I am trying to extract a program path from desktop icon
Author Message
 I am trying to extract a program path from desktop icon

Hi Paul,

That *is* a program path(?)  OK it's a short cut name but is it that you
want the target program path and a short cut simply won't do?
In most cases the short cut name is as good as the true path name.
If you want to prove it drag the icon to the Run command box to see the name
(will end in lnk) and simply OK it - Windows will  resolve the shortcut for
you and run the file.

I don't know the call to resolve the name yourself but where's the problem
in storing the short cut? OK people may move it but then they can do that
with the real target program file name anyways (and a short cut can have
parameters the user may want to run the app with).

Cheerio,
ian Laing

Quote:
> I am trying to drag and drop an icon from the desktop into a textbox ,then
> extract the program path,when I do this I get the path below for
calculator
> C:\windows\desktop\util\calc.lnk
> I need the program path so I can add it to database and use it in a
> hotkey program. I can drag and drop a file from file manager.but not
> a icon.please email me

>                     Paul Norrish

Wed, 07 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am trying to extract a program path from desktop icon

2. I am trying to extract a program path from a desktop icon

3. trying to extact path from icon on desktop,anybody know

4. How do I extract desktop icons?

5. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

6. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

7. Extracting icon from program exe?

8. Extracting icon from program exe?

9. Extracting a ICON from a running program

10. Extracting icon from program exe?

11. Setting up desktop icon through program

12. Program for Properties of desktop Icons