Question about VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard
Author Message
 Question about VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

I'm trying to understand how to make sure when I package a program that it
will have every thing needed.
I made a program that has exe, jpg, wav files.  If I understand correctly I
must add these file during the package & deployment process.  VB6 doesn't
automatically  put these files into the package.....is this correct or
not??? If true,
I am also using the program RealAudio to play the wav files.  Even though
RealAudio is over 7 MB"s if you are not sure that
another pc has the RealAudio program installed, should I package it along
with my program?  If so, then how would you get RealAudio to automaically
install while installing the program you made.

I am not sure that I explained this  very well.  Maybe someone can just
explain exactly what the Package & Deployment wizard will and will not do?

thank you very much

Larry

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Question about VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard
Larry

I'm no expert on P & D W, but since no one else has taken a run at your
question, I'll tell you what I can.

Yes, you will have to manually add your jpg, etc. files while you are
running P & D W.  There comes a time toward the end of the P & D W when
the program will prompt you to add any files that it has not already
included.

Sounds like you will have to include Real Audio with your program.  I
beliee that you can edit the installation files from P & D W to install
a program such as Real Audio.  You will need to make sure that you have
the appropriate distribution licenses.  A secondary problem you will
encounter if you rely on users to do their own install of Real Audio is
that you will have no control over the directory where it is located,
and so your VB program may not be able to find and use it.

There are third party installation programs available that may better
suit your purpose, and might be worth exploring.  I wrote a
(relatively) small db program a couple of years ago, and the P & D W
installation disks numbered seven.  When I prepared installation disks
using InstallShield, it took two disks.

The whole area of the P & D W is pretty arcane.  When Deja gets back up
to full speed, it would be worth searching on the subject.  Over the
last couple of years, there have been some very good posts in this news
group, particularly dealing with DCOM, which is also probably going to
be become an issue for you.

Russ

Quote:
> I'm trying to understand how to make sure when I package a program
that it
> will have every thing needed.
> I made a program that has exe, jpg, wav files.  If I understand
correctly I
> must add these file during the package & deployment process.  VB6
doesn't
> automatically  put these files into the package.....is this correct or
> not??? If true,
> I am also using the program RealAudio to play the wav files.  Even
though
> RealAudio is over 7 MB"s if you are not sure that
> another pc has the RealAudio program installed, should I package it
along
> with my program?  If so, then how would you get RealAudio to
automaically
> install while installing the program you made.

> I am not sure that I explained this  very well.  Maybe someone can
just
> explain exactly what the Package & Deployment wizard will and will
not do?

> thank you very much

> Larry

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Question about VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard
Thank you Russ, I didn't think about distribution licenses.  Thanks for
reminding me.  I Think I will use Windows Media Player.  This comming with
Windows OS I should not have a problem with distribution licenses.  Am I
right about this??

Larry

Quote:

> Larry

> I'm no expert on P & D W, but since no one else has taken a run at your
> question, I'll tell you what I can.

> Yes, you will have to manually add your jpg, etc. files while you are
> running P & D W.  There comes a time toward the end of the P & D W when
> the program will prompt you to add any files that it has not already
> included.

> Sounds like you will have to include Real Audio with your program.  I
> beliee that you can edit the installation files from P & D W to install
> a program such as Real Audio.  You will need to make sure that you have
> the appropriate distribution licenses.  A secondary problem you will
> encounter if you rely on users to do their own install of Real Audio is
> that you will have no control over the directory where it is located,
> and so your VB program may not be able to find and use it.

> There are third party installation programs available that may better
> suit your purpose, and might be worth exploring.  I wrote a
> (relatively) small db program a couple of years ago, and the P & D W
> installation disks numbered seven.  When I prepared installation disks
> using InstallShield, it took two disks.

> The whole area of the P & D W is pretty arcane.  When Deja gets back up
> to full speed, it would be worth searching on the subject.  Over the
> last couple of years, there have been some very good posts in this news
> group, particularly dealing with DCOM, which is also probably going to
> be become an issue for you.

> Russ

> > I'm trying to understand how to make sure when I package a program
> that it
> > will have every thing needed.
> > I made a program that has exe, jpg, wav files.  If I understand
> correctly I
> > must add these file during the package & deployment process.  VB6
> doesn't
> > automatically  put these files into the package.....is this correct or
> > not??? If true,
> > I am also using the program RealAudio to play the wav files.  Even
> though
> > RealAudio is over 7 MB"s if you are not sure that
> > another pc has the RealAudio program installed, should I package it
> along
> > with my program?  If so, then how would you get RealAudio to
> automaically
> > install while installing the program you made.

> > I am not sure that I explained this  very well.  Maybe someone can
> just
> > explain exactly what the Package & Deployment wizard will and will
> not do?

> > thank you very much

> > Larry

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Question about VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

Quote:
>I am also using the program RealAudio to play the wav files.  Even though
>RealAudio is over 7 MB"s if you are not sure that
>another pc has the RealAudio program installed, should I package it along
>with my program?  If so, then how would you get RealAudio to automaically
>install while installing the program you made.

The better question than "Can I install RA with the P & D Wizard" is "Why am
I using RealAudio to play WAV files"?

No, I don't know how to play WAV files with VB, but I do know that with a 5
minute search on Deja or MSDN I could find out.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Package & Deployment Wizard Questions (VB6)

2. VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard Question

3. VB6 and Package & Deployment Wizard

4. VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard

5. VB6, Package & Deployment Wizard Help

6. VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

7. Errors from VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

8. Package&Deployment Wizard VB6

9. VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

10. question about the Package & Deployment Wizard

11. about the Package and Deployment Wizard (VB6)

12. VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File