Get sound from Sound Card 
Author Message
 Get sound from Sound Card

How can I get sound from sound card?
I want tomake oscilloscope or spectrum, so I need to read data from
sound card. I know Winamp offers some dll's but I need access to
sound card itself...
Is that possible and how?
Any source code, tip or link is helpful...

By SysCold



Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:33:23 GMT  
 Get sound from Sound Card
Maybe the waveIn functions would do the trick for you, maybe take a
look:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mult...


Sun, 04 Dec 2005 15:29:09 GMT  
 Get sound from Sound Card

Quote:
> How can I get sound from sound card?
> I want tomake oscilloscope or spectrum, so I need to read data from
> sound card. I know Winamp offers some dll's but I need access to
> sound card itself...
> Is that possible and how?
> Any source code, tip or link is helpful...

> By SysCold

You can find info and demos of doing this through the Windows Multimedia API
(waveIn...) -- including an oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer -- at my
website: www.constantthought.com

And also at my old and abandoned website: www.fullspectrum.com/deeth

HTH
Murphy
www.constantthought.com



Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:03:21 GMT  
 Get sound from Sound Card

Quote:



>>How can I get sound from sound card?
>>I want tomake oscilloscope or spectrum, so I need to read data from
>>sound card. I know Winamp offers some dll's but I need access to
>>sound card itself...
>>Is that possible and how?
>>Any source code, tip or link is helpful...

>>By SysCold

> You can find info and demos of doing this through the Windows Multimedia API
> (waveIn...) -- including an oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer -- at my
> website: www.constantthought.com

> And also at my old and abandoned website: www.fullspectrum.com/deeth

> HTH
> Murphy
> www.constantthought.com

Yes, I've downloaded both but they are not working!
Everything runs ok but all I have is flat line!
Any suggestions?

By WhiteRavenEye <aka ColdRaven>



Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:16:07 GMT  
 Get sound from Sound Card

...

Quote:
> Yes, I've downloaded both but they are not working!
> Everything runs ok but all I have is flat line!
> Any suggestions?

My first guess is that whatever you're expecting to view (microphone, CD,
etc.) isn't what's selected as the input device in the Windows mixer.  To
select it, try the following:

1. Open the mixer applet (sndvol32.exe).
2. From the "Options" menu, select "Properties" to open the Properties
dialog.
3. In the "Adjust Volume for" frame, select "Recording".
4. In the "Show the following volume controls" listbox, make sure the source
that you want is checked.
5. Press OK.
6. Now select the channel you want in the mixer, and adjust the volume.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you should probably register on the
messageboard at constantthought.com and post about your problem.

Murphy
www.constantthought.com



Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:31:01 GMT  
 Get sound from Sound Card

Quote:



> ....

>>Yes, I've downloaded both but they are not working!
>>Everything runs ok but all I have is flat line!
>>Any suggestions?

> My first guess is that whatever you're expecting to view (microphone, CD,
> etc.) isn't what's selected as the input device in the Windows mixer.  To
> select it, try the following:

> 1. Open the mixer applet (sndvol32.exe).
> 2. From the "Options" menu, select "Properties" to open the Properties
> dialog.
> 3. In the "Adjust Volume for" frame, select "Recording".
> 4. In the "Show the following volume controls" listbox, make sure the source
> that you want is checked.
> 5. Press OK.
> 6. Now select the channel you want in the mixer, and adjust the volume.

> If that doesn't solve your problem, you should probably register on the
> messageboard at constantthought.com and post about your problem.

> Murphy
> www.constantthought.com

Thanks, that soloved my problem but... Yes there is always but...
It is slow... I know it's not your fault... VB is slow... But do you
know any way to accelerate it?
This version can't show it in realtime...

By WhiteRavenEye <aka ColdRaven>



Wed, 07 Dec 2005 02:22:26 GMT  
 Get sound from Sound Card

...

Quote:
> Thanks, that soloved my problem but... Yes there is always but...
> It is slow... I know it's not your fault... VB is slow... But do you
> know any way to accelerate it?
> This version can't show it in realtime...

VB, in fact, isn't particularly slow when compiled to native code.

I don't know what app you're referring to, so I can't really say.  Most of
the things on my site are meant as demos, so they aren't really tuned for
performance.  But most of them are quite fast anyway.  Also, as it concerns,
say, the spectrum analyzer, the concept of "realtime" is somewhat murky --
the spectrum analyzer does analyze in realtime, but it skips periods simply
because the design is really simple and dates back to much slower
processors... it could probably analyze contiguous audio on a modern machine
if it were rewritten that way.

There's already some discussion of speed and optimizing of the demos on the
messageboard on www.constantthought.com.  If you want to get deeper into it,
I'd say you should look around on the messageboard and then post there as
this is somewhat off the topics of the newsgroups.

Murphy
www.constantthought.com



Wed, 07 Dec 2005 05:14:52 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Sound Card <-> Sound Card Via Data

2. sound via sound card?

3. QBasic Sound Programs using Sound Blaster and Adlib Cards Here

4. Caputure sound from microphone ( connected with sound card )in VB6

5. Capturing sound info from sound card without a WAV file

6. Directing Sound to modem or sound card

7. Making sound through sound card

8. Urgent, How to: Play sound using sound card?

9. Urgent, How to: Play sound using sound card?

10. How to produce sounds without a sound card

11. Sample sounds coming through sound card

12. Getting Input Level from Sound Card

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software