Input vs Input$
Author Message
 Input vs Input$

I'm using VB3.0.
I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
characters to read in is unknown.
Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?
Thanks in advance,

Keith :)

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

Line Input does the trick.
Thanx

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

Quote:

> I'm using VB3.0.
> I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
> Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
> don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
> characters to read in is unknown.
> Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?
> Thanks in advance,

> Keith :)

LINE INPUT is an old basic command, which is covered in the manual!

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

Quote:

>I'm using VB3.0.
>I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
>Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
>don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
>characters to read in is unknown.
>Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?

LINE INPUT

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

Quote:
>I'm using VB3.0.
>I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
>Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
>don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
>characters to read in is unknown.
>Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?

Look up Line Input # in HELP.

Lee Weiner

"The difference between a wise man and a fool
 is that the fool never learns from his mistakes."

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

Try using the 'LINE IN)PUT$' command, this will read a complete line

Quote:

>I'm using VB3.0.
>I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
>Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
>don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
>characters to read in is unknown.
>Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?
>Thanks in advance,
>Keith :)

|\  /\  /|
|*\/**\/*|
----------
When the going gets tough, its time to go home

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

test

Quote:

>I'm using VB3.0.
>I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
>Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
>don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
>characters to read in is unknown.
>Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?
>Thanks in advance,
>Keith :)

|\  /\  /|
|*\/**\/*|
----------
When the going gets tough, its time to go home

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

Try using the 'LINE INPUT$' command, this will read all characters in
a line

Quote:

>I'm using VB3.0.
>I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
>Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
>don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
>characters to read in is unknown.
>Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?
>Thanks in advance,
>Keith :)

|\  /\  /|
|*\/**\/*|
----------
When the going gets tough, its time to go home

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

Try using the 'LINE INPUT$' command, this will read a compllete line

Quote:

>I'm using VB3.0.
>I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
>Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
>don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
>characters to read in is unknown.
>Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?
>Thanks in advance,
>Keith :)

|\  /\  /|
|*\/**\/*|
----------
When the going gets tough, its time to go home

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Input vs Input$

try using the 'Line Input$' command, this will read ALL characters in
a line

Quote:

>I'm using VB3.0.
>I'm reading lines of data in from a sequential file.  I was using the
>Input command but it assumes commas to be the end of string (which I
>don't want) I can't use the Input$ command because the number of
>characters to read in is unknown.
>Any ideas how I can read in ALL characters up to the carriage return?
>Thanks in advance,
>Keith :)

|\  /\  /|
|*\/**\/*|
----------
When the going gets tough, its time to go home

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. input for input (2)

2. **Need Help with User INPUT, ASCII Codes, INPUT String length

3. Formatting date input in Input Box

4. Help: INPUT / INPUT # for gopher/UNIX files

5. API Call - Minimized App To Test Input of Mouse And Key Input

6. how to detect how long without any input since last input action

7. code similar to Qbasic INPUT and LINE INPUT keywords

8. Input# and Line Input#

9. How to disable/enable keyboard input and mouse input

10. how to detect how long without any input since last input action

11. direct input vs BCP

12. Open For Input vs Open For Binary