Why to use a TextBox instead of a RichTextBox
Author Message
 Why to use a TextBox instead of a RichTextBox

Today I use TextBoxes. But I'm thinking about to use RichTextBoxes
instead of TextBoxes (if you click on the right mouse button on a
TextBox you always get this stupid window with 'undo, copy, paste, ...'
- on a RichTextBox the right mouse button has no function).

Does someone know if there are any disadvantages of a RichTextBox
compared with a TextBox?

Any information is very appreciated
Stefan

Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:43:55 GMT
 Why to use a TextBox instead of a RichTextBox

Quote:
> - on a RichTextBox the right mouse button has no function).

It's controlled by the AutoVerbMenu setting.

One difference: An RTB is not part of the common controls.
You'll need to ship about 360 KB worth of extra
support files (RICHED32.DLL and RICHTX32.OCX).

> Today I use TextBoxes. But I'm thinking about to use RichTextBoxes
> instead of TextBoxes (if you click on the right mouse button on a
> TextBox you always get this stupid window with 'undo, copy, paste, ...'
> - on a RichTextBox the right mouse button has no function).

> Does someone know if there are any disadvantages of a RichTextBox
> compared with a TextBox?

> Any information is very appreciated
> Stefan

Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:30:31 GMT
 Why to use a TextBox instead of a RichTextBox
Plus, it is a "heavier" control than a textbox - more resources used since
it supports more functionality.  IMHO, the can't-go-wrong rule-of-thumb is
to use the lightest (resource-wise) control applicable to the current need.

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:48:54 GMT
 Why to use a TextBox instead of a RichTextBox
Thanks for your information.

Yep, of course you are right. But I'm not able decide if it's so bad to
use a RTB instead of a TB because of resources (okay, you're right about
the additional OCX).

Is it really so bad?

I would use TBs instead of RTBs but I don't like the menu on the right
mouse button.

Stefan

Quote:

> Plus, it is a "heavier" control than a textbox - more resources used since
> it supports more functionality.  IMHO, the can't-go-wrong rule-of-thumb is
> to use the lightest (resource-wise) control applicable to the current need.

> --

> Randy Birch
> MVP Visual Basic
> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
> Please respond only to the newsgroups so all can benefit.

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:06:35 GMT

1. Textbox instead of Richtextbox for saving text question

2. Using ENTER instead of TAB to progress to next TextBox

3. RichTextBox, but outputs HTML tags instead?

4. RichTextBox: Disable Word Wrap, use Horizontal Scrolling instead?

5. RichTextBox: Disable Word Wrap, use Horizontal Scrolling instead?

6. Help! Why RTF instead of Plain Text

7. SortedList, Why Parenthesis instead of Brackets?

8. why javascript instead of vbscript?

9. ~Why should one use VB instead of DELHPI?

10. Why a picturebox instead of form

11. ~Why should one use VB instead of DELHPI?

12. Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?