.GIF and .JPG Picture Controls
Author Message
 .GIF and .JPG Picture Controls

Hi, I'm new to Visual Basic and I have a most basic question for you expert
programmers.  I'm using VB4 and I would like to use a .GIF or .JPG picture
file in a picture box control, simply for small amount of space it takes
up.  As of right now, I can only get a .BMP picture into it and nothing
else.  Can a .GIF or a .JPG file be used in a VB4 picture control box?

Thank you,

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 .GIF and .JPG Picture Controls

Quote:

> Hi, I'm new to Visual Basic and I have a most basic question for you expert
> programmers.  I'm using VB4 and I would like to use a .GIF or .JPG picture
> file in a picture box control, simply for small amount of space it takes
> up.  As of right now, I can only get a .BMP picture into it and nothing
> else.  Can a .GIF or a .JPG file be used in a VB4 picture control box?

> Thank you,

No, but if you upgrade to VB5 it supports GIF"s and JPG's
Hope that helps

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 .GIF and .JPG Picture Controls

Hi,

I use VB5, in that it is possible. But i dont think it was possible in VB4,
look at type of files as u set the filename

Asim

Quote:
> Hi, I'm new to Visual Basic and I have a most basic question for you
expert
> programmers.  I'm using VB4 and I would like to use a .GIF or .JPG
picture
> file in a picture box control, simply for small amount of space it takes
> up.  As of right now, I can only get a .BMP picture into it and nothing
> else.  Can a .GIF or a .JPG file be used in a VB4 picture control box?

> Thank you,

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 .GIF and .JPG Picture Controls

Quote:

>Hi, I'm new to Visual Basic and I have a most basic question for you expert
>programmers.  I'm using VB4 and I would like to use a .GIF or .JPG picture
>file in a picture box control, simply for small amount of space it takes
>up.  As of right now, I can only get a .BMP picture into it and nothing
>else.  Can a .GIF or a .JPG file be used in a VB4 picture control box?
>Thank you,

ABSOLUTELY!

I don't remember where his page is, but you can contact

He has created the "GVOCX" control that will allow jpeg and gif
viewing in picture and image contols. I think it is also supposed to
allow tiff viewing, but I haven't been able to make that work.
This is a shareware type of thing. It's free to check out, but if you
want to keep it, or distribute apps with this, you need to pay him the
$40 fee he asks.

Since his e_mail is at a college, there is also a possibility that he
is no longer there. If that is the case, e_mail me and I will see if I
can't dig up the control somewhere. From his collection of goodies you
can probably find his address for sending his fee.

Good Luck.

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 .GIF and .JPG Picture Controls

Quote:

> Hi, I'm new to Visual Basic and I have a most basic question for you
> expert
> programmers.  I'm using VB4 and I would like to use a .GIF or .JPG
> picture
> file in a picture box control, simply for small amount of space it
> takes
> up.  As of right now, I can only get a .BMP picture into it and
> nothing
> else.  Can a .GIF or a .JPG file be used in a VB4 picture control box?

> Thank you,

Hi Mark,

the VB4 picture control doesn't support GIFs and JPEGs. If you want to
display
GIFs and JPEGs, you have to choose from three alternatives:

1) Forget it. Save your BMPs in the RLE format which is a compression
method that
is supported by VB4. Unfortunately it isn't as good as GIF or JPEG.

2) Upgrade to VB5. The picture box in VB5 supports GIFs and JPEGs.

3) Ask me nicely to mail you my Display OCX that I have written
especially for this task. (Recommended choice ;-))

Juergen Kaminski

Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 .GIF and .JPG Picture Controls

Quote:
>up.  As of right now, I can only get a .BMP picture into it and nothing
>else.  Can a .GIF or a .JPG file be used in a VB4 picture control box?

I don't think it's possible to place a .GIF, .JPG into a picture box with VB4,
but you can get "Wang Imaging" (for free) which has controls that support
those image files.

You can get it at:  ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/

I don't recall what the file name is, but I think it's: Imginst.exe

I'm not sure if you can distribute the control(s) with an app you plan to sell
 (or shareware), you'll have to read the license agreement that comes with it.

An even easier way is to just convert the .gif, .jpg to a .bmp file (Rle files
are smaller)  using the Paint Shop Pro (shareware) app.

Thu, 06 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Copy gif and jpg file in picture control to picture control

2. Copy gif and jpg file in picture control to picture control

3. Copy gif and jpg file in picture control to picture control

4. Copy gif and jpg file in picture control to picture control

5. Image control and pictures(jpg/gif)

6. GIF/JPG in Resource File to Picture control

7. HOWTO: GIF/JPG in Resource File to Picture control

8. HOWTO: GIF/JPG in Resource File to Picture control

9. GIF/JPG in Resource File to Picture control

10. VB5 Saving Picture as GIF or JPG - How?

11. Finding the Picture attributes for GIF and JPG.

12. Saving Picture Box Contents as a JPG or GIF