Compiled in Win ME won't run in Win98
Author Message
 Compiled in Win ME won't run in Win98

This is my first program & I don't know what to try next.

It was developed & compiled on a machine running Windows ME.  It's a quiz
program for high school students to practice their Latin vocabulary.  The
idea is that they can take a disk, copy it to a directory on C:\ & practice
at home.  The program will run on other ME machines without a problem, but no
luck on 98.  When you try & run it, it says it's missing MSVBVM60.DLL.  If
you copy that file from the ME machine to the 98 machine the next error is
that OLEAUT32.DLL is out of date.  When I tried to copy a new version of that
it said it was in use & wouldn't let me.

Is there a fix for this?  Better yet, is there an easy fix for this since I'm
sure all the kids won't be able to replace files on their computers if it
gets too complicated.

Thanks,
Cheryl

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,000+ groups

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:33:15 GMT
 Compiled in Win ME won't run in Win98

Did you create an installation package ?
I'm guessing not and you simply copied the execuatble over to the 98
machine. VB requires certain DLLs to be packaged up and distributed to
the target machine.
Look up the Package and Deployment Wizard. It'll be somewhere in your
VB folders, although you can put it into your Menu under VB using the
Addin Manager..
The PDW  creates an about 3-4 Megabyte package. This  you can take to
the other machine and properly install.

hth

Quote:
>This is my first program & I don't know what to try next.

>It was developed & compiled on a machine running Windows ME.  It's a quiz
>program for high school students to practice their Latin vocabulary.  The
>idea is that they can take a disk, copy it to a directory on C:\ & practice
>at home.  The program will run on other ME machines without a problem, but no
>luck on 98.  When you try & run it, it says it's missing MSVBVM60.DLL.  If
>you copy that file from the ME machine to the 98 machine the next error is
>that OLEAUT32.DLL is out of date.  When I tried to copy a new version of that
>it said it was in use & wouldn't let me.

>Is there a fix for this?  Better yet, is there an easy fix for this since I'm
>sure all the kids won't be able to replace files on their computers if it
>gets too complicated.

>Thanks,
>Cheryl

>  http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups
>   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts

Regards, Frank.

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:53:28 GMT
 Compiled in Win ME won't run in Win98

The VB 'executable' cannot run standalone--it needs several supporting
libraries, the VB virtual machine among them.  If you want to distribute a
VB program to a machine that doesn't already have a VB program installed on
it you need to create a VB setup package.  Please see the Package &
Deployment Wizard (PDW).

IMO, consider using Delphi (www.borland.com) to write your app.  Delphi can
create standalone executables, and you can go back to your distribution
method of copying just the executable.  While current versions of Delphi are
rather expensive, old versions--see egghead.com or ebay?--are cheap.

--A

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:51:55 GMT
 Compiled in Win ME won't run in Win98
Usually, you have to create a Deployment package of you program so that your
program can be 'installed' on other systems with all the necessary support files.
It is sheer luck that your particular program runs on other ME's that you have
tried.  Have a look at the Deployment and Package Wizard.  The Wizard has the
option to create a deployment package for floppy disk distribution.  When
completed, you should find folders in the location you specified named Disk1, Disk2
etc.  Likely you will wind up with 2 disks, possibly 3.  Copy the contents of each
Disk folder to a floppy disc.  On the target machine, copy the disks to a temp
location; run setup.exe.

Rob

Quote:

> This is my first program & I don't know what to try next.

> It was developed & compiled on a machine running Windows ME.  It's a quiz
> program for high school students to practice their Latin vocabulary.  The
> idea is that they can take a disk, copy it to a directory on C:\ & practice
> at home.  The program will run on other ME machines without a problem, but no
> luck on 98.  When you try & run it, it says it's missing MSVBVM60.DLL.  If
> you copy that file from the ME machine to the 98 machine the next error is
> that OLEAUT32.DLL is out of date.  When I tried to copy a new version of that
> it said it was in use & wouldn't let me.

> Is there a fix for this?  Better yet, is there an easy fix for this since I'm
> sure all the kids won't be able to replace files on their computers if it
> gets too complicated.

> Thanks,
> Cheryl

>   http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups
>    NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:13:37 GMT

1. simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt

2. Compiled vb exe's won't run

3. Why a compiled executable won't run on client's machine

4. Win98 program won't run on a WIn95 machine

5. Project Compiles, Won't Run

6. Help - Compiled program won't run

7. VB compiled on NT 3.51 won't run on 95

8. Compiled 16-Bit won't run.

9. Compile in Win95=>can't run in Win 3.1

10. VB6 IIS Application won't run after compile

11. VB won't run in Win ME?????

12. Help: VB4 on Win 3.11 GPF in VBA2.DLL and won't run sample progs