Here is a hard one.... Volume Serial Number
Author Message
 Here is a hard one.... Volume Serial Number

Hello-
  Anybody know how to read the "Volume Serial Number" off of a floppy?
(With VB, of course).  Remeber, this is NOT the volume name. Each disk
appears to have different #, you can see it with just a "dir" statement.

 Thanks in advance-

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Here is a hard one.... Volume Serial Number

Sorry,
   I forgot to mention I was using the 16-Bit verion of VB4... sigh.
 Anyone know a 16-Bit solution?

 Thanks again,
   Zane

Quote:

>The following is my function to get the volume serial number. This number is
created
>each time the disk is formatted and based on the time it is formatted
according to old
>DOS document.

  < - snip ->

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Here is a hard one.... Volume Serial Number

GMT):

Quote:
>  Anybody know how to read the "Volume Serial Number" off of a floppy?
>(With VB, of course).  Remeber, this is NOT the volume name. Each disk
>appears to have different #, you can see it with just a "dir" statement.

Hey, NOT a {*filter*}e! For 16bit download from my website:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

(32 bit is even easier but you didn't say what you want).

Mathias Schiffer, Germany
VB-FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
NG-tips: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Here is a hard one.... Volume Serial Number

Quote:

> Hello-
>   Anybody know how to read the "Volume Serial Number" off of a floppy?
> (With VB, of course).  Remeber, this is NOT the volume name. Each disk
> appears to have different #, you can see it with just a "dir" statement.

>  Thanks in advance-

4/12/97

Hi :

The following is my function to get the volume serial number. This number is created
each time the disk is formatted and based on the time it is formatted according to old
DOS document.

Jeff Hong YAN

Option Explicit

Private Declare Function GetVolumeInformation& Lib "kernel32" _
    Alias "GetVolumeInformationA" _
   (ByVal sRootPathName As String, ByVal sVolumeNameBuffer As String, _
    ByVal lVolumeNameSize As Long, lVolumeSerialNumber As Long, _
    lMaximumComponentLength As Long, lFileSystemFlags As Long, _
    ByVal sFileSystemNameBuffer As String, _
    ByVal lFileSystemNameSize As Long)

Public Function GetSerialNumber(sDrive As String) As String
    Dim lDiskSerialNumber As Long
    Dim lDummy1 As Long
    Dim lDummy2 As Long
    Dim sSerialTemp As String

    sDrive = Trim$(sDrive)
    If Len(sDrive) = 0 Then Exit Function

    sDrive = Left$(sDrive, 1) & ":"
    Call GetVolumeInformation(sDrive, String(255, 0), 255, _
    lDiskSerialNumber, lDummy1, lDummy2, String(255, 0), 255)

    sSerialTemp = "" + Hex(lDiskSerialNumber)
    GetSerialNumber = Left$(sSerialTemp, 4) & "-" & Right$(sSerialTemp, 4)
    Debug.Print " " & GetSerialNumber
End Function

Private Sub Command1_Click()
    label1.Caption = GetSerialNumber((Text1.Text))
End Sub

Wed, 29 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Here is a hard one.... Volume Serial Number

Quote:

> Sorry,
>    I forgot to mention I was using the 16-Bit verion of VB4... sigh.
>  Anyone know a 16-Bit solution?

>  Thanks again,
>    Zane

> >The following is my function to get the volume serial number. This number is
> created
> >each time the disk is formatted and based on the time it is formatted
> according to old
> >DOS document.
>   < - snip ->

Zane;

Search for "vbio".  I use it on a vb3 app.  Can't say if it works for
vb4.  It does the serial number stuff, among other things.  It's marked
as freeware, and best of all it works!

--
Regards
/Don Ames

Please visit our web site at...
http://www.access.digex.net/~guu_sftw

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Hard Drive Volume Serial Number

2. Reading Hard-Disk Volume Serial No, CPU Serial No in VB

3. Volume Serial Number -- Easy One

4. Volume Serial Number -- Easy One

5. Obtaining hard drive's volume serial # in VB

6. HD VOLUME SERIAL NUMBER

7. I WOULD LIKE TO OBTAIN THE SERIAL NUMBER OF VOLUME

8. Retreiving remote volume serial number

9. HD VOLUME SERIAL NUMBER

10. HOW TO change the volume serial number

11. Volume Serial Number????

12. Determining Disk Volume Serial Number?