VBA : protecting my code
Author Message
 VBA : protecting my code

Hi all,

hopefully a simple question..

Is there any way to prevent the code in my excel reports being seen (and
therefore copied)?  I can hide the module sheet, and protect that sheet,
but all they need to do is unhide the sheet, and then highlight all the
code, Ctrl-C, open a new module sheet, Ctrl-V and thats it.  They can amend
and/or copy all my work, and give it away.

I dont know much about the compile options to turn the stuff into an
add-in, would I just copy the module sheets only into another workbook, and
compile this?
Would the sheet which needed the report automatically reference the new
add-in, and vice-versa, as the code basically manipulates data in the
workbook.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Mark

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VBA : protecting my code

Quote:

>Hi all,
>hopefully a simple question..
>Is there any way to prevent the code in my excel reports being seen (and
>therefore copied)?  I can hide the module sheet, and protect that sheet,
>but all they need to do is unhide the sheet, and then highlight all the
>code, Ctrl-C, open a new module sheet, Ctrl-V and thats it.  They can amend
>and/or copy all my work, and give it away.
>I dont know much about the compile options to turn the stuff into an
>add-in, would I just copy the module sheets only into another workbook, and
>compile this?

Just create the addin; it will have a different extension (.XLA).

Quote:
>Would the sheet which needed the report automatically reference the new
>add-in, and vice-versa, as the code basically manipulates data in the
>workbook.

Yes.

Remember, even addins can be decompiled by those who have the need.  There is an
interesting article in the current 'Visual Basic Programmers Journal' about
protecting VBA code from decompiling.

Tue, 18 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Protect VBA code through code.

2. code for excel vba command button macro sheet protect and password

3. How to protect VBA Code

4. Protecting my VBA

5. A tough one! Import password protected VBA

6. Linking Tables in Password protected databases using VBA

7. protect folders by VBA in Outlook 2000

8. How to protect a document from VBA?

9. password protect VBA project

10. Protecting a paragraph with VBA

11. Unlocking VBA add-in that is Password protected

12. Protect a project using VBA