any input
> > or comments as I am obviously a beginner at this.  Thank you for your
> > help.

> > Best,
> > Ed

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:48:48 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference

Quote:

> If you are used to using VB6, stay with Visual Studio.  .NET's version of vb
> isn't really vb at all, it is much closer to C++.  Summary, .NET won't
> replace VS for a long time to come.

Of course it will, if only because Microsoft will likely break VS6 with
their next OS "service" packs. (in the animal-husbandry sense, that is!)
Windows XP already seems to have "minor" "inadvertent" "inconsistencies"
running the VB6 IDE.  Black-on-black option buttons, anyone?

This behavior is by design.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sign the Check! <http://www.xenu.net/>

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:40:19 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
Exactly.  Microsoft has already announced that the October 2001 MSDN release
was the last release that will contain full Visual Studio 6 documentation.

Karen.

Quote:

> > If you are used to using VB6, stay with Visual Studio.  .NET's version
of vb
> > isn't really vb at all, it is much closer to C++.  Summary, .NET won't
> > replace VS for a long time to come.

> Of course it will, if only because Microsoft will likely break VS6 with
> their next OS "service" packs. (in the animal-husbandry sense, that is!)
> Windows XP already seems to have "minor" "inadvertent" "inconsistencies"
> running the VB6 IDE.  Black-on-black option buttons, anyone?

> This behavior is by design.

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sign the Check!

<http://www.xenu.net/>
Quote:
> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:00:00 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
Fascinating.  I was unaware of this.  Thanks for the information.  So, MS
just continues to sap people for something that they plan on shoving under
the carpet.  Hmmm....

Houston

Quote:
> Exactly.  Microsoft has already announced that the October 2001 MSDN
release
> was the last release that will contain full Visual Studio 6 documentation.

> Karen.

> > > If you are used to using VB6, stay with Visual Studio.  .NET's version
> of vb
> > > isn't really vb at all, it is much closer to C++.  Summary, .NET won't
> > > replace VS for a long time to come.

> > Of course it will, if only because Microsoft will likely break VS6 with
> > their next OS "service" packs. (in the animal-husbandry sense, that is!)
> > Windows XP already seems to have "minor" "inadvertent" "inconsistencies"
> > running the VB6 IDE.  Black-on-black option buttons, anyone?

> > This behavior is by design.

> > --
> > Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sign the Check!
> <http://www.xenu.net/>
> > WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
> coming  to
> > because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
> ha ha!

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:07:00 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
There have been numerous professional articles released that argue that,
although sometimes difficult, you can do anything in VB6 that you can do in
this release of VB.Net.  VB.Net offers the advantage of greatly simplifying
and enhancing some of the more hard core tasks that you may try to do with
VB6; but that advantage doesn't mean that it can't be done with VB6.

VB6 will be around for quite some time.  It's still heavily integrated into
most Office versions (and those currently used Office version will likely
remain in use by homes and businesses for quite some time to come) as well
as many other professional software packages, including CAD and EDA tools,
used heavily in the engineering industry (albeit in abbreviated form).

VB.Net also has a very steep learning curve.  For the most part, even
multi-year VS users will need to spend a lot of time to get used to it.

Microsoft may try to say that it's cutting it loose.  But there's so much
support out there for VB6 outside of Microsoft that you'll have no problem
finding what you need.

Karen.

Quote:
> I have been offered Visual Studio 6.0 for $179 and see now there is
> Visual Studio.Net.  Is Visual Studio still supported?  Is VS 6.0 worth
> the $179.  I am actually not familiar with Visual Studio at all and
> was just thinking of getting Visual Basic 6.0.  However, a friend
> tells me Visual Studio is far better.  I am wondering if Visual Studio
> 6.0 isn't a bit obsolete by now though?  I would appreciate any input
> or comments as I am obviously a beginner at this.  Thank you for your
> help.

> Best,
> Ed

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:08:08 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
The final release has been available to MSDN subscribers since the 15th.
It's not beta anymore.

Tom Shelton

Quote:
> Well, VS.Net is not actually even released yet, its still in Beta.  I will
> use VS6 for a long time to come.  There are still people using VB3 and VB4
> out there.  Which edition of VS6 is it?

> > I have been offered Visual Studio 6.0 for $179 and see now there is
> > Visual Studio.Net.  Is Visual Studio still supported?  Is VS 6.0 worth
> > the $179.  I am actually not familiar with Visual Studio at all and
> > was just thinking of getting Visual Basic 6.0.  However, a friend
> > tells me Visual Studio is far better.  I am wondering if Visual Studio
> > 6.0 isn't a bit obsolete by now though?  I would appreciate any input
> > or comments as I am obviously a beginner at this.  Thank you for your
> > help.

> > Best,
> > Ed

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:46:58 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
Good info for everyone.  Thanks Karen.

Houston

Quote:
> There have been numerous professional articles released that argue that,
> although sometimes difficult, you can do anything in VB6 that you can do
in
> this release of VB.Net.  VB.Net offers the advantage of greatly
simplifying
> and enhancing some of the more hard core tasks that you may try to do with
> VB6; but that advantage doesn't mean that it can't be done with VB6.

> VB6 will be around for quite some time.  It's still heavily integrated
into
> most Office versions (and those currently used Office version will likely
> remain in use by homes and businesses for quite some time to come) as well
> as many other professional software packages, including CAD and EDA tools,
> used heavily in the engineering industry (albeit in abbreviated form).

> VB.Net also has a very steep learning curve.  For the most part, even
> multi-year VS users will need to spend a lot of time to get used to it.

> Microsoft may try to say that it's cutting it loose.  But there's so much
> support out there for VB6 outside of Microsoft that you'll have no problem
> finding what you need.

> Karen.

> > I have been offered Visual Studio 6.0 for $179 and see now there is
> > Visual Studio.Net.  Is Visual Studio still supported?  Is VS 6.0 worth
> > the $179.  I am actually not familiar with Visual Studio at all and
> > was just thinking of getting Visual Basic 6.0.  However, a friend
> > tells me Visual Studio is far better.  I am wondering if Visual Studio
> > 6.0 isn't a bit obsolete by now though?  I would appreciate any input
> > or comments as I am obviously a beginner at this.  Thank you for your
> > help.

> > Best,
> > Ed

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:55:24 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
Borland anyone?
BC++ or Delphi = NOT Micro$oft

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:56:19 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference

Quote:

> Borland anyone?
> BC++ or Delphi = NOT Micro$oft

I'm sure Microshaft will "cover" BC++ and Delphi along with Classic VB,
don't you worry about that!

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Wanna buy a Bridge? <http://xenu.net/>

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:13:12 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
  Black-on-black option buttons, anyone?

Yep!

Quote:

> This behavior is by design.

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sign the Check!

<http://www.xenu.net/>
Quote:
> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

Mon, 19 Jul 2004 02:29:43 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference

Quote:
> Black-on-black option buttons, anyone?

That's weird, my VB6 enterprise SP5 works perfectly on WinXP and has for
quite some time.  I've not seen this issue.  Do you have any information on
what causes it?

Tom Shelton

Mon, 19 Jul 2004 07:32:25 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference
Sounds like a video drive issue. I have seem similar to this before when the
video driver didn't match the card.

Quote:

> > Black-on-black option buttons, anyone?

> That's weird, my VB6 enterprise SP5 works perfectly on WinXP and has for
> quite some time.  I've not seen this issue.  Do you have any information
on
> what causes it?

> Tom Shelton

Mon, 19 Jul 2004 07:57:36 GMT
 Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference

Quote:

>> Black-on-black option buttons, anyone?

>That's weird, my VB6 enterprise SP5 works perfectly on WinXP and has for
>quite some time.  I've not seen this issue.  Do you have any information on
>what causes it?

He should stop playing those silly games. ;-)
Anyone noticed how windows icons (tray ones mainly) become blackened
after certain games exit ? Quite annoying, a refresh sometimes fixes
it, sometimes not. Not that i play games.. ::p

Regards, Frank

Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:00:33 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Visual Studio 6 and Visual Studio .NET

2. Visual Studio 6 and Visual Studio .net

3. WinXP-Visual Studio 6.0-Studio.Net compatibility

4. WinXP-Visual Studio 6.0-Studio.Net compatibility

5. Visual Studio.NET vs Visual Basic.NET

6. Visual Studio 6.0 and .NET Framework Issues?

7. .Net and Visual Studio 6.0 on the same machine

8. Helpfiles for Visual Studio (visual Basic) 6.0

9. Visual Tools 3.0 and Visual Studio 6.0?

10. Visual Studio .Net causing Visual Basic 6 problem?

11. VB.NET vs. Visual Studio.NET

12. Event Button in Visual studio net VB.net