Problems getting Telnet to work under winsock (VB)
Author Message
 Problems getting Telnet to work under winsock (VB)

I dug into the protocols for smtp, pop3, ftp, etc... made neat little client
prototypes that work great (helps that I'm also a unix admin... hehe).
BUT... I've hit a roadblock on telnet.

Most protocols return plain text responses, including for the initial
connection.  It's easy to work with.  But whenever I make a regular telnet
connection I get back gibberish.  I can't make heads or tails of it.  The
number of characters don't even match up to what it's supposed to say (and I
verified that my server is indeed telnettable).

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?  Is it a matter of telnet needing
a little extra help, or am I supposed to process this gibberish before I can
read it?

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 07:57:26 GMT
 Problems getting Telnet to work under winsock (VB)
You can find the answer at www.vbip.com. Sorry I can't give you an exact
link at the moment.

Gary

Quote:
> I dug into the protocols for smtp, pop3, ftp, etc... made neat little
client
> prototypes that work great (helps that I'm also a unix admin... hehe).
> BUT... I've hit a roadblock on telnet.

> Most protocols return plain text responses, including for the initial
> connection.  It's easy to work with.  But whenever I make a regular telnet
> connection I get back gibberish.  I can't make heads or tails of it.  The
> number of characters don't even match up to what it's supposed to say (and
> verified that my server is indeed telnettable).

> Anyone have any idea what the problem is?  Is it a matter of telnet
needing
> a little extra help, or am I supposed to process this gibberish before I
can
> read it?

Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:53:25 GMT
 Problems getting Telnet to work under winsock (VB)
The garbage characters from the server are part of the TELNET protocol
option negotiation sequence, where the client and server tell each
other about what options they support.

Our freeware SocketWrench package comes with a Telnet sample where the
server responses are parsed for IAC "Interpret As Command" and SB
"sub-option" commands, among others.  For a more transparent handling
of these commands, our commercial Visual Edition package includes a
Telnet OCX.

For further information about the option negotiation sequence please
see the following:

Telnet Protocol Specification -- RFC 854
http://www.catalyst.com/support/rfc/rfc0854.html

The SocketWrench package or an evaluation copy of the SocketTools
Visual Edition package can be downloaded from our website at
http://www.catalyst.com

David

Quote:
>I dug into the protocols for smtp, pop3, ftp, etc... made neat little client
>prototypes that work great (helps that I'm also a unix admin... hehe).
>BUT... I've hit a roadblock on telnet.

>Most protocols return plain text responses, including for the initial
>connection.  It's easy to work with.  But whenever I make a regular telnet
>connection I get back gibberish.  I can't make heads or tails of it.  The
>number of characters don't even match up to what it's supposed to say (and I
>verified that my server is indeed telnettable).

>Anyone have any idea what the problem is?  Is it a matter of telnet needing
>a little extra help, or am I supposed to process this gibberish before I can
>read it?

Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:12:19 GMT

1. Problem using telnet with winsock

2. Problems with winsock control for telnet

3. Winsock / Telnet Problem

4. Winsock control +Telnet problem

5. Winsock Problem with telnet?

6. Looking for VB source for telnet over winsock

7. Looking for VB source for telnet over winsock

8. Telnet using VB Winsock control

9. Help With Telnet, VB 4, and WinSock.DLL

10. Need Help getting VB app to Telnet using VT52 or better to HP client

11. Problem with my VB.NET telnet client

12. telnet app problem in VB