Wanting to learn VB...
Author Message
 Wanting to learn VB...

I am very interested in learning Visual Basic, but I am unclear
as to what package to get :
   - VB 5.0 Learning Edition
   - VB 5.0 Deluxe Learning Edition
   - VB 5.0 Pro
   - I have also seen the book `Learn Visual Basic Now' which includes a
`working copy' (what does THAT mean?) of VB 4.0.  Any comments
on this or on any of the packages above...(I have seen the Microsoft
WWW pages already)?

   My background...I am very familiar with programming (fortran, C,
and BASIC a long time ago) but I am very new to Windows and have not
used any other `visual' languages.

  My questions :

-   Which of the aforementioned packages (or books) may be best for me?
Obviously there will not lkely be ONE answer to this...

-  In the Learning Edition, is there `enough there' to do a lot of VB
work, or will I have to upgrade to VB Pro after a very short time?

- For `Learn Visual Basic Now', is it better to learn on VB 4.0
and then move up or just get the VB 5.0 Learning Edition?

I want to start into VB, but do not want to spend $50
on a `simplified' package only to have to go out and spend $100+
on more books (or upgrade!) right afterwards to learn how to use it
properly!  If VB 5.0 Pro and the included (?) documentation is what I
should go for then so be it, but I have NOT used VB before so I thought
I would ask!
(Also, if I do NOT need to spend all the money for the more expensive
versions right away that would be fine too...although useability
and functionality are my main concerns)

   Thanks for any help!

  Pat Durrell

Thu, 21 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Wanting to learn VB...

FWIW, I am in a similar situation to you. I choose to get the Deluxe Learning
edition, which includes VB5 and the MSPress book "Step by Step". Incidently,
you can purchase it for around $65 from www.bookpool.com. I figure I will
eventually upgrade to the "Pro" edition. However, the Pro edition is $400+,
whereas you can buy the Learning Edition for $65 and then upgrade to the Pro
for around $225 :-) I don't know why - It doesn't make sense to me, but going
the way I have is cheaper!

The books that seem to be most highly recommended are: "Doing Objects in VB5"
by Kurata; "MS VB Developer's Workshop" by Craig; (A 5.0 version is due to be
published 6/1); and "Art of Programming with VB" by Warhol. An alternative to
these books seems to be "VB Interactive Course" by Waite Group.

Hope this helps. Good luck to both of us.

Quote:

>I am very interested in learning Visual Basic, but I am unclear
>as to what package to get :
>  My questions :

>-   Which of the aforementioned packages (or books) may be best for me?
>Obviously there will not lkely be ONE answer to this...

>-  In the Learning Edition, is there `enough there' to do a lot of VB
>work, or will I have to upgrade to VB Pro after a very short time?

>- For `Learn Visual Basic Now', is it better to learn on VB 4.0
>and then move up or just get the VB 5.0 Learning Edition?

>  Pat Durrell

Sam Schleman

Fri, 22 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Wanting to learn VB...

Pat:

With your background you are likely to pick it up and not get frustrated
with it. Thus, my suggestion is to go ahead and spend the extra money and
get Pro and not mess around with the other ones. Pro lets you do 16-bit
(and this is important otherwise you'd be looking at VB5) It also ships
with more controls(useful ones) and also more docs.

Dave

Quote:
> I am very interested in learning Visual Basic, but I am unclear
> as to what package to get ..............................:

Fri, 22 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Wanting to learn VB 6?

2. Can you help a 16 yr old Wanting to learn VB 4

3. Anyone wants to learn VB

4. Wanting to learn VB

5. Newbie wants to Learning VBA

6. Testers for multilanguage learning program wanted!

7. Wanted: VB5 Learning Version

8. Newbie--Wants to learn about RTF

9. Begginer wants to learn

10. Wanting to learn Visual Basic

11. Wanting to learn Visual Basic, need help....

12. Wants To Learn VBScript