Editing an .EXE's icon with resource editor
Author Message
 Editing an .EXE's icon with resource editor

I would like to edit  an executable file's icon resource using the
resource editor in VC++ 4.0. I have two files I would like to edit, a
16-bit one and a 32-bit one . The 16-bit one opens and saves fine with
the new icon. When I try to open the 32-bit one, however, I get the
message: "Microsoft Developer Studio cannot save modified resources
back to this executable. This executable may be in use, or this
version of Windows may not support updating resources in executables."

This file is definitly not in use. I am running Windows 95 and get
this message every time I try to open a 32-bit file. If I can't modify
the icon of a 32-bit program with the resource editor, how else can I?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete

Please respond via e-mail......

Wed, 07 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Editing an .EXE's icon with resource editor

Quote:

> I would like to edit  an executable file's icon resource using the
> resource editor in VC++ 4.0. I have two files I would like to edit, a
> 16-bit one and a 32-bit one . The 16-bit one opens and saves fine with
> the new icon. When I try to open the 32-bit one, however, I get the
> message: "Microsoft Developer Studio cannot save modified resources
> back to this executable. This executable may be in use, or this
> version of Windows may not support updating resources in executables."

> This file is definitly not in use. I am running Windows 95 and get
> this message every time I try to open a 32-bit file. If I can't modify
> the icon of a 32-bit program with the resource editor, how else can I?

You can do this only on NT box.

--

 -------   Vlasti BROUCEK, MSc GradDipSci(IT)
| *   * |  Network Administrator/Programmer
|   !   |
| \___/ |  Psychology, Department of
 \_____/   University of Tasmania
           GPO Box 252-30
           Hobart  TAS  7001
           Australia

phone : +61 (3) 6226 2346
fax   : +61 (3) 6226 2883

Fri, 09 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Editing an .EXE's icon with resource editor

Quote:

> I would like to edit  an executable file's icon resource using the
> resource editor in VC++ 4.0. I have two files I would like to edit, a
> 16-bit one and a 32-bit one . The 16-bit one opens and saves fine with
> the new icon. When I try to open the 32-bit one, however, I get the
> message: "Microsoft Developer Studio cannot save modified resources
> back to this executable. This executable may be in use, or this
> version of Windows may not support updating resources in executables."

> This file is definitly not in use. I am running Windows 95 and get
> this message every time I try to open a 32-bit file. If I can't modify
> the icon of a 32-bit program with the resource editor, how else can I?

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks,

> Pete

> Please respond via e-mail......

No problem.

Simply switch to your Borland 5.01 environment and make appropiate corrections from there.

Perry

Wed, 14 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Editing an .EXE's icon with resource editor

Quote:

> > I would like to edit  an executable file's icon resource using the
> > resource editor in VC++ 4.0. I have two files I would like to edit, a
> > 16-bit one and a 32-bit one . The 16-bit one opens and saves fine with
> > the new icon. When I try to open the 32-bit one, however, I get the
> > message: "Microsoft Developer Studio cannot save modified resources
> > back to this executable. This executable may be in use, or this
> > version of Windows may not support updating resources in executables."

> > This file is definitly not in use. I am running Windows 95 and get
> > this message every time I try to open a 32-bit file. If I can't modify
> > the icon of a 32-bit program with the resource editor, how else can I?

I believe the documentation for 4 said that you must have WinNT in order
to do what you want and that there was no way possible to do it with
Win95. (And indeed, I've done it with NT)

--micah

Micah James Cooper      If a liar and deceiver comes and says, 'I will

                        be just the prophet for this people! Micah 2:11 (NIV)

Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Icon drawing from resource editor won't show in Alt-Tab window

2. Resource Editor - unable to edit strings.

3. icons and resource editor

4. Resource Editor Eating Icons etc???

5. VB6 Resource Editor - Icons/Cursors

6. resource editor (resedit.exe)

7. resource editor (resedit.exe)

8. resource editor (resedit.exe)

9. Where's the Resource Editor

10. Where's my Resource Editor?

11. Extracting Icons from Exe's Dll's Ico's into a ListImage Control

12. Update of icon resource in EXE